SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
I would like to thank member Red-RX7 for providing the original background image that I have edited here.

I hope some experts here can review my layout and provide corrections or comments.

My main questions:
  1. Should I be getting my BEC power from the battery side of the Logger instead of after the Logger as shown?
  2. How is the OSD Pro actually getting power in this configuration? Is it getting it solely from the Logger? Is there any voltage going from the Rx to the OSD Pro through the servo wires?
  3. Is a 4S battery going to cause any problems? Do I need to provide BEC power to the "Throttle" input on the Logger? That seems kind of redundant...
  4. My VTx runs on a separate 12V but supplies 5V to the camera. The way I have it shown, there is no ground going to the OSD Pro. Will this work?
  5. Same question as #4 for my microphone. Will this work without the common ground?

Any help is much appreciated!
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Last edited by wannabe; Mar 28, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Hi wannabe.

1) It is best to get it after the e-logger. This way, you monitor the total mah consumed. If you took the BEC power before the e-logger, it would work fine, but the mah consumed value displayed would not include the mah consumed by the BEC.
2) I *think* it is being powered by the e-logger, and the servo connections act as back-up power.
3) If it is a V4 e-logger 4S should be OK. You do not need the extra throttle in connection for power, since you have connected other servo wires already to the e-logger.
4 and 5) Having a common ground between the two batteries is the best practice, and maybe necessary to avoid video/audio level issues. Just connect the two grounds together.

Extra note: remove the ground wire that goes from your ESC to the OSD. I had it connected too, untill one day the motor current decided that it should follow this route to return to the battery. The wire melted within seconds, but luckily no other component was damaged since this happend during pre-flight test and I shut the throttle immediately. It is safer to have only the signal wire connected.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:33 PM
radian 4700
Canada, QC, Saint-Hyacinthe
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
I need help to connect my fpv camera to the OSD pro.

My video Tx is powered with a 2s lipo. My question is if i cut the camera wire in 2 part, the camera part goes to OSD video in and the Tx part go to the OSD video out, will this work?

i wonder if i got to put voltage regulator between the camera and the OSD?
because my camera is 5v

here a picture:http://i.imgur.com/rp6FA.jpg
francoishaha is offline Find More Posts by francoishaha
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoishaha View Post
I need help to connect my fpv camera to the OSD pro.

My video Tx is powered with a 2s lipo. My question is if i cut the camera wire in 2 part, the camera part goes to OSD video in and the Tx part go to the OSD video out, will this work?

i wonder if i got to put voltage regulator between the camera and the OSD?
because my camera is 5v

here a picture:http://i.imgur.com/rp6FA.jpg
I have the same set up as you. Look at the diagram in post #46. I run 5v power from the VTx to the camera.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
radian 4700
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I have the same set up as you. Look at the diagram in post #46. I run 5v power from the VTx to the camera.
ok, so you only send the signal (green wire) to the OSD in and out
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
ok, so you only send the signal (green wire) to the OSD in and out
Yes.

The video wire from your camera (color?) will go to the Vid In side of the OSD and the video wire at the VTx (green in your case) attaches to the Vid Out side of the OSD. Same thing if you want audio.

You should also pass the power wires through the Vid In/Out pins on the OSD. The voltage pin simply loops through in/out and is isolated from the OSD system voltage so you can pass the 5v to camera through there. The ground pin connects to the OSD system common ground and is necessary to connect to the camera for the OSD display to work.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
radian 4700
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
i thought it was that way but it's reassuring to have a second advice

thank you !!!

by the way, can you tell me if im right:
the BEC from the ESC goes in the EloggerV4 throttle, then on the OSD it goes from the throttle out to the Receiver? Leaving the throttle in empty on the OSD
Last edited by francoishaha; Apr 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
i thought it was that way but it's reassuring to have a second advice

thank you !!!

by the way, can you tell me if im right:
the BEC from the ESC goes in the EloggerV4 throttle, then on the OSD it goes from the throttle out to the Receiver? Leaving the throttle in empty on the OSD
To answer your question the connector of your ESC goes to the "throttle out" connector on your OSD. The throttle connection from your receiver goes to the "throttle in" connector on your OSD. It does not connect to your eLogger at all.

Please DO NOT use the BEC of your ESC to power this. They are way too low current for supporting this system and your other devices. Plus it will introduce tons of "noise" on the wiring and your system will have serious problems until it overheats and shuts down in flight leaving you with a very expensive mess to clean up.

Bite the bullet and spend the money on a good low noise stand alone BEC. Then clip or remove the red wire on your ESC/throttle connector to disable the ESC BEC. If you can spare the room/weight a second battery for powering your system will work too and eliminate any possible "switching noise" being introduced. You will save yourself a lot of grief.

Best of Luck,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Last edited by camship; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
radian 4700
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
To answer your question the connector of your ESC goes to the "throttle out" connector on your OSD. The throttle connection from your receiver goes to the "throttle in" connector on your OSD. It does not connect to your eLogger at all.

Please DO NOT use the BEC of your ESC to power this. They are way too low current for supporting this system and your other devices. Plus it will introduce tons of "noise" on the wiring and your system will have serious problems until it overheats and shuts down in flight leaving you with a very expensive mess to clean up.

Bite the bullet and spend the money on a good low noise stand alone BEC. Then clip or remove the red wire on your ESC/throttle connector to disable the ESC BEC. If you can spare the room/weight a second battery for powering your system will work too and eliminate any possible "switching noise" being introduced. You will save yourself a lot of grief.

Best of Luck,

Rob
Thanks Rob, u save my equipment
i will post my wiring diagram, if you can tell me if im right
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
radian 4700
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
Here my eagle tree OSD pro wiring diagram:

using FatShark 5.8GHZ 100mW transmitter
Turnigy 9x8c v2 receiver

and this is the video cable after modification. I only use the video to the osd so i bypass the audio.

and this is a global pictur of all the mess:

Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
I'm getting ready for bed but I have to ask, is the blue device a stand alone BEC or part of the ESC? I have never seen an ESC with a separate BEC like that.

The rest of it looks good. Just a bit confused about the BEC part.

Rob
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
radian 4700
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
It's a cheap ESC i got from Ebay, yeah it look weird but working good
tomorow i make a bench test

thanks
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:39 AM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
It's a cheap ESC i got from Ebay, yeah it look weird but working good
tomorow i make a bench test

thanks
Well, for what it is worth I would NOT use that BEC attached to your ESC like that. It is what I was trying to warn you about. You need a good, not inexpensive BEC to run your equipment that is not attached to your ESC.

Read this thread please for BEC info on actual tested equipment. The BEC tester.

If you choose to fly it like that it may work but all I can say is cheap and FPV do not go together. It usually ends in tragedy. Why risk a couple hundred dollars on a $10 savings?

Best of luck to you,

Rob

EDIT: I use these BEC's for most all my setups. They have been tested by a number of RCG members quite thoroughly and are as nearly "noise free" as you will get in the hobby class.

UBEC-5A-HV $22.00 @ Helidirect
UBEC-8A $15.38 @ Helidirect This one is limited to a maximum input of 3 cells, (12.6v) but seriously rocks with two cells for running your cameras, etc.
Last edited by camship; Apr 16, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
radian 4700
Joined May 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
Well, for what it is worth I would NOT use that BEC attached to your ESC like that. It is what I was trying to warn you about. You need a good, not inexpensive BEC to run your equipment that is not attached to your ESC.

Read this thread please for BEC info on actual tested equipment. The BEC tester.

If you choose to fly it like that it may work but all I can say is cheap and FPV do not go together. It usually ends in tragedy. Why risk a couple hundred dollars on a $10 savings?

Best of luck to you,

Rob

EDIT: I use these BEC's for most all my setups. They have been tested by a number of RCG members quite thoroughly and are as nearly "noise free" as you will get in the hobby class.

UBEC-5A-HV $22.00 @ Helidirect
UBEC-8A $15.38 @ Helidirect This one is limited to a maximum input of 3 cells, (12.6v) but seriously rocks with two cells for running your cameras, etc.

Thanks again, i will certenly buy one of these UBEC, you are totally right, i wont try to save few dollars for risking losing all the equipment

I suppose the UBEC goes directly to the Receiver in the battery input and the BEC from the ESC, goes in the OSD

i check the ESC spec and it's 3amp esc 60amps, seem to be fair enough dont you think?
Last edited by francoishaha; Apr 16, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again, i will certenly buy one of these UBEC, you are totally right, i wont try to save few dollars for risking losing all the equipment

I suppose the UBEC goes directly to the Receiver in the battery input and the BEC from the ESC, goes in the OSD

i check the ESC spec and it's 3amp esc 60amps, seem to be fair enough dont you think?
Use one either the UBEC or your ESC connected BEC. Do not use both. It will be a very bad thing if both are connected.

You can disable the BEC on your ESC by removing the red wire pin from the plug that normally plugs into your receiver and using some shrink wrap or insulated tape to secure it so it will not touch anything and burn up some expensive stuff. You will still be plugging it into the OSD Pro throttle out.

If you choose to use the UBEC it will plug into your receiver just like you normally would. If all your receiver slots are full you can use a "y" servo cable to plug it into any of your servo slots. The power for the OSD Pro comes from your receiver connections and your eLogger.

Do you have a name and model number for your ESC? I am really curious about the detached BEC arrangement.

Good Luck,

Rob