Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3SHXX View Post
Chris, I received my 355 on friday, pretty good shipping time despite the holidays....!!!
All looks great(no damage), just like my 323 I got from you a few moths ago . I ran a few test flights in my back yard(winter here now in Pa.) and swapped out the 8 inch props for 7 inch props and I think I like them better. Since this build came out very light(much lighter than my 323) it seems to balloon up easily with the 8 inch props and has much lower rpm to hover(1/4 throttle)....!!! But more tests needed in the future to be sure the 7 inch props are the better choice. Also this build has the RCX 20amp esc`s, are these the ones that RCmart sells that are Simon-ked or did you Simon-k them....? Just curious since these have black shrink tubing and the Simon-k that My RCmart lists have a pink or purple heat shrink....!!! Thanks again for a great product and great service, again will give + rating.....!!! Good Holidays to you and the wife....!!!
Which motors did you go with?

cheers, Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,366 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3SHXX View Post
Chris, I received my 355 on friday, pretty good shipping time despite the holidays....!!!
All looks great(no damage), just like my 323 I got from you a few moths ago . I ran a few test flights in my back yard(winter here now in Pa.) and swapped out the 8 inch props for 7 inch props and I think I like them better. Since this build came out very light(much lighter than my 323) it seems to balloon up easily with the 8 inch props and has much lower rpm to hover(1/4 throttle)....!!! But more tests needed in the future to be sure the 7 inch props are the better choice. Also this build has the RCX 20amp esc`s, are these the ones that RCmart sells that are Simon-ked or did you Simon-k them....? Just curious since these have black shrink tubing and the Simon-k that My RCmart lists have a pink or purple heat shrink....!!! Thanks again for a great product and great service, again will give + rating.....!!! Good Holidays to you and the wife....!!!
Thanks for the feedback, Sir. Thanks for the traders feedback, as well. I reciprocate shortly.

The 7 inch props will give you very good flight time, now that's for sure.

The ESCs I ship at the moment are RCX simonk ESCs. The pink ones had issues with quality control. Essentially, the factory workers would let slip many of them with "failed" flash so nearly half of them were not actually flashed with simonk firmware, though, they were supposed to be. So all the pink ones were recalled, reflashed and they replaced them with black one. So far so good, all of them have the simonk firmware on them (I've used over 150 of them). They are running the TGY.Hex firmware from simonk. I'm actually the person who brought that up to myrcmart's attention because I was having issues with motors not starting at the same time and differential beeps when connecting the battery. That's because some were flashed and some were not. In an attempt to fix this issue I reflashed the ESCs and that's when I discovered that some were not flashed because re-flashing them solve my problems with differential beeps and motors startup. MyRCmart was very quick to contact the factory and this problem was rectified in a matter of a few days.

These ESCs used to be called "fast escs" on myrcmart's website. That's because they were worried about rights on the FW. I explained to them that they would sell more of them if they plain called them simonk escs and that they could send a few bucks to simon, even though it is not mandatory, and I believe they did.

Anyways... The short answer is that myrcmart shows pink ESCs on their website for the simonK ones but that's just because they have not updated their website. The simonk escs now ship with black heatshrink.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,366 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I took my Armattan out today and managed to do a couple of nice circles and a bit of a messy figure 8. Lots of back and forth flying punching the throttle. I had strapped my 808#16 on but unfortunately the battery died before take off so I didn't get any footage. That really sucks as I had quite a few shots where I was rocketing over obstacles at close range.

I have the 2650mah Nanotech that I'm using. It's rated 35C-70C. After just a couple of minutes of flying I notice when I punch the throttle I get some beeping. I'm fairly sure I'm not getting past about 85% throttle yet so I'm wondering if my battery is having problems keeping up or if that's just normal with this power beast?
I wonder what 35-70c actually means? When is it 35? When is it 70? Anyways, I suspect the "35" isn't helping. With a "good" Angel Power 2200mAh, 40c, I get about 4 minutes before the beeper starts beeping and from there I have about 1.5 minutes left before I have to land. That's flying very aggressively doing hard recoveries on flips, etc.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,404 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I wonder what 35-70c actually means? When is it 35? When is it 70? Anyways, I suspect the "35" isn't helping. With a "good" Angel Power 2200mAh, 40c, I get about 4 minutes before the beeper starts beeping and from there I have about 1.5 minutes left before I have to land. That's flying very aggressively doing hard recoveries on flips, etc.

Best,
Chris
I always thought it meant 35 constant 70 burst. Am I wrong?
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, NY, Bronx
Joined Dec 2012
35 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Chris my build order is:
1xArmattan M230 fully assemble w/spare parts.
MrBiggz is offline Find More Posts by MrBiggz
Last edited by MrBiggz; Dec 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
292 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy1 View Post
Correct.

Side note: I just received my second package from Chris after only 10 days.

Thurmond
T3PRanch is online now Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,432 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:

Best,
Chris
Quote:
From what I read it sounds like what Creepy said... the 35 is continuous but it handles bursts up to 70C. I figured a 2650mah at 35C would be pretty close to 2200mah at 40C. I guess what I should do is actually video and time the events. Thinking back on it I may have been flying longer than I realized. I was reviewing footage I shot from the F45 yesterday and it was longer than I had expected. I also have a zippy 2650mah that is rated at 45C. Once I solder on the connectors I'll try that one out too. Thanks Guys!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2008
372 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Which motors did you go with?

cheers, Andrew
Andrew, I went with the "RCX 2822-12 1800kv motors", amazing power, smooth and I am getting at least 10 minutes time with just the cheap Zippy HK 2200mah 20c batteries.....!!!
N3SHXX is offline Find More Posts by N3SHXX
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jun 2008
372 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
MYRCmart esc.`s

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Sir. Thanks for the traders feedback, as well. I reciprocate shortly.

The 7 inch props will give you very good flight time, now that's for sure.

The ESCs I ship at the moment are RCX simonk ESCs. The pink ones had issues with quality control. Essentially, the factory workers would let slip many of them with "failed" flash so nearly half of them were not actually flashed with simonk firmware, though, they were supposed to be. So all the pink ones were recalled, reflashed and they replaced them with black one. So far so good, all of them have the simonk firmware on them (I've used over 150 of them). They are running the TGY.Hex firmware from simonk. I'm actually the person who brought that up to myrcmart's attention because I was having issues with motors not starting at the same time and differential beeps when connecting the battery. That's because some were flashed and some were not. In an attempt to fix this issue I reflashed the ESCs and that's when I discovered that some were not flashed because re-flashing them solve my problems with differential beeps and motors startup. MyRCmart was very quick to contact the factory and this problem was rectified in a matter of a few days.

These ESCs used to be called "fast escs" on myrcmart's website. That's because they were worried about rights on the FW. I explained to them that they would sell more of them if they plain called them simonk escs and that they could send a few bucks to simon, even though it is not mandatory, and I believe they did.

Anyways... The short answer is that myrcmart shows pink ESCs on their website for the simonK ones but that's just because they have not updated their website. The simonk escs now ship with black heatshrink.

Best,
Chris
Ok Chris, thanks for the update on the RCX esc`s and also keeping them on their toes, alot wouldn`t go to the trouble to inform them. They still seem like a reputable seller and are open to suggestions and complaints and take care of problems, that`s important....!!! With the gaining popularity in multi-rotors I predict we will see more and more pre-flashed Simon-k esc`s , hopefully, eventually at the same price point as standard esc`s , will be convenient for all of us quad fans.....!!!!
N3SHXX is offline Find More Posts by N3SHXX
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
292 Posts
If we analyze the specifications of the motors I received for my CNC 355. The RXR2600KV we can see that the max amp draw is specified to be 24A and the recommended esc is 30A.
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-a28228-2...e5mm2sd6eu2ij5
This would mean that we will need approx 96A at full throttle staying within the test parameters that were stated in the motor data with a 6X4 prop. This would require a 45C 2200 3C battery as a minimum to supply the current required at max draw of the motor. A 2650 35C to 70C 3S battery would be capable of 92.75A steady state and 185.5A in burst so it should be OK for any flying of this craft because full throttle use is limited to very brief usage.

However Chris uses 20A esc's and a larger prop than is specified with great success given by the number of craft he has sold and that there are many different users flying with no issues (it would be safe to assume) since there do not appear to be negative reports on his builds. Therefore, it must be inferred that either the manufacturers like to err rather grossly on the safe side when specifying hardware and hardware combinations or that the test data they use is not applicable in the type of model built by and flying style that Chris uses.

Thurmond
Last edited by T3PRanch; Dec 22, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PRanch View Post
If we analyze the specifications of the motors I received for my CNC 355. The RXR2600KV we can see that the max amp draw is specified to be 24A and the recommended esc is 30A.
http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-a28228-2...e5mm2sd6eu2ij5
This would mean that we will need approx 96A at full throttle staying within the test parameters that were stated in the motor data with a 6X4 prop. This would require a 45C 2200 3C battery as a minimum to supply the current required at max draw of the motor. A 2650 35C to 70C 3S battery would be capable of 92.75A steady state and 185.5A in burst so it should be OK for any flying of this craft because full throttle use is limited to very brief usage.

However Chris uses 20A esc's and a larger prop than is specified with great success given by the number of craft he has sold and that there are many different users flying with no issues (it would be safe to assume) since there do not appear to be negative reports on his builds. Therefore, it must be inferred that either the manufacturers like to err rather grossly on the safe side when specifying hardware and hardware combinations or that the test data they use is not applicable in the type of model built by and flying style that Chris uses.

Thurmond
The formula I believe is..
1.2/1.5 x Max Amp Draw = Recommended ESC Amp Size

I'm running 1800kv's with a max draw of 16.6a each with 20a esc's.

1.2/1.5 x 16.6 = 19.92/24.90

Not sure if this is good for my esc's but I have had no issues with lack of power, or heat.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Correct.

Side note: I just received my second package from Chris after only 10 days.

Thurmond
I'm gonna have our shippers talk to Chris. Chris please inform them that actual shipping comes before any type of ass thumbing, Okay? This includes holiday ass thumbing aswell!

I got my 355 from Chris in I think it was 8 days, and that included a weekend!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
292 Posts
My point was that Chris's builds fall well outside of manufacturers specifications BUT in real world conditions work VERY well. I have no heating issues from battery (2200mAh 40C 3S), motor or esc's.

Thurmond
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,404 Posts
Quote:
My point was that Chris's builds fall well outside of manufacturers specifications BUT in real world conditions work VERY well. I have no heating issues from battery (2200mAh 40C 3S), motor or esc's.

Thurmond
Wouldn't it actually be better as we're not running at full therefore putting less stress on the components? Or do I have that ass backwards? I'm running that exact same battery in mine.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't it actually be better as we're not running at full therefore putting less stress on the components? Or do I have that ass backwards? I'm running that exact same battery in mine.
You have seen Chris fly. He pushes his quads hard due to his extensive practice and skill gained by it yet I have not heard him mention any component failures on the quads he fly's. If we are to believe the manufacturers specs are real world then Chris "should" be having failures or at least heating issues but he isn't, so his models and extensive testing have led me to begin to question the limitations that the manufacturers specify in their data. I am re-examining my builds to determine if I don't actually grossly overbuild by using esc's that are of excessive capacity and more costly and if I also build using smaller props than I could actually use if I were to partly ignore the manufacturers recommendations and do some real world testing instead.

Given my above statements I recently finished a build of an H-Quad using Hobby King 12A Blue Series ESC's and an 800KV motor that is specified at 15A max draw. I am using a 9X5 3 blade prop on the motors that should be too big according to specifications BUT there are no heating issues with ESC's or Motors which leads me to believe that Chris is onto something in his build style since my design like his falls outside manufacturers specifications but works quite well when specifications say it should not.

Thurmond
Closed Thread