HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 03:09 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Chris if it has not stuck it will lift as a lump use a clothes iron set on hot move it around quickly press down firmly the balsa sheeting should be very hot to the touch then rub quickly with a cloth to dissipated the heat quickly. It creates a very solid bond but dont over do it as you can melt the core ,but it does take a fair amount of heat before that happens.
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 06:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Chris if it has not stuck it will lift as a lump use a clothes iron set on hot move it around quickly press down firmly the balsa sheeting should be very hot to the touch then rub quickly with a cloth to dissipated the heat quickly. It creates a very solid bond but dont over do it as you can melt the core ,but it does take a fair amount of heat before that happens.
Thanks Steve, will give it a go.
Jindivik is offline Find More Posts by Jindivik
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Just a quick update for anyone still watching.

No photos today, but I have now got two wing cores with balsa skins on them. Not the neatest job, but once they are trimmed up and have their leading edges attached they should do the job. I have squirreled away a nice piece of aluminium which I am contemplating using as a spar to give the wing a bit more support as I will be separating the wings to give a bit of a span increase.

I might even start planning the cockpit soon, pre AUP F-111C. Will make good use of some of the blue foam scraps.

Chris
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,182 Posts
Any updates mate?

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Kids are keeping me busy, cold weather is keeping me out of the garage.

Wing cores are now skinned, not the best job, but more than adequate I think. Still planning the cockpit and where all the servos etc. will go. Still have to buy some hardware and put the wings together, etc, etc, etc.....

Still a long way to go, but I am not in any real hurry at the moment. Going to take some long service early next year, so between Avalon Airshow, the F1 GP and fishing I will probably get a bit done on the Pig then.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,182 Posts
4 months have gone by...

Any news Jindi?

BJ
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,182 Posts
Any updates, mate?

BJ
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Any updates, mate?

BJ
Sorry mate, didnt see your last post.

I havent gotten out in the shed lately, having too much fun at work and with the kids. Having said that though, I am taking 5 weeks of long service leave soon and apart from 10 days down at Avalon for the airshow and 4 days at the F1 GP I am hoping to spend some time getting the wings set up and the elevons mounted.

Chris