Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:33 AM
Learning More Every Day...
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Question
How to Start a Moki 210

Hi Everyone!!

Last weekend I went to a swap meet and found a gently used Miko 210 (nitro) engine. [I don't even have an airplane for it ...yet!!] But I've never owned a Moki engine and at the price I bought it.
Yesterday I tried to start it and was unsuccessful. Not because something the engine did, but because my starter didn't appear "strong enough".
I don't blame the engine. In fact, I know the engine has good compression. But, I've heard of being able to hook up a starter to a 24 volt (set of) batteries. This may be the answer for me...
How do I go about hooking up a 24 volt system? Is that two batteries in series? ...in parallel?

Thanks in advamce!! Mike
m.kennedy is offline Find More Posts by m.kennedy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:44 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,927 Posts
Hook the battery's in series. Positive to negative. Some of the guys are using 18 volt drill battery's or Lipo's for power.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:02 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,140 Posts
Back-flip - the safe way to hand-start.

Mike,

Your Moki will respond to back-flip and start like a champ!

Prime it, turn it over several times by hand, then power the glow-plug and flip it backward against compression (not all the way over).
It will kick-back and start running in the normal direction.

Do it with 'soft fingers', so once the blade is kicked back and clears your fingers, your entire hand will be out of the way.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,133 Posts
Yes...if you try to hand start it, be careful...especially if you get it a bit too juicy...it can kick like a mule. Don't try to flip it through compression...just bounce it back, off compression...and if it's primed properly, it will start and run in the correct direction.
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proptop View Post
Yes...if you try to hand start it, be careful...especially if you get it a bit too juicy...it can kick like a mule. Don't try to flip it through compression...just bounce it back, off compression...and if it's primed properly, it will start and run in the correct direction.
And do use a heavy glove ! I do have a Graupner one with extra rubber tubes inside.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,730 Posts
I use a leather glove on the hand doing the prop flipping. It helps prevent the nasty cuts, but it can still hurt if it back fires on me.

What I do is prime the engine some, I choke the carb, then turn the prop over several times to get fuel into the carb/engine. Then I hook up the glow ignitor, then I give it a back flip and most of the time the engine fires right on up.

At the beginning of this video clip you can see the back flip method.
ASP 180 engine test run 02 MOV (4 min 36 sec)
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add more information