SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:21 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Discussion
Building a Tiny Cub

Well it is starting to get cold in my area and I realized that I don't have anything to fly indoors so I decided to build something. Found these plans a while ago in the vintage and old timers thread. For electronics I have a buddy that is bringing me a crashed micro foamy Sukhoi. for the time being I am build this plane per the plans other that lighting it up as much as possible. If I like the way flies I will build a second wing to incorporate ailerons into the design. Enjoy.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:59 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,577 Posts
How small is "tiny"? It does look neat so far...
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:05 AM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Got the fuse framed up aside from a few stringers that need to be put in but I want to wait until I get the electronics and get them in it when it is still pretty open.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,511 Posts
Looks GOOD. Do you plan on adding an "extra" strength to the wing (i.e. sruts)?
Also for the next build, you may want to consider loosing the sharp angles in your cut outs (i.e. fuse sides) Best to have rounded corners; less chance of it tearing so to speak.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Aaawww! AIn't that a cute little cub?

The wing is classic ancient built-up. If she flies okay, I'd suggest you look at thinner/lighter TE and LE and fit at least a top spar at the high point of the airfoil. It won't mess up the lifting ability of the wing much, but it will make it stronger for little or no extra weight. I'd have built the fuselage sides out of mostly 1/8" square balsa and a lot of holes - always keep lots of holes in a box in my workshop, they are great for adding lightness , but what the heck. You're doing it, stick in there and good luck with the project.

Indoor flying is great. Dependable weather, no cancellations due to high winds and if you're real lucky, a supply of fresh hot coffee right on hand.

If you get hooked on indoor, you aren't that far south of the Disaster of Columbia - go look up the early season indoor sessions in the National Building Museum - http://go.nbm.org/site/Calendar/1486...tail&id=113663

The host club, the 'DC Maxecuters;, are a chapter of the 'Flying Aces Club', AKA ground zero for real aeromodelling in small sizes. The events feature RC at one end of the building and free flight at the other. They are real pinnacles of the hobby. Even more fun, you can actually get parking at the building by pre-entering. The coffee's laid on for free too

Good luck with your project

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, MD
Joined Sep 2011
61 Posts
I built the 17" wingspan Dumas J4 Cub using a vapor brick and PZ J3 motor. I have actually never flown mine indoors, but it does okay outside when its calm. I think yours being a little bit bigger will fly even nicer.
RocketDog is offline Find More Posts by RocketDog
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
rcav82r- Yes I will be putting wing struts on it jsut ran out of time last night. Now I am working the next 3 nights in a row so I won't get to it for a few days, also I need to get back on my 30% Cap 232 build as well. I want that in the air this coming spring and there is still lots of work to do on it.

Derek I was thinking I may add another spar to the top of the wing but I was going to wait until I get the wing struts on to see how strong it feels then.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
hmm, I like the look of that cub! is it a pretty easy build? I'm thinking that might be a good little project for the winter.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,513 Posts
What do you use to cover the wings with, silkspan and dope?. I built a 38" cub a little while back and used what I thought was a park flyer iron on. It twisted the wing bad and trashed it. I didnt want to use silkspan cause its not very puncture resistant to stiff weed stalks in my field.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Jeremy It is a very easy build so long as you are comfortable cutting out all you own parts. What you see so far is about 4 hours worth of work.
Edwin I will just be covering it with yellow tissue pape. I did it on another small indoor flyer and it was really nice. unfortunatly it never got to fly as I came into my basement were my shop was and a book had fallen off my self and crushed it. here are some pics of the other one before and after.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,479 Posts
Check out your local Schools...We can use our local Cafeaudigymnatorium once a month for just donations toward school projects.
30 guys usually 'donate'4 or 5 bucks for an afternoon of fun.
It's an amazing amount of fun,and the comaraderie makes those winter afternoons a pleasure.
You'd be surprised at the number of fliers who learn to control their aircraft quickly,as the limitations are not forgiving..They become more proficient with larger models at the field,also.
You don't "go along for the ride" indoors-you put it where it needs to be.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Flying Low
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Earl glad to have you along for the ride on this tiny little bird. It is pushed back for a week or so while I wait until I can get up with my buddy to get the eletronics. For now I am putting another foamie together as we still have a few more chances for outdoor flying before it get way to cold.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Jeremy It is a very easy build so long as you are comfortable cutting out all you own parts. What you see so far is about 4 hours worth of work.
Edwin I will just be covering it with yellow tissue pape. I did it on another small indoor flyer and it was really nice. unfortunatly it never got to fly as I came into my basement were my shop was and a book had fallen off my self and crushed it. here are some pics of the other one before and after.
that sucks that it got smushed. I think I will build that cub this winter, and slowly work to getting it as an RC. I will be following this thread for sure!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,513 Posts
Yeah, thats a bad thing. And a book can do such massive damage on this scale. I also do the silkspan or tissue paper too. Then the trim flights are a toss into the high grass in a field (which must be dead calm). Most of time it survives, but every once and awhile you get a stiff stalk through the wing or fuse. My last one was a gillows champ while recuperating from a minor surgery.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Yeah, thats a bad thing. And a book can do such massive damage on this scale. I also do the silkspan or tissue paper too. Then the trim flights are a toss into the high grass in a field (which must be dead calm). Most of time it survives, but every once and awhile you get a stiff stalk through the wing or fuse. My last one was a gillows champ while recuperating from a minor surgery.
Edwin
Cool, ive built a guillowes arrow and im almost done a guillowes t28. Funny story about my arrow. I had just finished covering the whole wing and was letting it dry. For some reason, one side was hanging off the table a bit. Then, my dog, who just had surgery and had a cone, walked into the room and, you guessed it- snapped theend off the just-finished wing.