HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
FIFTEEN DEGREES of pitch at hover? That's insane. That's more than the max pitch of virtually every extreme 3D setup out there. 4-5 degrees is more like it, but it's also dependent on your throttle curve.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinbeachman View Post
huh?
Exactly.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihover View Post
I have adjusted the push rods 3 turns for a hover at mid stick. In theory this should be when the blades are at 0deg pitch at mid stick, but I for one have found the pitch is say 15deg at mid stick which produces hover at mid stick. I use the bullet/FF blades, is this what everyone else is experiencing?
YOU DO NOT WANT THIS. The "theory" you are going by is incorrect. A CP heli will not hover with 0 pitch period and it is not suppose to!. This is why you have had to add pitch to get it to hover mid stick. If you want your heli to fly right you need to do some adjustments and get it back to 0 at midstick and hovering at 70-75% of the stick.

BTW I am flipping my heli with a pitch around 10 degrees pos and around 9 neg...... So I would guess my hover is at about 5 degrees
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
S.E Missouri
Joined Mar 2010
196 Posts
I think maybe some pilots are trying to set it up to learn cp, so if they aren't doing 3D or flying inverted they have no use for all the neg pitch.
Deserthobbies is offline Find More Posts by Deserthobbies
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserthobbies View Post
I think maybe some pilots are trying to set it up to learn cp, so if they aren't doing 3D or flying inverted they have no use for all the neg pitch.
Even still it should be set up correctly....and he has way too much pos pitch to be getting any kind of stable headspeed

If someone wants to set it up for a newer flyer then start with around -2 degrees of pitch working up to 0 degrees at 50% and then from there make it linear to about 7 degrees pos at the top. So a curve like 42-45-50-65-85. This will be a very mellow curve and will give a little negative to get out of the wind, while keeping the heli setup how it should be with 0 pitch being mid stick so you dont have to retrain yourself later for setup and flight
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:19 PM
S.E Missouri
Joined Mar 2010
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Even still it should be set up correctly.

If someone wants to set it up for a newer flyer then start with around -2 degrees of pitch working up to 0 degrees at 50% and then from there make it linear to about 7 degrees pos at the top. So a curve like 45-48-50-65-85 This will be a very mellow curve and will give a little negative to get out of the wind, while keeping the heli setup how it should be with 0 pitch being mid stick
right thats what i was trying to say. lol
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:22 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Nobody needs all that negative pitch in NORMAL mode that they have on the RTF or tell you to use with the BNF.. I'm using L=49 and this is working fine in the wind..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:27 PM
S.E Missouri
Joined Mar 2010
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Nobody needs all that negative pitch in NORMAL mode that they have on the RTF or tell you to use with the BNF.. I'm using L=49 and this is working fine in the wind..
Glad someone understands , lol I prefer a high headspead and less pitch for my scale helis to hover, i think it makes them more stable.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Suprised you are able to get it down if it is windy without at least 1 or 2 degrees of negative. I have had mine not want to come down well when i was in normal mode which i have setup at around 2 degrees of negative pitch at bottom stick in about 5-8 mph.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Glad someone understands , lol I prefer a high headspead and less pitch for my scale helis to hover, i think it makes them more stable.
Interesting. I find the opposite. I've run it down to 2800 rpm and had it super stable and slow to react. That said, I usually leave curves in that keep it above 3800 rpm.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Suprised you are able to get it down if it is windy without at least 1 or 2 degrees of negative. I have had mine not want to come down well when i was in normal mode which i have setup at around 2 degrees of negative pitch at bottom stick in about 5-8 mph.
Because his setting of 49 doesn't really mean anything. He could easily have -2 degrees at 49%.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
I've got my bottom stick at 50, with the next step up at 45. Gives me plenty of negative pitch for dealing with wind.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:45 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Mine took two full turns "out" on each link to move the swashplate up to zero at half stick.
Mine took 4. With the RTF tx, it would only hover for about a minute before there was not enough stick left to keep it up. I then put it on the DX6i and put in 58 points of subtrim, before adjusting the links.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:48 PM
S.E Missouri
Joined Mar 2010
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
Interesting. I find the opposite. I've run it down to 2800 rpm and had it super stable and slow to react. That said, I usually leave curves in that keep it above 3800 rpm.
are you flying pod and boom or a heavy fuse ?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:50 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Same here my throttle is steep as I also find that I need the head speed when flying on the driveway between the houses as I it gets blown every which way up, down, right, left.. I'm so happy to finally have a nice flying heli that just loves to fly in these conditions..

I'm also finding that I'm liking 40% low rate throws and 0% EXPO.. Gives me smooth control and still more than I need to fight the wind..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob