HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:17 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
New Product
T-6A Texan II, by Unique Models - Finally!

Hey guys, with the help of Turbinefancy I have discovered something I've lusted after from day 1 in the R/C hobby.... My very own T-6A Texan II!

http://www.uniquemodelrc.com/proshow.asp?id=438

For those of you who don't know, this is our modern day version of the T-28, which has proven itself to be a favorite first 4-channel R/C trainer for the masses. The T-6A is the Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (JSUPT) aircraft that every USAF and USN/USMC aviator qualifies in during Primary, prior to going on to their individual Major Weapon System (MWS- e.g. F-22, C-5, HH-60, MQ-9, etc.) It has incredible power with a Pratt and Whitney Turboprop which is basically a reverse mounted jet engine, along with a huge aerobatic envelope and outstanding climb rate. It is a homerun to fly in real life and it should stand right alongside the T-28 as far as easy flight character in the R/C arena. If you can't tell already I'm really stoked about finding this electric offering!

I may be more than a little uniquely qualified to comment on the scale accuracies, but those of you who know me personally know that's not always a huge deal to me.... I'm more of a "standoff scale" type of guy. If I want the real thing believe me I know where to get it. This is just for fun!

The chrome spinner with scale four-blade variable pitch prop looks awesome, I love that it has electric retracts and gear doors too. Size looks good, although I would have preferred just a little larger. If the auto canopy feature actually opens correctly this will be simply amazing - It better not slide straight back! They even have a Randolph AFB tail flash- It's meant to be!

On the negative side, the stacks are hideously oversized and the horizontal stabilizer looks a little small to my eye... Also can't tell if the dihedral is right or not based on the photos. I'll probably end up adding nav/taxi/landing lights and some strakes too.

Past that, it looks closer than anything else I've seen so far! Seagull is the only other manufacturer I know of that currently offers a T-6A, but its just a kit and designed around big nitro power or a really good electric conversion. Ultrafly made a PC-9 many years ago and I actually modified it extensively to become my own custom T-6A, but it is much smaller and it required a LOT of work to get it even close to accurate.

This one comes from Shenzhen Unique Models - I'm familiar with their EDF T-50 and their P-51 with auto canopy, but nothing else and I'm not sure who might be their US distributor. I'm really hoping Hobbyking picks this one up and promptly ships it to the US warehouse. I'll buy it on day one regardless!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one excited about this one - Please help me consolidate as much info on the new Texan as possible!
Roswalt is online now Find More Posts by Roswalt
Last edited by Roswalt; Jun 29, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:47 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Apr 2008
290 Posts
Saw one of these at an airshow last summer. It was a static just a sexy plane!
Eric.Jaggi_Co is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jaggi_Co
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, MS
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
If i was up to snuff on bigger birds i would get one. My wife's nephew is with the VT-10 out of NAS Pensacola. He would freak out if i had one done up with his insignia the next time he came up for family visits.
Downsouth is offline Find More Posts by Downsouth
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,791 Posts
I think at one time richmond models out of seattle Wa , sold a fuel balsa version under the Vmar label . I know they have quality issues but it was available in a larger balsa format , still may be in the line
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
There have been a couple of nitro T-6A's over the years, but an accessable electric model with modern features like brushless power and electric retracts has been conspicuously absent. This one could become a huge seller if done correctly!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Ok, so here's an update on the T-6A. I've been working with Unique to come up with some alterations and an alternate paint scheme - Believe me this is going to be a special plane.

As many of you know, I have flown this aircraft quite a bit in real life and I want this to be as faithful as possible without becoming prohibitively expensive. The variable pitch prop will not be on the model after all, which isn't a big deal to me since it would have been a pain to most modelers anyway. I'd rather they take that money and redirect it to a quality BEC, which they have now done. The exhausts are being scaled down to better reflect the real deal, and possibly recolored to the accurate rust brown/black shade they take on. The dihedral has been done properly from what I can tell.

Regarding the other paintjob they want to offer - In my travels I have flown with pilots of many different nations, and with this in mind I wanted to offer a great alternative paint scheme to our "standard" USAF T-6A Texan II.

In my opinion, the best option is probably the Israeli's version "Efroni". It offers a high-visibility red/white color scheme which will be very helpful with orientation and should be easy to see at a distance. The T-28 uses a similar scheme. I love the Israelis for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is the Desert Eagle and Natalie Portman, but those are stories for another time!

Another option (Which has already been shot down) was the grey variant. We had one back at Columbus but I never got to fly it. The grey T-6s were a failed experiment launched by the USAF several years ago. It proved to have problems with low-visibility... Not great when you consider what our mission was at the time.

One more option (Also shot down by Unique for the same reason as above) is the new Raytheon AT-6A... Weaponized version of the trainer. It has awesome shark teeth on the nose and a pretty mean grey/black scheme.

How about the T-6B flown by the U.S. Navy?

There are other paint schemes to think about, like the Canadian and Australian Air Force types, but the Australian one looks to have been done before and I'd rather not see another one, personally. What do you guys think? I'm in contact with them, so your inputs will be relayed!
Last edited by Roswalt; Jun 29, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Apr 2008
290 Posts
Has anyone seen any flight videos yet?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:18 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
I haven't seen a video yet... There are some new photos on the site, but they only reflect a new metal landing gear (Why blue?) and some new photo angles that better depict the dihedral. The exhaust stacks remain monstrous.

Still no word on who will be selling these, or when.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
T-a6 ii

Has any got ant photos of the navy paint job? All I have seen are the Air Force color. What does the Navy Version look like?

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:44 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,042 Posts
How about the Canadian Harvard II in dark blue?

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:52 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Fly Guy View Post
Has any got ant photos of the navy paint job? All I have seen are the Air Force color. What does the Navy Version look like?

NFG
I posted a photo of the orange/white Navy T-6 a couple of posts back. It is the T-6B, technically.

No word on whether or not Unique is actually going to produce the Navy T-6, but unless it gets a lot of interest in this thread, it appears unlikely as an alternate paint scheme.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:36 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I CAN'T WAIT!!!! (Yes I'm yelling)
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
I will having pricing and more info on this model towards the end of this month..
What I do know..

6 Ch, but no flaps.. Retracts and an opening canopy make up ch 5 & 6.

Rob
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Last edited by rorrock; Jul 19, 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
352nd FGA
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2006
585 Posts
That is really beautiful!Can't wait to get my hands on! Go forward Unique Models!
Alrus1 is offline Find More Posts by Alrus1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorrock View Post
I will having pricing and more info on this model towards the end of this month..
What I do know..

6 Ch, but no flaps.. Retracts and an opening canopy make up ch 5 & 6.

Rob

Fantstic Rob! Makes me happy