Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:20 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Build Log
EJF / Fly Fly MB-339

So I have owned four different MB-339's before, but they where all turbine. One from DL Aeromodels in Canada, one from ANK models in Torrance (no longer in business) and two from Tam/Cermark. When rumors about The Fly Fly MB-339 came out, I knew I would probably end up getting one.

The plane came nicely packed as usual. This time is has panel line and some rivet/fastener detail include.

Ralph
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:27 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
It begins

I comes with a Detailed picture building/instruction manual as usual Fly-Fly style. Constructions per the manual begins with the Nose, but you can start almost anywhere.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Fans and Retracts

Now letís move on to some decisions, Do you use the Stock Fly-Fly fan (included) with the kit or use your own. I elected to go with the Lander 90 mm fan, which will require some modifications to the plane but I will also not able to use the included thrust tube.

In Regards, to Retracts, you are in the same boat as the fan. People have expressed interest in the HET and the Spring Air. So I will also make my build with Spring Air which again will require some modifications.

Ralph
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 13, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Servos

For the most part, servos are glued into the flying surfaces, The plane has pockets for small servos, but All I had at the shop where Futaba 3102, so that is what I used for Elevators and Ailerons. Each Elevator half has it's own servo as do the Ailerons. I had to enlarge the servo pockets to fit my needs (or what I had available)

The Vertical stab does not have the rudder cut off, But if you want a rudder, you can easily make one yourself.

Ralph
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:08 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Since this is the exact gear I want, please make sure not to glue the wings on to make it easier to ship it to me. Great work, I can't wait to see it fly.

Why don't you just build a 2nd one right next to it while you are at it.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:30 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
Lookin' good Ralph!
Only thing that semi-concerns me is that landing gear mount... if it were mine I'd definitely dig in some hardwood rails a few inches each way to supplement that neat metal mount.

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Not really

Vic,

They improved the mounts since the F-4 so it has a little more bite. The metal frame/bucket/support if used get's glued to the Side and bottom of the gear mount, plus the wood support where the screw go in. So I think it has more Bite at least compared to the earlier planes if used per supplied gear and instructions. BTW I just came back from EJF and he still has a couple more 339's in stock

Ralph
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Nice!!!!! I didnt know it had cheaters on it though!!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:10 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Some minor delays.

It was a little Hot today, so I spent most of the time in the house working on small parts for the Sniper 90, you can look up that thread on the Ducted Fan section. Page 38 and 39

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050341

I also worked on the MB-339. I built the new trust tube, I didn't have Millar laying around so I used an old poster they had thrown away at the office, It was laminated, so I figured it would make perfect material for Thrust tubes.

Run all your extensions through the body of the plane but make sure you leave enough slack to remove the servo if you ever need to. Today was spent centering servos and testing RX etc. Right now I am waiting on some retracts that I traded with from Bob Ruff before I can finish the wing.

Turbulence
Last edited by CRCJA; Jul 14, 2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:29 PM
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
592 Posts
Is the wing removable for transportation?
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:55 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Yes

The wing comes off by removing a couple of screws.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker
Is the wing removable for transportation?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:33 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Ralph:

How much different would you say the foam really is from the previous flyfly models? Is it a huge difference?
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:05 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,367 Posts
It's EPO so it's gotta be big time different. EPO doesn't tend to have a perfectly smooth surface though and it's never been a great idea to glass it so would be interesting to see some close up pictures.

EDIT: Actually if you look at the 2nd pic above it's got a typical EPO finish.

..and that's why in this pic the lines aren't exactly sharp. Not that it'll notice in the air though.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2636662
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:12 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
In that photo it looks a lot like the Elapor from the Multiplex planes. If it is as tough as Elapor, that would be pretty good.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:27 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,367 Posts
EPO is same as Elapor. Multiplex has had this type of foam to themselves for far too long.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM