HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Discussion
Parallel and series charging

Ok, Im going to start getting into some parallel charging, and was wondering if someone could enlighten me in lamens terms the difference between the two??

I have 2 5s 6600 lipos that I need to charge at the same time..Is this parallel?? And what do I need to do it?? Right now I have a powerlab 8 with the basic TP and the JST XH board..Would just like some insight as I am charging them both individually and its taking forever..I do plan on buying a generator as I know this is the only way to get it done fast..Thanks in advance for any help
LTR450 is offline Find More Posts by LTR450
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:00 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Pages 17, 18, and 31:

http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1377.pdf
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,549 Posts
OK, you have a PL8 which will only charge 8 cells in series.You have 2 5S batteries which would be 10 cells in series so you cannot do that with your PL8. So you will be charging in parallel.

In order to charge in parallel with your PL8 you have two ways to go.Assuming your batteries are TP. You didn't say
1. Get two of the FMA Safe Parallel Adapters
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...arallel-Adapte

2. Get one of the EPBuddy paraboards for TP batteries.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=344

If I am wrong about the batteries and they have JST-XH balance connectors:
3. Get the FMA MPA adapter.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA_2/MPA-XH_2

What are you using for a power supply now?

Remember that Preset 3 is the high power preset. Presets 1 and 2 are limited to 10 amps.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:27 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
They are TP Saddle packs for my Electra, Looks like the EPBuddy board is the way I have to go..I plan on ordering a maxamps 24 volt supply off a generator ..

I'll admit I dont know my way around the power lab as well as I should, so I do need to brush up on it..Im lost on the presets..lol I bought it for the reason of my electra, which I just finished..I have only been using it to balance charge single lipos at a time..Parallel charging is a first for me..
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:54 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTR450 View Post
They are TP Saddle packs for my Electra, Looks like the EPBuddy board is the way I have to go..I plan on ordering a maxamps 24 volt supply off a generator ..

I'll admit I dont know my way around the power lab as well as I should, so I do need to brush up on it..Im lost on the presets..lol I bought it for the reason of my electra, which I just finished..I have only been using it to balance charge single lipos at a time..Parallel charging is a first for me..
Parallel charging via the PL8 is no problem at all. Just set up your charge parameters as you would for a single pack. Then when the prompt for parallel charging is displayed use the INC key to change the number of packs to 2. The charger will multiply the charging current by two for you.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:36 PM
Danville, NH
Joined Mar 2009
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Parallel charging via the PL8 is no problem at all. Just set up your charge parameters as you would for a single pack. Then when the prompt for parallel charging is displayed use the INC key to change the number of packs to 2. The charger will multiply the charging current by two for you.

Glen
Thank You guys very much