Elberta, Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
Double Horse 9100 3 CH SR

Ok!
Let's start this off right...
Who has one and what do you think?

Myself? I have had it for one day and made only one flight last night so I of course will hold off on the praise or the bashing until it has a few more hours on it.
All I can say at this moment is that if this thing is even half as durable as the DH9053 they will sell a ton of them.
Although with no cyclic control you do have a slow drift to the left, but point the nose into the slightest breeze and it will hold a perfect hover with minor input to keep it there.

I will post video of my first daytime flight later today so that everyone to some degree can judge for themselves.

Until then,
MJ
Monkey Junk is offline Find More Posts by Monkey Junk
Last edited by Monkey Junk; Feb 05, 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added Picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:57 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Hey MJ,

Can the fixed link that holds the swash plate side to side be adjusted? The reason why I ask is that if it were, one could make slight adjustments to counter the left drift, I think. It's just a theory anyway.

Please keep us posted on how it actually flies.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Junk View Post
Ok!
Let's start this off right...
Who has one and what do you think?

Myself? I have had it for one day and made only one flight last night so I of course will hold off on the praise or the bashing until it has a few more hours on it.
All I can say at this moment is that if this thing is even half as durable as the DH9053 they will sell a ton of them.
Although with no cyclic control you do have a slow drift to the left, but point the nose into the slightest breeze and it will hold a perfect hover with minor input to keep it there.

I will post video of my first daytime flight later today so that everyone to some degree can judge for themselves.

Until then,
MJ
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:25 AM
"Gravity is highly overrated"
Elberta, Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
Replacing the link with a adjustable turnbuckle would probably give you the adjustment needed to cancel the drift. I am looking at a tc3 nitro cars rear camber turnbuckle that looks close to the initial size needed.
Fantastic idea Ed! We shall give it a try!
I'll repost in a few...
MJ
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:55 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Yea I was thinking of something like an RC car turnbuckle. If that works, the 9100's hover, and flight characteristics could be improved.

Ed

Quote:
Replacing the link with a adjustable turnbuckle would probably give you the adjustment needed to cancel the drift. I am looking at a tc3 nitro cars rear camber turnbuckle that looks close to the initial size needed.
Fantastic idea Ed! We shall give it a try!
I'll repost in a few...
MJ
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:52 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Hey MJ,

Can the fixed link that holds the swash plate side to side be adjusted? The reason why I ask is that if it were, one could make slight adjustments to counter the left drift, I think. It's just a theory anyway.

Please keep us posted on how it actually flies.

Ed

Ed, the problem is the rolling moment imparted on the model is caused primarily by aerodynamic, inertial forces, and environmental forces acting on the heli which is constantly changing. fixing the swash or the rotor head won't solve the problem, which is that there is no way to control the roll on this model, it can be done with a second gyro with a servo to control, that is what I initially figured they had designed into this model, but there is no mention of this, that would be a big selling point I would think.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:25 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
You're right DT. But wouldn't those same forces act on any heli? I mean I have seen that on any model I have flown.

What the OP is addressing is the constant left drift probably due to the rotor head not angled in such a way as to compensate for the thrust created by the tail rotor while hovering. In FF it is probably not even noticeable.

The idea I gave him may or may not work, but it seems to me that it is worth a try. And quite honestly, if DH would have gone through the trouble of including a 2-3 axis gyro along with a servo to control the roll, they might as well made it into a 4 channel FP because the cost wouldn't have justified it as a 3 channel.

In think their purpose for the 9100 was to introduce a single rotor for complete "newbies" or an easy transition for people who come from flying 3 channel coax.

Just my 2 cents of course.
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Ed, the problem is the rolling moment imparted on the model is caused primarily by aerodynamic, inertial forces, and environmental forces acting on the heli which is constantly changing. fixing the swash or the rotor head won't solve the problem, which is that there is no way to control the roll on this model, it can be done with a second gyro with a servo to control, that is what I initially figured they had designed into this model, but there is no mention of this, that would be a big selling point I would think.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:10 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,079 Posts
The left drift might be intentional. When you start moving forward on a single rotor FP with clockwise turning blades, the heli will tilt to the right as the forward speed increases, forcing the pilot to add some left aileron. You can't do that on a 3 channel like this, so adding a little left roll, causing a left drift in hover, might compensate the right drift when you start moving forward.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:16 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
I would try putting a small weight on the right skid of the heli in line with the rotor shaft. That should help the left drift problem.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:28 PM
USA, VA, Rustburg
Joined Jan 2011
117 Posts
dont have one but am interested, and want to follow this thread.
kablegod is offline Find More Posts by kablegod
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:58 AM
Elberta, Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
DT, you are right. Nothing that one would do for static adjustment on this model will have any change on outside forces acting against it, BUT, they do have a direct influence on the movement that the model exerts on itself. I am pleased to report that adding an adjustable turnbuckle on the left side of the swash (viewing from the rear) pretty much results in what I would call a stable hover with little to no left drift. After confirming that the mod had some positive effect I proceeded to flog this thing, and yes it is, it is durable to the extent that the speed of ones forward mobility is directly related to the damage received when slamming into something. Is it a challenge to fly compared to a coaxi? Yes. Is it perfect? By all means no. Is it fun? Oh Yes! Now keep and open mind for this bird was straight out of the box with little to no trim tweaking and the addition of the mod referenced.
I will post video as soon as I muck my way around as a forum noob and figure out where to go to upload them without choking the upload attachment manager.

MJ
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:07 AM
Elberta, Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
Double Horse 9100 3CH Single Rotor (0 min 21 sec)

Here is the youtube link to the video of the 9100 in question, Short and sweet I know but more to come I promise.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:01 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6rxZwhrgI

Here is the youtube link to the video of the 9100 in question, Short and sweet I know but more to come I promise.
Wow I am really impressed by that hover, its much better than I would ever expect from a single-rotor 3-channel and its actually a good hover period.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:18 AM
Elberta, Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
The bird has lots of potential, twitchy at times but cool none the less.
As I said, more video to come as well as a unbiased bashing to follow with the full results.
The kid gloves are off gentlemen! Now... Let's see what breaks!
MJ
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:19 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
you guys are funny with all your theorizing, for $60 where else are you gonna get a single blade in this size... this thing can fly and hover and all that matters to any beginner and those that want to try something new...
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:30 AM
Elberta, Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
16 Posts
Anything with quantifiable results starts with a theory! Not trying to re-invent the wheel here, just a $4 mod that takes said $60 bird and makes it better.