HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
IDK.... It's whatever the factory sets it at. I just got it back yesterday I haven't really gotten into it though. One more question while I'm at it. When programming in D/R, why does the menu show Pos- 0,1,2 when the D/R switch only has Pos - 0 and 1?
My setting
D/R
Pos0:70% rate +30 exp
Pos1:100% rate +30 exp
Pos2:100% rate 0 exp
Pos3:Not Used
ST0: (Normal Pitch Curve) Switch
ST1: (3D Pitch Curve) Switch
ST2: (3D Pitch Curve) Pos2

This lets me switch rates while i'm still weaning myself off the easy settings. Alternating between the two while i'm either in Normal or 3D mode. Pulling the flight mode all the way means the heli ignores the D/R switch and all restrictions are taken off.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Quote:
With regards to inverted flight, I also noticed I don't get as much lift when I 'm inverted as I would like. What 's the best way to increase neg pitch? Can that be adjusted with the tx? Could I just move to the outer hole of the servo horns and add in some dual rates to tame it down a little?

Or maybe I should just fly it for a while and not mess with it at all.
Have you even checked if your blades are physically 0 degrees when the TX is at 0 pitch? I noticed that if i press main gear as far as it'll go, it ends up lowering the rotor head, and consequently, the swashplate ends up a millimeter higher up the shaft. Which in turn raises the pitch angle. I had to use the subtrims to lower the pitch back to zero.

If i had left it as is, there would have been a bias towards the positive pitch and the excess angle taken from the negative pitch,
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Have you even checked if your blades are physically 0 degrees when the TX is at 0 pitch? I noticed that if i press main gear as far as it'll go, it ends up lowering the rotor head, and consequently, the swashplate ends up a millimeter higher up the shaft. Which in turn raises the pitch angle. I had to use the subtrims to lower the pitch back to zero.

If i had left it as is, there would have been a bias towards the positive pitch and the excess angle taken from the negative pitch,
You might want to check the collar on the main shaft, sometimes it slips up which adds a lot of vertical play in the shaft. I don't know how much play mine has but it's very slight, maybe 0.5mm or less.

Your comment reminded me to mention that it's important to level your swash and as part of that make sure the blades are at zero pitch when the stick is centered. From the factory mine had a large bias towards positive pitch which could also cause poor inverted performance.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:42 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys, very helpful. This is my first programmable radio and apparently the Devo 7 is a bit of a pain to navigate. I did copy all my settings to another model so if I totally botch it somehow changing settings I always have the factory settings to fall back on. I'll have to really sit down with it tonight and explore a little.

As far as adjusting the collar. When I first got it last week I did notice some play in the shaft that would account for some loss of neg pitch when the shaft shifts, also the main gear and pinion weren't meshing when I gave it hard throttle. I saw the main gear had slid down the shaft a little. Pushed it back into place and everything was tight, but it didn't really seem to change any. I'll spend some time with it tonight and see what I can figure out.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
You might want to check the collar on the main shaft, sometimes it slips up which adds a lot of vertical play in the shaft. I don't know how much play mine has but it's very slight, maybe 0.5mm or less.
Mine has zero. I actually have a pronged screwdriver i use to push the collar right against the bearing. No matter how hard you pinch the frame between the collar and the main gear, all the pressure goes to the bearings evenly so there's no binding.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Mine has zero. I actually have a pronged screwdriver i use to push the collar right against the bearing. No matter how hard you pinch the frame between the collar and the main gear, all the pressure goes to the bearings evenly so there's no binding.
Sounds good, I misunderstood your original comment.

I have been wanting to move my main gear up a little though, I wonder if it's pushed on all the way or not.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
840 Posts
Thinking about going brushless with the Genius. Was wondering if I should go with a double brushless or just a main brushless and which one to go with. I saw this from Wow:http://www.wowhobbies.com/turboace411500brushless motor-43g-3-1.aspx
and this from Hobby-Wing:http://www.hobby-wing.com/genius-cp-upgrade-combo.html
also I have installed micro deans on it and was wondering about the coversion of the esc?
any thoughts from you bunch of Geniuses?
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:46 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
First sustained inverted flight this morning!

Pretty much just hovered for about a minute and did a slow circuit around my yard (tail-in the whole time), but cool for me none the less.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:59 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone know if they sell the gears for these little servos? I broke two teeth off a gear today on a crash. I was able to turn it around and it seems ok, but I'd like to replace it if I can.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, does anyone know if they sell the gears for these little servos? I broke two teeth off a gear today on a crash. I was able to turn it around and it seems ok, but I'd like to replace it if I can.
I guess that answers my question about the servo saver mod. Sorry about that.

Scroll to the "Servos" section here for links to the repair kit and replacement servos although it looks like nobody stocks this any more (Walkera stopped making it?).
http://benmlee.com/Genius_Others.htm

Also the servo saver mod:
http://benmlee.com/Genius_Servo_Saver.htm

Although it's a bit of a pain to reset the arms after every little crash, it's better than breaking the servo because without that repair kit it looks like replacing the servo is the only option. Those Hobby King servos aren't too expensive but I wonder if you change one do you have to change all of them?
Last edited by LittleMo; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I guess that answers my question about the servo saver mod. Sorry about that.

Scroll to the "Servos" section here for links to the repair kit and replacement servos although it looks like nobody stocks this any more (Walkera stopped making it?).
http://benmlee.com/Genius_Others.htm

Also the servo saver mod:
http://benmlee.com/Genius_Servo_Saver.htm

Although it's a bit of a pain to reset the arms after every little crash, it's better than breaking the servo because without that repair kit it looks like replacing the servo is the only option. Those Hobby King servos aren't too expensive but I wonder if you change one do you have to change all of them?
Thanks for the links Mo. Lots of good info there. I found the gear at Oomodel for $3.50. I'm gonna order a few tonight. I was looking at the Genius V2 also while I was at it. Gonna have to wait till after Christmas though. I'd like to get a nice 250 for outside as well.

BTW - I did adjust my PItch Curve a little. I pushed the low end from -50 to -60. Plenty of lift when inverted now.
Last edited by Budasac; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
I just picked up a a spare genius off Ebay. It's a complete RTF package w/ Devo 7. The heli is missing 2 servos, a servo arm, and a tail fin. Seller says everything else is functional. I figure if the pcb is good it's worth it for that alone. I paid $60 with shipping. I figure I'll relist the Devo and get $30 back for that. If everything works I think I got a good deal.

What do you guys think?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Quote:
I just picked up a a spare genius off Ebay. It's a complete RTF package w/ Devo 7. The heli is missing 2 servos, a servo arm, and a tail fin. Seller says everything else is functional. I figure if the pcb is good it's worth it for that alone. I paid $60 with shipping. I figure I'll relist the Devo and get $30 back for that. If everything works I think I got a good deal.

What do you guys think?
Receiver is atleast $70 and aside from the power leads, it's not something that wears out even through crashes, so yeah, you got a good deal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
I was gonna use it for parts, but if everything checks out I may sell the tx and use that cash to buy 3 servos and get this puppy in the air. It would be nice to have two so there's no down time between flights.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
380 Posts
Quote:
I was gonna use it for parts, but if everything checks out I may sell the tx and use that cash to buy 3 servos and get this puppy in the air. It would be nice to have two so there's no down time between flights.
If you decide to go this route, HeliRCStore has a buy 2 get one free servo deal for the Genius CP right now. I bought a set myself around a month back. I have yet to strip a servo but for the price, I couldn't pass it up

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors