HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 08:45 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
5888 performance enhancement

After stabilizing ("unwobbling"!) the older 5888-R about which I posted above, while later speeding up a newer 5888-B, I thought I'd try the same "trick" with that red one. Of course it was already perfectly tracked (up to 40% more effective power!), but the fwd/rev [left] servo had limited travel (a PCB function: installing another servo won't change this, whereas a sluggish servo indicates a dying motor, etc., and should be swapped) and to increase the throw I had (hairdrier!,shield body) bent the thinner outer part of the left swashplate ball-joint arm almost 90 vertical [thereby effectively decreasing the moment-arm] while raising the servo link end to compensate.

The "trick" > simply increase the upper rotor's coning angle! Normally it should be several degrees greater than the lower rotor coning angle, which happily reduces rotor interaction (why the rotors are separated in the first place!). Since I'd already incr. the lower coning angle to give more control authority (by destabilizing the lower rotor with the incr. coning angle), so incr. the upper rotor coning angle completed the picture.

And .....................ZOOM!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Any video of the extra speed?

The pinion on one ofr my motors keeps slipping off, fast and easy place to get a new pinion anyone?
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old May 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Any video of the extra speed?

The pinion on one ofr my motors keeps slipping off, fast and easy place to get a new pinion anyone?
1. Same speed as my other 5888's (see vids I posted way back); this one was just slower till I boosted its speed as described above. The logic is that the maximum speed & performance is determined by the basic design AND user "tuning", etc; anything "off" will just degrade that potential maximum performance.

2. Just put a speck of CA gel on the cleaned shaft and quickly slide the gear in place. The slower-curing gel gives you some time-slack, and you can forcibly pry-remove it with nail scissors through a rear slot during the first few minutes.

Lee
Old May 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Thanks, will this do?

http://www.shop4glue.com/20g-non-dri...-etc-143-p.asp
Old May 25, 2011, 06:07 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,699 Posts
I bought a pack of gel CA at the 1 shop, you could try that first

Quote:
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old May 25, 2011, 08:12 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
YES > .... super-glue-ca-gel-cyano-gell ...

Lee
Old May 27, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
On Sale

Hi All, Focalpricedotcom, another direct from China supplier has 5888's on sale this weekend for $40.99 delivered. (SKU:YE376R) While I didn't buy either of my 5888s from them, I have made other purchases from them and they seem about the same as the other 4 d. from C. stores that I have used.
Keep it up.
kydlt
kydlt is offline Find More Posts by kydlt
Old May 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydlt View Post
Hi All, Focalpricedotcom, another direct from China supplier has 5888's on sale this weekend for $40.99 delivered. (SKU:YE376R) While I didn't buy either of my 5888s from them, I have made other purchases from them and they seem about the same as the other 4 d. from C. stores that I have used.
Keep it up.
kydlt
HAHA!! I ordered one, been waiting for a reasonable price for one of these.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old May 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
YES > .... super-glue-ca-gel-cyano-gell ...

Lee
In Canada we refer to that as 'Crazy Glue'.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/czpvid/videos/26/
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old May 28, 2011, 08:18 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
wrong product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post

'Crazy Glue'.is "super-glue", is alphacyanocrylate (CA) ..... but most pointedly NOT CA gel!

sorry, wrong product: the "normal" CA has much lower viscosity than "Crazy Glue"/ CA GEL, and is totally unsuitable for this and most 5888 apllications.

"Caveat Emptor",
Lee
Old May 28, 2011, 09:26 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post

Where I know the name "Crazy Glue" from.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096061/quotes?qt=qt0266426
Quote:
[Props man tries to attach antlers to a mouse]
Props man: I can't get the antlers glued to this little guy. We tried Crazy Glue, but it don't work.
Frank Cross: Did you try staples?
I'll get the CA Gel as you recomend Lee
Old May 29, 2011, 02:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
Hello I didn't read the entire thread because its a bit to much :P I ordered my 5888 yesterday and I have a little question. It comes with a wall charger but not with a usb charger . I still have a usb charger of a 6020 3ch helicopter , can I just use that one ?

I'm also curieus if anyone has already tried to upgrade the battery , I'm thinking about placing a 300 mah zippy 1S in it , not sure if that wont be to heavy though ... I think this battery weighs 10.5 grams , how much would the original weigh ?

How long is flight time with original battery ?

thanks
greets jonas
jonas hove is offline Find More Posts by jonas hove
Old May 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
vs. Nine Eagles vs. F27 ?

lee,

As you are the resident expert here, how would you compare the 3? I do have some 4 ch experience from years ago and never did much more than hover and FF.

I'm down to choosing between these 3 but you sure are covincing with the 5888! I'm only on page 6 of this this thread

thx

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old May 30, 2011, 08:16 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
lee,

As you are the resident expert here, how would you compare the 3? I do have some 4 ch experience from years ago and never did much more than hover and FF.

I'm down to choosing between these 3 but you sure are covincing with the 5888! I'm only on page 6 of this this thread

thx

bob
1. keep reading my various posts in this thread starting on page 5, as I SLOWLY began to sort these helis out.

2. although many like Nine Eagles products, I really do not (I'd get eFlite/Blade first)

3. the F-27 is a considerable larger & heavier heli. I personally prefer the small 5888 because I can get way-above-"scale" speeds wildly circling my living room. Unless you want to "work on" a 5888 to upgrade its speed by precise tuning & tracking [tips in my posts], you can expect a larger heli to do better in non-calm conditions outside.

4. As a Westerner, I find the 5888 to be a very attractive example of modern Chinese industrial design, but many who are unfamiliar with the "new China" may not.

5. except in very experienced hands [see below], the F-27 can be seen in most videos to be more "squirrelly"/less intrinsically stable than the 5558; but this may allow more exciting performance outside, where movement is more important than the fine precision I very much need in my living room, flying close to my free birds (and vice versa!).

6. check this out >

MJX F27 F627 - 4 Kanal RC-3D Gyro Hubschrauber Crashtest von Gobelus.de (4 min 10 sec)

Lee
Old May 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,472 Posts
Thanks, lee

I should say that I'm more interested in smooth, scale type flying and would prefer a heli that does that well; the less twitching and swaying possible. Thats what the NE seemed to do well?

I've seen that video of the F27 and was impressed altho it looks like the gyro doesn't keep it pointed when he rotates it a few times.

thx

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr