Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:56 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Build Log
PLD-POWERBUS-A4; 4 channel independently regulated servo isolator board

Similar concept to the previous PLD-POWERBUS-MINI, but instead this unit has built-in individual regulators for each servo. It's intended for small to medium e-planes, each regulator can handle 500mA constant loads and up to 1.5A peaks on a 2S battery pack.

If one of the servos stalls/dies it won't take out the other regulators or the receiver.

To keep the board quite compact (1.8 x 1.3") I've limited it to 4 channels; this should suit a lot of existing machines as they'll naturally have their ESC/RX directly connected.

You can put multiple servos on to the single channel via a Y-split lead, so doing ailerons won't be an issue.

Remember, your existing ESC units were using 2 or 3 of the same sort of regulators as are being used on this board, except that by splitting the regulators up here you're giving yourself greater redundancy by isolation.

Paul.

PCBs have been submitted for fabrication
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:06 AM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts

Paul -- This would have saved my 48" Edge. This is a tight covey shot of all the essential functions that I think will eliminate a bunch of sources of crash without any excess cost or size/weight for stuff that isn't essential, and targeted for the smaller plane guys (like me). I'm eager to see these new projects when they're available and have pricing. You have some really cool new stuff in the pipeline. Thanks.......................R
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:11 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Thanks modbuilder, one of these designs that I'm churning out the last couple of weeks has sure to hit a home-run, well, at least that's what I'm hoping.

I know quite a few people have asked for something like this POWERBUS-A4 in the past, will be interesting to see how they respond.

Costs have yet to be worked out, though I know for sure it'll be well under $100. My "thumbsuck" is that most of these products I'm putting out are going to hover around $50 +/-$10 with a few exceptions (obviously stuff like the SFUSE is going to be quite low priced).

While the parts cost are a strong factor, what usually pushes things up is the labour requirement. If something takes me half an hour to build rather than 5 minutes, you know it's going to get added in to the price.

btw, new product added tonight... BESJ5AR, 5A linear regulator with integrated switchjack and voltage-readout.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:16 AM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Dunknow 'bout others, but I'm feeling like a kid in a new candy store. Can't wait 'till the doors open.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:12 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Hopefully won't be too much longer - some of the earlier projects should start arriving next week... hopefully.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Boards have been shipped... expect a delivery time of about 2 weeks, sliding in just before Christmas, things are going to slow down a lot around this time of the year.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:51 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
PCBs have arrived... looking good. Quite excited to see how this one goes.

In effect we have a 4A regulator but with the load being spread out across 4 independent units it has the same true handling capacity of a much larger unit - not to mention the protective gains because of the isolation.

If anyone is wondering why I didn't butt the servo pin-headers against each other so it would be one continuous strip, it's because I didn't want any accidental 1-off plugging events, which can sometimes be a bit disasterous.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:38 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Lemmeknow when you're ready for a beta tester
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:46 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
I'll be the alpha-tester... you can be the beta

That said, something like this... if it works first up it should just work no problems at all.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
And here it is... in all its mostly finished glory.

What's missing..... the input leads to the receiver. I'm still chewing my nails on how to do them most efficiently because believe me there's NO fun in hand soldering isolated wires into holes like that.... no fun at all. Trying to see if I can find a connector or organise pre-terminated looms.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:06 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
And here it is... in all its mostly finished glory.

What's missing..... the input leads to the receiver. I'm still chewing my nails on how to do them most efficiently because believe me there's NO fun in hand soldering isolated wires into holes like that.... no fun at all. Trying to see if I can find a connector or organise pre-terminated looms.
I know you do it big guy. Finish line in sight. Go Paul, Go!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:31 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Trying to weigh up the pros/cons here.

If I use more 3-pin headers like I have for the output side, it means that people can pick their own length of Male-Male 3-pin leads to use, rather than being dictated by my selection. It'll also mean I can sell the board at a lower price (lower labour, lower parts).

The other option is to get a whole set of leads done up using servo-male to JST-SCN connectors (see attached photo, obviously I'd be ordering ones that are 3-way only), that way it's much faster for me to assemble but it does push the sale price up a reasonable amount (and there's about a 3 week lag before they arrive).

Thoughts?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:24 AM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Can only speak for myself, but I'd prefer the lower priced, roll-my-own leads.

One thought -- you could start with the lower cost version and see what demand and feedback comes from buyers. Best regards.............R
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
I'm happy to go with that. I've put the 3-pin headers on the RX side and we're ready to go
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:44 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Now added to the NQRC site - I've put in a fairly good intro price, see how it goes from there.

http://nqrc.com/?vp=PLD-POWERBUS-A4