HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2002, 12:55 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,869 Posts
Easy Extra

This one is built from the thickest "Zepron" (Depron from Air Dynamics - old NY Blimp) which looks like it is 3.5 mm thick. Because the Zepron comes in 2 foot by one-foot sheets, two sheets were used (it is one dollar a sheet) and the wing span was cut down to two feet but the cord in the center was increased to seven inches and the tips are four inches. The ailerons are 2.5 inches wide. Power is an M100 with eight cells instead of DXA with seven. Used a 4-mm carbon fiber tube for a spar and ran a piece down the fuselage instead of a spruce stick. The last little bit of the CF tube was used to join the elevator. The landing gear and pushrods are all 1/16" carbon fiber rods with the appropriate bit of wire attached with thread and CA. Epoxy was used to join the rest. Ready to fly weight 7.7 ounces. Flew it this morning using about half power because I only had a 2 amp ESC. It flew great! Can't wait for the 5 amp ESC. Plans are at fly electric.

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; May 31, 2002 at 01:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2002, 07:42 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,347 Posts
Nice looking plane ! Will check out your website.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jun 01, 2002, 03:37 PM
Dallas Meacham, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
Very nice

LenBFP
Wow you did a great job on that ! I wan to try it with some blue foam somtime. I built one but used a S/S wing and it had too much drag.

MY goal was power with an IPS but it took a GWS S300 to fly it and the weight was too much for the little wing. Great job John

This plane is now an acordian !
johnathan is offline Find More Posts by johnathan
Last edited by johnathan; Jun 01, 2002 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2002, 04:01 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Cool. I put a post up about this a while ago to see if anyone had built it and I'm glad to see someone has. Congratulations!

BTW, I think some people actually run their 2amp GWS ESCs at 5 amps regularly.
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Jun 02, 2002, 11:23 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,869 Posts
Thanks for the comments, that is not my web site, but one of my favorites.

Saw where the 2 amp ESC is rated at 4 amps max, it gets lots of cooling where it is, so - I tried it out full power. The 300 Mah NiMh probably won't give up more than 3 to 4 amps anyway. The stock 7" prop is on the M100.

Snap rolls nice. Loops nice from level flight. Figure 8 and inverted ok. No hovering though. Probably need to put a bigger prop on it and that can wait for the bigger ESC.

This thing went together fast. Real easy. Airframe cost less than $10. Most of that is in Du Bro control horns, micro EZ Link and GWS wheels. A lot of stuff that can be substituted for from the parts box.

Flies better than "And Now" or Drynlin (sp). Not so twitchy.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Jun 02, 2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2002, 04:00 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Interesting. I've had my eye on the 'And Now' for some time but the Extra is a lot better looking. Thanks.
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen