HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:38 AM
"gamma"
Milano - Italy
Joined Dec 2007
240 Posts
Discussion
a new project...what to do?

To build Esmeralda, the Midwest fantail launch was a very pleasant experience: the kit was easy to build and the Heritage engine ran sweet without major problems since the very beginning, it gave me the pleasure to have my first steam model engine (I had never seen one in real before).
Now, even if Esmeralda still needs the final details and I have still to see my little boat sailing on open waters (i guess that i'll need to wait the mild season) I started to think about something more challenging but I realize that I am still far from the right knowledge to build a full plant with a bigger engine and therefore I am here for help, suggestions and...encouragement
At the moment my whole knowledge is coming from forums and it is not easy to turn it into a practical work...what is this, how does that work? dimensions, pipes, connecting nuts, tools...too many open questions.

I am therefore thinking of trying an "intermediate project".
A 30" hull open launch, called La Mouette attracted my attention and...inspiration.

I have already (bought about 10 years ago, already dreaming about a steam powered boat ) a saito engine, complete with its horizontal boiler and burner, no connectios, no funnel... but it is too difficult for me and, after all, I like boats having vertical boilers.

I have also a single Cylinder engine manufactured by Miniature steam, I like it very much

and definitely it looks more adequate to the short boat i have choosen.

Now the questions:

1) Am I going towards the right direction?

2) The boiler should be 3" diameter X 7" high (without funnel), where I find the right one? I am looking for a boiler having already installed all the various fittings, as pressure gauge, water level, outlet pipe and almost ready to be connected to my engine.

3) i have only a little vice and a dremel manual drilling pen, soft soldering iron and...nothing else ; which are the basic tools i need to work on my new project in particular on the pipes network?

Ok mates, thank you for your attention and future advices.... this is all ...at the moment
sergio-italia is offline Find More Posts by sergio-italia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,859 Posts
Macsteam boilers in the UK make what you need, I think.

http://www.maccsteam.com/Vertical_bo...half_inch.html
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:09 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,634 Posts
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Looking forward to following along!!

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:36 AM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
wow shes pretty! I can't wait to see this one
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:16 PM
"gamma"
Milano - Italy
Joined Dec 2007
240 Posts
Does anybody out there know this french company?

http://jpb-vapeur.wifeo.com/index.php

their boilers look nice.

Any info will be appreciated
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:07 AM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
deleted
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Last edited by sunworksco; Feb 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:06 PM
"gamma"
Milano - Italy
Joined Dec 2007
240 Posts
I need your advices about the boiler size
My boat (the drawing is at the beginning of this thread) will have the following measures: 30" long and about 8" max. width
I'll use a Clyde engine manufactured by Miniature Steam
The drawing shows a 3" boiler (height 6" and weight about 1 Kg empty) but someone is suggesting me to use a 2" boiler (height 3" and weight about 600gr empty) to keep the weight down, but this option will give me a run no longer than 15 minutes.
I would like a longer run so a 3" boiler would be preferred but in the same time i want a realistic look on the water so a right waterline.
Any suggestion about what to do?
Thank you mates for your help
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:59 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Go for a 2" boiler with a feed pump. You'll extend your runtime and everything will stay nice and low. You'll start out a little low in the water and end up a little high in the water...
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
With a feed pump you then need to store water onboard and it will just complicate matters. A 30" boat is small for this extra system.
Sergio your boat design has a fairly wide beam so a 3" boiler should do well, and would be stable, You can reduce the height, and increase the stability by mounting the boiler and engine as low as possible and chosing a boiler with a low height or as low as you can get it. I have completed three steam boats with verticle boilers and none have required any ballast for stability and they could be weighted for more draft but I chose not to do so. You will be fine with a 3" boiler. The one nice thing about an open launch is there is slim chance of being top heavy since there is no superstructure to add weight above the center of gravity.

Ciao
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
"gamma"
Milano - Italy
Joined Dec 2007
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks View Post
Go for a 2" boiler with a feed pump. You'll extend your runtime and everything will stay nice and low. You'll start out a little low in the water and end up a little high in the water...
Thanks but I am too new for complicate systems...may be little by little, learning more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveciambrone View Post
With a feed pump you then need to store water onboard and it will just complicate matters. A 30" boat is small for this extra system.
Sergio your boat design has a fairly wide beam so a 3" boiler should do well, and would be stable, You can reduce the height, and increase the stability by mounting the boiler and engine as low as possible and chosing a boiler with a low height or as low as you can get it. I have completed three steam boats with verticle boilers and none have required any ballast for stability and they could be weighted for more draft but I chose not to do so. You will be fine with a 3" boiler. The one nice thing about an open launch is there is slim chance of being top heavy since there is no superstructure to add weight above the center of gravity.

Ciao
Steve
Thank you Steve, i like to hear your words...they make me feel more confident in my future of steam boater
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
deleted
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
Ciao,
I have seen some steam launches with a water storage tank built as the platform for the steam engine and boiler.
There is always a way to add tanks to a launch without crowding out the power-plant.
Kind Regards,
Giovanni
Yeah it can be done, but a 30" launch does not leave much room for a feed water system. get a hull length of 40+" then you have some room to work with.

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:37 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined May 2007
495 Posts
Hi........pump the water up ,from the lake..not saltwater....... i have 3 boat where i do that. My work perfect.and.i have a small filter on

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Malcolmbeak...sai on the forum

There is no water tank - water is drawn from the pond, river, lake etc. Pure water is no good as it's electrical resistance is too high, and the level control system can't distinguish between steam and the water
There is no filter - as I said, I've been running this boat for around 25 years, and during that time I've never had any problems due to dirty water. If a leaf or somthing of that sort got over the intake, it would obviously stop working, but with the intake well under the hull, this hasn't been a problem.
Bernhard BB is offline Find More Posts by Bernhard BB
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:52 AM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
deleted
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:33 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined May 2007
495 Posts
Hi........ here is my Regner el pump...there take the water up from the lake,,,,,

Regner water pump in steam launch (1 min 39 sec)
Bernhard BB is offline Find More Posts by Bernhard BB