HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Thanks, guys!

I simply mounted the cam to the square plate below the battery with a piece of Velcro. I used a strip of masking tape for backup. The reason for the low vibration level is that I carefully balanced each rotor.

Regarding sources for the #16 cam - be careful, as there are some fakes out there. (BTW - the #16 has the best 720p video of all the 808 cams.) Here is the source for accurate information on all things keychain-cam related: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

Joel
Thanks thats how I do it and still a little vibes, what method do you use for balancing these props?

I orders one of the 808 #16V2 cams used the recommended seller from that site you posted the link to, thanks again
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:05 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbad View Post
Thanks thats how I do it and still a little vibes, what method do you use for balancing these props?

I orders one of the 808 #16V2 cams used the recommended seller from that site you posted the link to, thanks again
I dynamically balanced each rotating assembly, using clear tape. I simply played with the bird in my hand for a minute to determine four orientations that would each leave a different rotor running & stop the other three. I spooled her up in my hand, checked each rotor for vibration, and then applied tape to the lightest blade, as needed.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
My MQX just started doing this..it wants to got to the right and aft....which motor could cause this.....?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
A worn out right rear prop.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
A worn out right rear prop.
It looks brand new. but I will change it out and get back to ya!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:03 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Run it up in your hand, look at the blade tracking, if theres a ghost it should be replaced. Also, check to see if there's vibration in that arm.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Run it up in your hand, look at the blade tracking, if theres a ghost it should be replaced. Also, check to see if there's vibration in that arm.
That was it......it was the left rear blade...hmmmm....replaced it and now it flys great!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
I dynamically balanced each rotating assembly, using clear tape. I simply played with the bird in my hand for a minute to determine four orientations that would each leave a different rotor running & stop the other three. I spooled her up in my hand, checked each rotor for vibration, and then applied tape to the lightest blade, as needed.

Joel
Ok cool, how do you determine the heavy blade?? Trial and error?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbad View Post
Ok cool, how do you determine the heavy blade?? Trial and error?
Yup. Put a piece of tape on one blade & spool-up. If the vibes are worse, move it to the other blade. If there is less vibration, add more tape. Rinse & repeat as needed. I can usually get it right within 3-4 iterations. I've been using this method for balancing heli tail rotors & props that are too small for my magnetic balancer for years. It's quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Yup. Put a piece of tape on one blade & spool-up. If the vibes are worse, move it to the other blade. If there is less vibration, add more tape. Rinse & repeat as needed. I can usually get it right within 3-4 iterations. I've been using this method for balancing heli tail rotors & props that are too small for my magnetic balancer for years. It's quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

Joel
Cool I found a youtube video balancing a motor likes this, looks effective. I also found several Android apps that sense vibes using my phones accelerometers Think I can put the two together and get it really smooth ...Thanks so much for all the direction
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,086 Posts
The mqx comes built with a blade balancer installed. The double bearing.

Just disengage the gear a little. Then hold so the shaft is horizontal to the ground. You will find the heavier side of the blade. Very easy to check balance.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The mqx comes built with a blade balancer installed. The double bearing.

Just disengage the gear a little. Then hold so the shaft is horizontal to the ground. You will find the heavier side of the blade. Very easy to check balance.
I tried that method first. Unfortunately, beat-frequency vibrations associated with differential rotor-speed flight-control were still visible in the video until I dynamically balanced each rotor. There must have been just enough drag on at least a couple of rotors to make that method not quite sensitive enough for carrying the cam. But then mine had a few hours on the clock by the time I got around to balancing it for on-board video - including a bit of 'cartwheel practice' while flying fast & low circuits at extreme bank-angles.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,086 Posts
Ah. Good to know.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
including a bit of 'cartwheel practice' while flying fast & low circuits at extreme bank-angles.
Ha, i'm glad it's not just me that's done that!

My MQX is currently out of action as I went to try it yesterday to find one of the blades not spinning up right,on further inspection there were several tiny balls stuck magnetically onto the motor....one of my bearings had spilt it's balls.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
My MQX has dreadful stability issues when descending, even with nothing attached, even without a canopy.

I'm not convinced it's normal behaviour and believe it's related to imbalance in either the props or the power levels of the motors or a combination of those things.

Adding extra weight magnifies this issue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
I think that the instability in MQX while losing height rapidly has to do with vortex ring state, a condition commonly found in rotary wing vehicles (AKA "Settling with power").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

Yes, it's not just your mQX ColSonders. My WLToys V929 quad exhibits exactly the same instability when descending quickly. I've learned to do kind of a spiral-looping thing with the cyclic control that lets me descend in a tight-ish column without it going unstable.

I first discovered the vortex ring state when I was carrying a #808 on my V929. The extra weight REALLY increased the effect and my first few flight videos always ended up in a pretty spectacular crash...lol Good thing I was flying over grass!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member