Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2004, 03:29 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
another Komet? but bit convertion

Sorry guys not pics yet

Inspired by Billy Stiltner and his idea about the tiny Komet, and as you saw before is one of my favorites plane I built one but with the bitcharger system, I got a new one ($13.00 dlls aprox) and started the construction, this time with foamboard, my frien Alejandro Leņo removed the board with watter, the foam is almost 3/16, I cutted the fuselage and wings, the rudder from a tray foam 1/8 aprox.

The wings has sanded t.e. and l.e. I recall a Tonny Peters article in Flying Models about how to build wings, and I rolled the wings to camber it, and reflex too..... with dihedral !! and painted with red ink marker as the red Komet flown by Wolfgang Spate in 1944 (If I recall fine) powered by a HV N-20 and a 3" 1/16 prop from the Lightning props, an 145 mAh Li-Poly cell from Selman.

I had some doubts, but after to see the numbers.... 19" WS and with more than 73 sq. in. with a wing load od 2.09 Oz./sq. ft. and the total weight is 30 gms. not bad but I expected less weight

I not flight yet the Komet Me-163-B-0 V-41 yet ( di you see the name... ) but the test glide was very fine, after some tricky and sencyble in elevator trim, the wings has wash out too!!!!

Tomorrow I going to flight the model in a club, I hope the Komet flight fine as the Yhoshua's Wildcat does..... but is a very diferent plane..... I tell you later.

Regards.......and happy new year.
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2004, 09:37 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
I hope the thing flys.
If i doesnt I wouldnt be discouraged and maybe some hot wire cut packing foam would make a lighter weight model.
Michael has said he used it for large models.
I bet you could use the packing foam with a balsa spar
to strengthen the wing and maybe the model will wiegh
15-20g.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Jan 06, 2004, 04:31 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
Thanks Billy, I flew it the last sunday but some structural failures was present, first the model when is not fine trimed in elevator, the nose section was brocken any glide, when I got a trim in elevator was time to try the power, it worked great, but the sunday was very windy and in my hurry to see the Komet in the air, I launched it, in some seconds the model climbed with authority, the wind pushed to left and I flew it to right side, stright to the wind, no problem, but when I tried a left turn, the strong wind turn very fast the model and with out a correct wind flow in the wings, the Komet dive...... is not bad at all, I think the Komet is a very fine model to fly indoor or in zero wind condition.... the model flew very fine and the rudder worked very good, the problem was the windy conditions and my hurry to fly

I think the weight is not a problem, the WL is only 2.09 oz./sq.ft. and maybe with an U80 prop the model maybe will have a more authority in climb, well the U80 is more eficient prop than the white Lightning prop. But some less grams are always better than a heavy model

Regards.
Old Jan 06, 2004, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Cool Alfredo.
I know what you mean about testing in wind.
I had some wild flights in wind before with small planes. You can tell though if the model will fly sometimes if the wind is not too strong. I cant wait to see pictures.

Billy
Old Jan 06, 2004, 05:23 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
I hope soon but now I had almost no doubt about the capability of the plane maybe later in no wind conditions, and the pics too

Regards.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 02:53 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
Fianlly I got... but only 3, in Jorge Fernandez's house....in his workshop....
Old Jan 10, 2004, 02:55 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
The bottom section with the cell and the reciver in the tail to comoensate the CG
Old Jan 10, 2004, 02:57 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
The plane with the radio.....
Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:19 PM
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Alfredo

Nice model.
I have found with making 6" gliders of the Komet with the undercambered wing it is difficult to get the plane in trim
for different speeds. Wonder if a flat plate might work better
or less undercamber.

Billy
Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:44 PM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,548 Posts
Alfredo,
I noticed you have the motor mounted on the right side of the fuselarge , this tends to give left thrust . If you find you have a turn problem under power -turns not equal right and left .You may find mounting the motor on the left will help the thrust line .
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:03 AM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Nice job, Alfredo.
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Jan 11, 2004, 09:01 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Very nice work, Alfredo. You sure have a thing for flying wings and deltas. Have you ever got yourself an RFFS to try out yet?
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:40 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
The left mount was not a problem, because the model has dihedral, yes is a very tricky plane to trim, because the fouam recover his chape in the elevator and reflex wing section, I need to retrim the plane any flight, I think an build up wing is better, the cambered wing does not represent any problem, because it has reflex too.

Mike Taylor, you read my mind, some minutes ago I sent my order to Bob Selman to buy my JPM reciver...... now I going to be in the small weight leagues.... well boys I am happy yes I going to keep my Komet to repair it when my JMP arrives and the bitcharger equipment to an more normal plane, pusher configuration ( Yesterday I lost a prop in trim ) but this is not the end of the Komet, only a chapter in his life

Mike, the flying wings are a very interesting projects, I built several wings ( I mean Komets) B versions and A versions from .15 to .049 glow motors, in electrics this is the 3rd. the first electric was the best with an GWS dd and after I flew it as a glider, I think a tiny Komet could flight with rudder, dihedral wings and elevators.

Regards.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:46 AM
Wow!My plane flies!
Sarawak,Malaysia
Joined Sep 2003
187 Posts
oh
daryl is offline Find More Posts by daryl
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:54 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,879 Posts
Hmmm. I have West Wings ,Komet.. 16" span.. Reasonably light.. V nice kit.. recomended.
Was wondering what motor/battery would fit.
Bought and Built mine after seeing an article in one of the English mags where it was converted sucessfully in to a Slope Model, using Hitec 55 servos and suitable reciever
Any thoughts advice on a suitable teeny motor/battery combo?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare