SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
201 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone, particularly BJ, but everyone else too. Turns out that the stock ESC was stuffed/RS. I swapped an HK blue series 40A and it fired up just fine. The main reason I was asking about the stock ESC programming was because I had accidentally stuffed with the settings when trying to set max/min throttle... but as it turned out, the speedie was stuffed anyway. Now I just have to waterproof the HK blue series speedie with some epoxy or hotglue.

Thanks again!
symowallo is offline Find More Posts by symowallo
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,885 Posts
Glad to hear you've got it sorted, Symo.

And you wouldn't be the first person who's ballsed up the programming using the beep method. I always find it difficult to work out which one it's doing v's where I'm up to according to the 'manual' (that flimsy bit of paper).

If you can, get yourself a programming card. They're only a handful of dollars and work a treat - you can see exactly what you're changing. And even more importantly, you can see what is currently set (like slow-fast-medium timing, brake on/off etc.) Unlike the beep sequence, which only tells you which one you're about to change, but not what it's currently set at. Assuming, of course, you know where you're up to at the time

I've noticed that their definition of a tone sequence doesn't sometimes match what it is I reckon I'm hearing at the time. So then I don't know which setting I could possibly be changing or what the next one is going to be. I've sat through the whole thing several times now, and there's still the odd one that throws my reckoning out. You don't have those problems with a programming card. Just make sure you get the right card for your ESC. e.g. Turnigy Plush v's DLux v's whatever. So long as the ESC is running the same controller chip as the one you've got a programming card for, she should be apples.

For waterproofing ESC's etc, you could also use 'silastic' (or RTV silicon sealant or whatever the call it in your neck of the woods.) Usually comes in clear, white, or black.

Epoxy might be a pain in the arse if you ever need to get it back out again for whatever reason. Hotglue might also be difficult to remove. The silicon sealant stays nice and rubbery and is a bit easier to remove should you ever need to.

Plus it's great for repairing those darn polystyrene hinges that eventually give up the ghost and start breaking down along the hingeline just through constant use. Even moreso if you crash...

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
201 Posts
Thanks BJ. I do have a programming card for the replacement ESC so I'm all good there. But since I couldn't identify the orignal stock ESC I had to rely on the programming guide for ESC's that were seemingly similar... but the Plush manual is not the right one unfortunately.

And yep, I'll go the silicone route for the water proofing instead of glue like the HK factory uses. I've never used it for hinge reinforcement though, that seems like a good use for it though, what a good idea. My Durafly Mustang would definitely benefit from that too.

Cheers mate!
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
2,017 Posts
I make my hinges from strips cut from floppy discs . Cut about 20 mm wide 40 mm long make three or four tiny 2mm Holes in each end smear on some gorilla glue and push into slots in the wing the glue expands through the holes and holds really well
The floppy materials is really tough ..... Take a floppy apart and try to tear the disc

Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Austin TEXAS area
Joined Apr 2008
370 Posts
Where the heck do you get floppy discs these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
I make my hinges from strips cut from floppy discs . Cut about 20 mm wide 40 mm long make three or four tiny 2mm Holes in each end smear on some gorilla glue and push into slots in the wing the glue expands through the holes and holds really well
The floppy materials is really tough ..... Take a floppy apart and try to tear the disc

Jeff
pops57 is online now Find More Posts by pops57
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops57 View Post
Where the heck do you get floppy discs these days?
He must be as old as me (and a pack rat!)
I'm sure I have even some 5.25 floppies around somewhere!
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
2,017 Posts
I knew one day they would come in handy and yes I probably am and yes I definatly are

Jeff
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
201 Posts
Floppy disks...Wow. Just wow. I used to have hundreds of the things back in the 80's. I bet half of the forum participants probably wouldn't even know what they are.

I reckon you could even make a bit of cash by packaging up little hinge kits using old recycled floppy disks ???
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,885 Posts
The original floppy disks were 12 inches in diameter - big, and...um... floppy.

BJ
Old Today, 04:45 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
2,017 Posts
Bj how old are you to remember that or did you look it up in the scrolls

Jeff

If anyone makes hinges from floppys the 1-2 mm x4 holes in each end are important as the Gorilla glue expands through the hinge and acts like a internal rivet the hinges will not break and will not come out unless they bring a lump of foam with them
Last edited by Upup; Today at 05:02 AM.
Old Today, 06:13 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,885 Posts
Well... seeing as Noah and I are good mates... I'd say it's a while back now since we last chatted

While the floppy disk material is certainly tough stuff (and so is old x-ray film etc.), it doesn't seem to want to 'wick' all that well with CA.

Best cheap hinge material I've found so far is the HobbyKing material. You can buy it ready-made (cut) in various sizes, or single sheets where you have to cut it to the size you want yourself.

It's plenty tough, and wicks the CA in nicely i.e. it's strong, yet allows the CA to permeate through the material rather than gluing the whole control surface to the wing and to your forearm to the fuselage (as me how I know )

BJ
Old Today, 07:30 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
2,017 Posts
Do you know my son then have his clothes dried out yet ?

Use gorilla glue which works much better tan ca in this instance
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,885 Posts
Yes. He failed Biology 101.

And WBPU won't wick into the hinge material, whereas CA does it nicely

BJ
Old Today, 07:59 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
2,017 Posts
These hinges must slide internally via slots I have never tried them as " surface stuck" I use a different type of hing fir that job
Trust me follow my previous post I have never had a floppy hinge break or pull out without bringing part of the foam with it
Old Today, 01:47 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,116 Posts
I have used wick type hinges on balsa but on foam I prefer bubro pin type hinges with GG, getting close to maiden here so they will be tested
Mr.frankenjet is offline Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet