HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta152 View Post
I bought this airplane soon after it came out because I have always loved the look of the PC6. Upon opening the box I discovered it was missing the battery hatch. Contacted Towers and ask if they would send a replacement and they said they had no replacement parts so I ask if they could send me one from another kit and the answer was no. So much for customer service.

Then came the first flight where I became highly disappointed. On a landing I broke the plastic landing gear strut. Again no replacement parts but I learned a lesson.
No more Multiplex airplanes for me and no more orders from Towers Hobbies.
This plane seems an odd one out for Multiplex. Can't blame you for feeling that way, but my Multiplex Mentor is a durable, great flyer. The Toucan I'm still putting together seems solid as well. Perhaps better than the Mentor.

As far as Tower, if they wouldn't send me a hatch, I would have returned the plane for another (With all the pieces) or a refund.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:15 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
This plane seems an odd one out for Multiplex. Can't blame you for feeling that way, but my Multiplex Mentor is a durable, great flyer. The Toucan I'm still putting together seems solid as well. Perhaps better than the Mentor.

As far as Tower, if they wouldn't send me a hatch, I would have returned the plane for another (With all the pieces) or a refund.
I should have but had thrown the box away so I just chalked it up as a learning experience. Hopefully Multiplex will come up with a fix for the broken struts and I can get mine flying again. Until then it is just gathering dust with the broken struts.
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:04 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
125 Posts
Have you tried contacting Hitec directly? They might be able to set you up with what you need.

Regarding the landing gear struts, I don't think anyone will disagree that they're essentially junk and counter to Mutiplex's normally decent quality but there are some great solutions on this thread. I ended up replacing the upper struts with aluminum tubing and when the plastic broke down near the wheels (each side), I drilled them out and inserted some steel rod (could have used carbon like others have) and have not broken the gear in at least a dozen flights. Its a frustration but nothing a little bench time can't fix.

This is a fun airplane and I hope you get yours flying soon.
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Jan 30, 2015, 04:56 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
692 Posts
Tower had the landing gear in stock at least they did Wednesday when I was checking for parts for another plane. I was going to order a spare set but decided to just keep landing right.

Just checked they are in stock $17.95 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=MPUA2690&P=Z

JB Quick wield can fix almost any breakage on the plastic with a little whipping.

The landing gear are hard to figure out bang it in and no damage but hit just right and the plastic with the spring snaps at the retainer ridge for the spring, this is where I used the whipping and JB Quick.
Jeff………
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Jan 30, 2015, 06:01 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,163 Posts
My floats finally arrived! Backordered them from Horizon on Cyber Monday! At least she'll be ready for next month's float fly. No instructions so I'll have to look at their pictures for which strut goes where. No brainer beyond that.

As for my broken landing gear, I think I'll be making some metal upper struts. To each their own, but I'm not going to spend my money on more of the same landing gear.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
Switzerland, BL, Reinach
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Landing gear

The original landing gear is a kinematical faulty design. It is missing a hinge at the axle carrier.
For this reason there is genarated bending stress onto the struts at landing gear shock strut compression
--> the strut breaks.

Therefore I made new struts and axle carriers.
The axle carriers are made of composite sheets, the struts of aluminium tubes and carbon composite rods. The springs and the wire brackets are from the original landing gear.
Additionally I have installed a rebound stop.
Meanwhile I have made over 100 landings without any problems.

Rolf
topsecret1 is online now Find More Posts by topsecret1
Last edited by topsecret1; Yesterday at 06:09 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,163 Posts
Very nice! Way better than the Multiplex ones. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsecret1 View Post
The original landing gear is a kinematical faulty design. It is missing a hinge at the axle carrier.
For this reason there is genarated bending stress onto the struts at landing gear shock strut compression
--> the strut breaks.

The axle carriers are made of composite sheets, the struts of aluminium tubes and carbon composite rods. The springs and the wire brackets are from the original landing gear.

Rolf
Nicely done Rolf

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Salome, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsecret1 View Post
--> the strut breaks.

Rolf
I see a Cottage industry in your future, I will take a set! How much?

In sunny Arizona
Jim
Jamesxii is offline Find More Posts by Jamesxii
Old Today, 09:50 AM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
692 Posts
Nice Rolf, I'm going to rig up a set when I can chase down the materials, so for now I just keep gluing and whipping. I'm going to trim off just a little bit off the plastic rod with the spring and poke a bead of foam into the base as a damper.

I like your design Rolf.

Flite-Test uses landing gear simular to the Pilatus on its Stork which should work well too.
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Old Today, 12:50 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
598 Posts
Landing Gear Mods

Hey guys,

I think Rolf's mods are much more scale like than what I did. But if you want an easier solution to get improved performance take another look at my post #752.

Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris