HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Siv
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain
Joined Jan 2006
168 Posts
Question
Advice for a beginner - offshore electric

Im a boat newcomer looking for some shopping advice here because I am working on an island where there is little in the way of RC shops and what there is, is very expensive (read 2x to 3x the US price).

The benefit of living on an island is that youre near the sea and its pretty calm here so there are plenty of places to boat but they are offshore. In the mornings the sea can be very smooth with barely any ripples.

Most of the local guys run 1/4 scale cracker box boats with weed-wacker type gas engines. I would like to run something that can handle some chop but is electric. So now to my first question how small can I go without being too small for offshore? 30? 20? 15?

My 6-year old son is the motivation for the boat adventure he wants something to race with his dad. I'm going to have to build two - one for me and one for him. So, I would like a boat style that is relatively user friendly and suitable for a small kid. I have seen some self-righting boats like the Danvo Avenger are these a good choice? And can I get something in that style that will be large enough for offshore? Or should I go for a regular v-shaped design or cracker box style?

Thanks for the help! I'm probably more excited about this project than my son is!
Siv is offline Find More Posts by Siv
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
this is a newbie to newbie but i would say if your looking for offshore why not go for a nice big V hull for ocean and this is again newbie and not knowing were you run i would stay above 30in.you also said its very calm sometimes so if you only ran on those times you can do a nice hydro but not sure how user friendly they are for a 6 year old.
so just to put a post up i would say 30in v hull or bigger maybe even go super sick and get a dual stinger big a$$ v hull lol
LCKRC is offline Find More Posts by LCKRC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
Steps? What steps?
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Siv, I am a member of a fast electric club here in Houston, it may be best if we could hook up at a meet sometime and let you actually see what boats are available. We run everything from 24" hydros to 45" cats - and about everything in between. We are meeting in Crosby on Saturday the 17th, and there is a large District race on December 1st and 2nd. PM me your e-mail address and let's see what we can do.

zozer is offline Find More Posts by zozer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Siv
Joined Jan 2006
168 Posts
Zozer, unfortunately I'm in Trinidad for work. I do get back to H'town occasionally for meetings etc but not often and certainly not on weekends.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:40 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
Go to www.offshoreelectrics.com and drop steve an email he'll stear you in the right direction .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Siv
Joined Jan 2006
168 Posts
OK, off to offshoreelectrics I go!

I find it quite surprising that a boat forum is pointing me to another boat forum for advice!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
begineer

Your post on advise for you and your son. Offshore site has a excellent rep. on service and HELP and can assist you in your quest. I'd look for self-righting.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
103 Posts
I have bought this one as my first. Youll get them wit/without stinger and shafts:

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-boats/hu...at-hull-1.html

and this with the stingers and shafts:

http://www.rc-terminal.de/Godspeed-K...d-Wellenanlage

Motors twin:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1600kv.html
cosey321 is offline Find More Posts by cosey321
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
OK, off to offshoreelectrics I go!

I find it quite surprising that a boat forum is pointing me to another boat forum for advice!
I don't think they were trying to chase you away, just giving you a place to look at some goodies. OSE is a reasonable price store although the shipping ot Trinidad could be a killer. Steven, the owner, is a good guy to deal with as well.

As for advise running offshore in salt, I'd really be more inclined to suggest gas over electric. Simply because it will hold up better in that environment. Salt water and expensive elecronics just don't mix well.

With a gas rig you run an inexpensive radio encased in a sealed box. With an electric the entire hull becomes your radio box as it's packed with batteries, esc, motor and radio with no room left over for a sealed compartment to house them all. In most cases the motor and radio will survive a dunking in fresh water but even it is rough on esc's. In salt, you can pretty much write off everything that got wet.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:02 AM
Siv
Joined Jan 2006
168 Posts
Thanks - I wasn't under the impression that I was being run-off, just that I thought there would be some expertise here!

I'm starting to think that this boat malarkey is a whole lot more troublesome than aircraft. After the simplicity of cars, I assumed that boats would also be relatively straight forward. Waterproofing is going to be quite a challenge.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Water proofing is not that bad with the right hull choice. Boats meant for gas or nitro were never intended to be water tight but if you look at boats specifically built for electric use it shouldn't be a problem.
egneg is offline Find More Posts by egneg