Old Jul 06, 2007, 12:36 AM
Lots foam, so little time
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,159 Posts
Discussion
What to do.....my plane

I have lived here for 7 years.
Monday was the first time that I stuck one of my planes in a tree.
I have brushed a tree here and there over time, but nothing this bad.
The plane, a 36Ē Aeronca Champ foamy, is about 50 feet up a bushy pine tree.
The tree is on the neighborhood nut barís property.
You know the type, heavy drinker out on probation staying at elderly motherís house. Loading up the front driveway with junk cars. joy. We don't have a HA. But that is another story.

The cost and bother of retrieval will out cost the price of the electronics on board.
4 servos, GWS RX, 10amp CC ESC, himax outrunner, 1100 3 cell lipo.

So I am starting this thread to post pics over the next few months of the weather effects on the plane.
I will update photos monthly.
By fall we will have the usual 30+mph wind; we will have to see what happens then.

I will be working on my depth perception but I am currently hit with a condition of CSR
Central Serous Retinopathy

I'll be flying at an empty park for awhile

Alright , the forum is now open to incoming brutality
More to come
DD
Depron Dave is offline Find More Posts by Depron Dave
Last edited by Depron Dave; Jul 06, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:06 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
You may be surprised..

I stuck an Aircore 40 trainer in a tree.. It sat there for over a year..

I went back one day and got it out.. Still have the engine.. However, after going to electrics, I don't use it..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jul 06, 2007, 03:54 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Uh, isn't the neighborhood a little cramped to be flying???

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jul 06, 2007, 06:38 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,574 Posts
Your neighborhood looks about the same size as mine. I fly in the street all the time and get my planes stuck in trees too much. I usually just ask the neighbor if I can climb the tree. But your plane looks up there a bit farther than mine.
I've often thought about a 2 string, controlable Kite, with a tail hook on a third string.
Or find a RC heli guy to snatch it out!! Good luck, Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jul 06, 2007, 06:44 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
Shoot the airframe to bits with a bb gun, and maybe the expensive bits will fall out.

I did that once.

Offer the neighbour 50 bucks if he can get it down.

With luck he'll break his neck trying.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 06, 2007, 06:49 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
the tree looks like it over hangs the street---call the town and see if they have anyone in the area that could get it out----- or you neighbor could always have an unsuspected power outage
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jul 06, 2007, 07:15 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,330 Posts
I agree that the street looks like a bad choice to fly such a nice plane, try going over there with a ball and fishing line and throw it close to the branch that it is caught on, if you can grab the ball and pull on it from the sidewalk, maybe it will come down. If you get lucky, just don't fly there again.

I fly small planes on my street, it is the Air Hogs "Aero Ace", I couldn't stand losing one of my foamie's with the more expensive ESC, motor, servo's, battery pack, etc, up in a tree, but I also lived .8 miles from the flying area I use, the front of a High School. Or for my smaller foamies, .4 miles from a smaller park.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jul 06, 2007, 09:25 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
It looks like it stuck pretty good in the close up shot. However, the branch holding it in doesn't look TOO big.

What about a Fishing Pole and heavy sinker. If you can snag the branch and pull it away enough, the plane might come down.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jul 06, 2007, 09:32 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Hey, offer him a cold beer and a bag of pretzels and he will probly OK the project (and watch and comment!)
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:25 PM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Dave,

Have not seen you flying at the Park for a while. So that's what you have been doing...flying in your neighborhood. Anyway, you may want to try the fire deparment. If they are not busy, they will come and get it down for you for free. I know a guy who flown a T-Rex heli into a tree. He asked the fire department and they got his heli down for him.

Rlu
rLu is offline Find More Posts by rLu
Old Jul 08, 2007, 01:08 AM
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,159 Posts
Hey Richard,
Just been a little busy working all over the valley. And controlling eye issues.
I'll try to get out there next week being that I'm back at the normal studio.
As for the Fire Dept. I think the occupants would freak, even if I asked them first, but that requires me to talk to them...and I really don't want to. Very unpredictable.( I'm being Nice)
DD
Last edited by Depron Dave; Jul 08, 2007 at 04:34 AM. Reason: gross misspellllings
Old Jul 08, 2007, 02:11 AM
Shozbot!
Austin Texas
Joined Jun 2007
71 Posts
I agree with the offer him beer option and see if he falls out of tree or gets stuck. If he get stuck the fire dept will have to come out and they can retrieve your model and leave him in the tree. If he falls out of the tree they have to come out anyhow and while there can retrieve it. Its a "Win Win Situation!"
dalosiman is offline Find More Posts by dalosiman
Old Jul 08, 2007, 04:32 AM
northridge California
Joined Oct 2004
1,159 Posts
hmmm
Old Jul 08, 2007, 07:01 AM
Joined Dec 2005
915 Posts
You can always use electrical conduit. Use the tree limbs as support and keep attatching lengths until you can touch it. You can add a hook to the end or fashion whatever you like.

I use conduit every time I am stuck. It works flawlessly. I use 1/2" pvc for short distances and 1/2" emt for longer ones with steel couplings. Be careful though you have to keep feeding up the tree, do not try to lift fifty feet of it. It will start to tip and hopefully not at someones house.

You then remove it one length at a time again using the tree limbs as support.

This conduit is cheap and if you know any electricians.........

The Fonz
The Fonz is offline Find More Posts by The Fonz
Old Jul 08, 2007, 08:49 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,200 Posts
Get a few lengths at Home Depot, slide it up into the tree a length at a time and once you have your plane back, since you kept the receipt you can take the conduit back. Use the PVC 3/4" for strength.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood