HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2001, 01:41 PM
Fayetteville, AR. USA
Joined May 2001
66 Posts
300 mah NiCd from Radio Shack

Picked up a couple of $1.97 packs of 300 mah NiCd phone packs from RS today. What is the best configuration for the Lite Stik? 6 or 7 cell or I am pushing the mah envelope too much and endangering my motor..

Thanks,
Garret
Gman is offline Find More Posts by Gman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2001, 01:45 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I'm using 270Mah Nicad packs x7 cell configuration. With any weight over 8oz I would not even bother with 6-cell configuration. I have had my J3-stick (the only stik I have EVER owned) in the air with the same motor combo since January-ish or so. Lots of hours, without a hitch....I even jammed my prop with full-power on for about 20 seconds with no damage done. I hear people even do 8-cell with out problems, but I am skeptical.
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 19, 2001, 02:29 PM
Fayetteville, AR. USA
Joined May 2001
66 Posts
Thanks!

It seems that the 7-cell config with the 300 mah Nicd would be the way to go.

Do you know what the threshold is for the Lite Stik motor setup as far as how much amperage to push through it or does that depend on the ESC?...or am I totally way off base?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2001, 02:51 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
I'm not real sure, but it is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 amps I think.

I think you will be real happy with the pack you selected......I broke my all time record for time in the air yesterday at about 15 minutes.....That was aided by some thermal stuff going on I'm sure. Typically I get about 7 minutes, and often get 10. Best of luck.

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 19, 2001, 04:55 PM
Castle Rock, Colorado
Joined Jun 2001
38 Posts
Gman, go with 7 cells. That is the best setup for that motor without frying it. A 6 cell pack will barely fly the thing. You could go up to 8 cells, but motor life starts to suffer. Mah is only the amount of energy in the battery, the higher the # the more capacity it has, and the more it weighs. The # of cells is what you have to watch out for. Stick with 7 nicads or 8 NMH and you will be fine. I flew mine with a 7 cell 500mah nmh pack and it stayed up forever, with plenty of power. Tom
Smitty is offline Find More Posts by Smitty
Old Jun 19, 2001, 05:46 PM
Fayetteville, AR. USA
Joined May 2001
66 Posts
Thanks Tom!

I just wanted to make sure I was not pushing to much juice throught the Lite Stik motor.

I could not pass up $1.97 per pack when they are regularly $9.99!

This will give me a good start toward a good supply of battery packs to for a E flying newbie like myself...

Garret
Old Jun 19, 2001, 09:05 PM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
469 Posts
Go to Wally Mart and get the 600 nimh phone packs for $5.99 they work great 7 or 8 cells.
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old Jun 19, 2001, 10:55 PM
Fayetteville, AR. USA
Joined May 2001
66 Posts
What is the story on the difference between NiCd, NiMh and Li batteries? I know that NiMh batteries have virtually no memory effect like NiCd batteries when it comes to charging but what is the difference in power? Do NiCd give more power but sacrifice time in the air? Do NiMh batteries have less power but more time in the air? I know..I know...too many questions.. Would really like a good explanation.

Thanks!
Garret