HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2014, 10:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Build Log
Mexican design "Petardo" FF

Hi Guys, now i´m building an mexican model, very famous right here, is an ugly design, but after seen in action.... my thoughts told me "i need one".

The frame is done, and ready to cover, BUT hard to chose, as just tissue looks fragile for an a glow plane. i have some coverlite syntetic tissue around and looks nice, but had read is hard to apply. i have some microlite, but in the page said not fuel proof.... and i can go to the other way, some tissue over doculam, BUT need to be coated with Butyrate Dope. What you think???

I had won on ebay a NICE Davis Diesel head for my pee wee, but, looking on the net, there are a lot of videos, and post about this, but not a single plane with it!!! not to good???

here some pics.....
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Last edited by colibriguitars; May 04, 2014 at 10:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 09:13 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,569 Posts
I would not consider it as ugly. Never seen this design before, from what year is it ?
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old May 05, 2014, 11:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi AppleH maybe mid sixties.
Old May 06, 2014, 06:41 PM
Pedro Salomón
Joined Apr 2005
753 Posts
It is not ugly come on !!!!! it´s a Mexican Clasic old timer i would say.... I covered 3 petardos with tissue only and aplied 3 coats of dope. (when you saw them they had only one coat).
I learned that you have to reinforce from nose block to 1/3rd of the wing cord with 1/16 balsa as it has a weak point right there.

After i broke mine at Las charcas, i repaired it and reinforced it using CA instead of carpenter´s glue and it was now stronger. I went to local flying field on Sunday and had 2 3-min flights, i almost lost it as in the last flight the fuse was off.

What covering did Rico used for his electric petardo?.

It was a matter of time for you to have and bulid a Petardo. I knew it !!!!

Your engine is a 0.49 or a 0.20?.
harrier81 is offline Find More Posts by harrier81
Last edited by harrier81; May 06, 2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: lack of information
Old May 06, 2014, 06:43 PM
Pedro Salomón
Joined Apr 2005
753 Posts
Very imnportant is that i trimmed mine with like 5 degrees of left trust and 2-3 of down trust. Then i trimmed rudder to bank to right side. Before trust set up it was very difficult to fly.
Old May 07, 2014, 12:13 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Harrier, well, mine is .020, and maybe add a Davis Diesel head, but not sure. mine is ready to fly, just need to install the tank.

Rico has covered his Petardo with tissue and dope.
Old May 07, 2014, 12:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
here some pics.

Mine is covered with coverite coverlite, an synthetic tissue, but don´t liked to much, is hard to attach to frame and don´t stretch to much. but now is covered. lets see....
Old May 07, 2014, 06:08 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,829 Posts
I like the black and white.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old May 08, 2014, 04:50 PM
Pedro Salomón
Joined Apr 2005
753 Posts
I see, it is for 0.20 will be very nice with davis head, would like to see it fly.
Mine is having a 0.49 and is covered with tissue, i have tested it las sunday and i almost lost it because the fuse was off during flight so i had to chase her for like 1 kilometer... it is funny the problem i had in Las Charcas field was fixed with more left trust. She now climbs to left and glides to right.
Old May 09, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Harrier, you should post some pics of yours!
Old May 09, 2014, 09:51 PM
Pedro Salomón
Joined Apr 2005
753 Posts
Here you are with some pics of mine and from my friends, i love petardo is a great model with very good performance.
Old May 09, 2014, 09:53 PM
Pedro Salomón
Joined Apr 2005
753 Posts
So, if yours is for a 0.20 you should have reduced the plans to a 50%? or which % did you use?

I don´t like to use coverlite, is very difficult to attach to frame and i don´t know if is the same that needs balsarite to be aplied to structure first. I tried this material once with very bad results..jeje so I always use monokote or domestic tissue from peck polymers os when i have some i use japanesse tissue.
Old May 10, 2014, 01:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Harrier, well, mine is regular size, 30" wingspan, and trying to build light. now ready to fly, is 90 grams so is light enough for a pee wee, maybe the climb will not be as the 049, but for shure, the glide will be much better, i had made some glide test in the parking lot, and looks very very promising. the plane balance is perfect with no extra weight, maybe just a little tail heavy, but sure can be fixed with a small change of incidence on trailing edge in the wing.

About the coverlite.... well, is a pain in the a..., i tried with balsarite, but did not work well, so i use UHU to keep it on frame. once the plane had the maiden, i will recover with esaki tissue, maybe over doculam.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:59 PM
Pedro Salomón
Joined Apr 2005
753 Posts
oh, i see, normal size with a 0.20 is interesting and more if it includes davis diesel head. Which propelor are you going to use?
Old May 13, 2014, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Guys, yesterday was the maiden.... well, the rightturst looks to be ok, 0 downtrust, and some issues as the plane does not gain attitude... so, maybe i need up trust, or a bigger prop.... right now is running an 4.5x2 but maybe i need change it for a 5x3.

The cover is a mess, don´t like it, so i will re cover with tissue and maybe have some weight save. the plane is not heavy, not for a pee wee (i guess) ...

Petardo de vuelo libre maiden (0 min 23 sec)

Petardo de vuelo libre con motor cox pee wee maiden (0 min 19 sec)

Petardo FF maiden Cox Pee Wee (0 min 34 sec)