HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,418 Posts
Discussion
ParkZone Parkflyer Warbirds for 2014

As we wait for ParkZone's last warbird for 2013 to hit the store shelves, I will be the first to admit that the parksized Mosquito, with it's twin brushless motors, was a complete surprise. While a number of flyers expressed hope that PZ would produce a twin, I don't think that anyone truly believed that their wish would come true.

So now it's time to turn our thoughts to the future. Will PZ do a repeat/upgrade of an existing bird; will they give us a plane that we have been begging for for years; or will they floor us with another punch that we didn't see coming.

Although this thread is open to all opinions, there are a couple of requests/suggestions:
1) Although it's listed as a discussion of ParkZone planes, it really pertains to all Horizon Hobby parksized warbirds, so any discussion of E-flite birds is welcome.
2) This is intended to be a joyful look at possible ParkZone warbirds. Please refrain from any negativity.
3) Comparison with products from another manufacturer should only be done in a positive light. For example, saying that your Dynam plane is less expensive, more to scale, etc. is not a positive comment and should not be made here. Saying that you love your Nitroplane Hellcat and wish that PZ would produce one would be welcome.
4) If you are asking/predicting a plane that is not main-stream, it would be helpful if you could attach or reference a photo of the plane. There are some contributors, like me, who have a rather limited knowledge of the various planes and are greatly helped by photos.

First, a quick re-cap of where we have been with PZ parksized warbirds.
- 2005: Frankie P-51 (started the madness)
- 2006: FW-190
- 2007: Spitfire Mk.II / T-28 Trojan (Navy)
- 2008: Corsair F4U
- 2009: Gunfighter P-51 / BF-109G / T-28D Trojan (Army)
- 2010: Wildcat / P-47
- 2011: Spitfire MkIX / SE5a
- 2012: Albatross / Corsair F4U-1A
- 2013: FW-190A-8 / Mosquito

As you can see, PZ traditionally gives us 2 warbirds per year. There is no reason to suspect that this will change for 2014. So make your predictions accordingly.

HH has been issuing warbirds in groups or series.
1) Original E-flite P-47 Razorback and P-38
2) Original PZ skin over frame Frankie / FW-190 / Spitfire MkII
3) Full body foam T-28 Trojan / Corsair / T-28D Trojan
4) 900mm lower cost Gunfighter / Wildcat
5) 1100mm with options BF-109 / P-47 / Spitfire MkIX / Corsair F4U-1A / FW-190A-8
6) WWI SE5a / Albatross
7) Twin motor Mosquito
8) E-flite P-40 and Zero

I don't think that we'll see any more WWI warbirds.

I don't think we'll see any more 600mm warbirds from E-flite

I don't think we'll see any more 900mm low cost warbirds.

I do think that we'll see another twin.

I do think that we'll see a 1100mm divebomber.

I do think that there is an 1100mm P-40 in the works, but I think that getting it to look scale, yet fly the way PZ planes are know to fly, has been a problem and has prevented it from being brought to the market.

So now that I have let you know what I think, what does everyone else think/predict?
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Last edited by Leo L; Oct 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Jul 2006
213 Posts
Thanks again for creating this thread, Leo, and to maintain tradition I will try to be one of the first to respond.
While I am still basking in the glow of the recent Mosquito announcement, there is a part of my brain that keeps pushing the Bearcat forward. So I guess I'm going to stick with that as my prediction for 2014.
Big Bad Wulf is offline Find More Posts by Big Bad Wulf
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,539 Posts
You just had to do it didn't you! Ok, I'll go with a P-40 and a B-25, though a full house (flaps and retracts) P-51 must also be a possibility (yawn... )
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:52 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,418 Posts
I've always maintained that as long as PZ is selling the Wildcat, there is no chance that they will introduce a Hellcat or Bearcat. Now that the Wildcat has been discontinued, I'd say that there is a better than even chance that we'll be seeing either a Hellcat or Bearcat in the near future.

As soon as I posted this thread, I realized that I forgot to mention the E-flite Sea Fury, E-flite Albatross and E-flite Hurricane. Sorry to the E-flite fans.

Back in April of 2011, I gave up on PZ ever producing a bi-plane and bought a Great Planes SE5a that a flyer was selling at my field. I had said that I would never buy a balsa plane again, but I really wanted a WWI bi-plane and I was sure that I would never get one from PZ. Less than two months later PZ announced their SE5a! Shift to two weeks ago: I finally gave up on PZ ever producing a parksized P-40, so I went to the LHS and bought the UM P-40, even though I had previously stated that I would never buy a UM. I'm hoping that history repeats itself and that in a few months PZ announces a parksized P-40!
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
826 Posts
Subscribed, thanks Leo!
peterswolf is offline Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulf View Post
Thanks again for creating this thread, Leo...
While I am still basking in the glow of the recent Mosquito announcement
Ditto the above. Thanks Leo.

Really happy about the mossie. I guess looking back with hindsight, the mossie makes sense given they had already released a micro version and it seems to have been very poopular.

But I wonder if PZ won't hold off any more twins until the dust has settled with the mossie? Maybe they will want to wait and see if this twin sells first?

My guess would be a P40 in flying tigers colours. Although I would love a RAF desert airforce P40.
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,894 Posts
I think your predictions are dead-on, Leo, but I'll predict 3 for 2014; in no particular order, a B-25, a P-40 (retract and flap ready) and a P-51D (also retract and flap ready) . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:53 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2013
530 Posts
A 1200mm or so Skyraider would be cool. Besides that, P-40 or P-38... P-39 maybe.
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
Bethesda, MD
Joined Jul 2006
385 Posts
Like most of you, I thought a P-40 was a near certainty. It's too iconic (maybe only 2nd to the P-51) and its absence is noteworthy. Reliable rotating retracts means this on has to at least be on the drawing board.

The Mossie was a real surprise, but now that twins are on the table? P-38. Airframe configuration and Lockheed licensing might make this one difficult, but this is another one that they must be thinking of.

Full-house P-51 (1100 mm). Yup, I know, another P-51???? But this is an obvious hole in their lineup. Everyone else has one and they'll never compete on price leading, so I suspect they'll aim at the value-added segment and possibly make it the first AS3X-equipped 15-size warbird.

Wildcard picks:
-Zero
-Hellcat
-P-39
-Something Russian
WRXpilot is offline Find More Posts by WRXpilot
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:36 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2013
530 Posts
How about a recover-their-senses re-release of the Wildcat?...

I WANTED ONE.
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,933 Posts
Something Russian - how about a Mig-3?
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,057 Posts
I sure hope that after the Mossie , there will be a DC-3 / C-47
And a WW1 Fokker DVII ,

wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:23 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
I sure hope that after the Mossie , there will be a DC-3 / C-47
And a WW1 Fokker DVII ,

I will be sad if we've seen the last of the WWI line, but I'm afraid Leo may be right about that . . .
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,894 Posts
While I'm thinking about it, why not a good, old-fashioned Jenny? It's iconic, right? Warbird trainer turned barnstorming plane? Paint it up however you like? Add a wing-walker! The only one I'm aware of is Maxford's.

I know, I know, but what do dreams know of boundaries (and bean-counters) . . .
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:28 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,621 Posts
I'm still hung up on a Swordfish or Dauntless ... preference would have to be for a Swordfish, that would be SOOOO cool, very original, and an instant classic.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99