HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:31 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
sorry but i read earlier about lawmate receivers not doing good with spw or cl.
i could not find info on that and solving the lawmate vrx issue... or is it still an issue ?
i have recently acquired a lawmate vrx since i heard about how good it can be vs generic chinese vrx.
thanks
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:23 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW View Post
sorry but i read earlier about lawmate receivers not doing good with spw or cl.
i could not find info on that and solving the lawmate vrx issue... or is it still an issue ?
i have recently acquired a lawmate vrx since i heard about how good it can be vs generic chinese vrx.
thanks
That was an isolated special problem. There is no problem with LMRX and these antenna.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:02 AM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
thanks...
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
My first SPW Antenna

Well, here it is, my first attempt at an SPW antenna for my RX. It's 910 mhz. Works so far on the bench, so I went ahead and gooped it up with hot glue.

This antenna was made from a Rubber Ducky antenna from HK. I had to do this because the connectors on the HK VRX are not SMA connectors; so I disassembled the dipole part of the RD and used the coax that was inside. I kept the joint on the connector and hot glued the top end. Then I mounted the clover-leaf end inside a GLAD container.

I'm going to try a ground test today and see how it does with my cloverleaf VTX antenna.

Stand by!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:48 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Well, here it is, my first attempt at an SPW antenna for my RX. It's 910 mhz. Works so far on the bench, so I went ahead and gooped it up with hot glue.

This antenna was made from a Rubber Ducky antenna from HK. I had to do this because the connectors on the HK VRX are not SMA connectors; so I disassembled the dipole part of the RD and used the coax that was inside. I kept the joint on the connector and hot glued the top end. Then I mounted the clover-leaf end inside a GLAD container.

I'm going to try a ground test today and see how it does with my cloverleaf VTX antenna.

Stand by!

Bob
Bob,

Nice work! The drag of that GLAD container will be enormous though....

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
I don't think my receiver will even notice!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:41 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
I don't think my receiver will even notice!
It will if the wind picks up
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:50 AM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Very nice, Bob! Nice work!
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:07 AM
Joined Feb 2011
14 Posts
Made antennas

Yesterday I made my first 5.8 Ghz circular polarized antennas. Cloverleaf turned out nicely but Skew-Planar Wheel was a bit messy. I put too much epoxy on Skew-Planar Wheel. Now I need to test these antennas to see how they perform. Used RG58 coaxial cable.
Lauri1000 is offline Find More Posts by Lauri1000
Last edited by Lauri1000; Dec 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri1000 View Post
Yesterday I made my first circular polarized antennas. Cloverleaf turned out nicely but Skew-Planar Wheel was a bit messy. I put too much epoxy on Skew-Planar Wheel. Now I need to test these antennas to see how they perform.
Looking at the fourth picture from the right makes me wonder what may remains in those what it looks 2.4Ghz whip antennas? Usually such antennas are so called pot antennas where there is a metal tube forming one part of a dipole and the center wire the second pole. Now, since your antennas are what seems to be at the far end of the original antenna, I truly wonder if you took the tube out?

Markus
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:23 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Yesterday I made my first circular polarized antennas. Cloverleaf turned out nicely but Skew-Planar Wheel was a bit messy. I put too much epoxy on Skew-Planar Wheel. Now I need to test these antennas to see how they perform.
Ok, I recon that this is eventually just RG58 cable?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
14 Posts
It's just RG58 cable, nothing more
Lauri1000 is offline Find More Posts by Lauri1000
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volto View Post
It will if the wind picks up
Hopefully not! Here's a shot of my brand-new BMGS. (That's Belly-Mounted Ground Station ) I wear the GS with a strap around my neck, right above my belly. My RC Transmitter is strapped below it TO the GS. I can fly with my hands in the "normal" position, and hold my RC TX up above the GS if I need to look at my RC Transmitter (or use it to block the sun).

Flight tested this system yesterday, and it works like a champ!

The SPW and Clover Leaf antennas are performing EXTREMELY WELL, at least in the eyes of this FPV Noob!

Thanks Alex, and everyone else for your help and support!

Bob
aka
Chairwolf
Last edited by Chairwolf; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP View Post
Very nice, Bob! Nice work!
Thanks! I feel like I'm bringing a cake to the field every time I put that thing in the car! ha ha
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
Quote:
The shape looks good! Nice work. (I can really say that, because mine are the result of about 4 feet of wire going into the trash can first!!! )

Bob

edit - I just noticed that you mentioned using epoxy. I was thinking - I broke my SPW on the bench right after I bench tested it, and had to re-solder the top (signal) connector. If you use hot glue, and the antenna breaks later, you can melt the hot glue off and fix the antenna. It would be difficult to do (maybe even impossible) with epoxy. So you may want to give hot glue a try for your next one!

No criticism, just food for thought if it might be of some help.

Great work!

Bob
Last edited by Chairwolf; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:19 AM.