HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub LP Receiver failure

I purchased an SC lipo CH3 last week, and on its first maiden flight (not) the receiver cooked and died, When I first powered it up it smelled funny- that burning odor. Took it back to the store and they opened the receiver box and there was melt down. They called up HobbyZone and They said there have been no issues, but would replace the rx. No flying for me till next tuesday.
I'm glad that it failed before it was in the air. They also said that the LP was so new that there haven't been any reports except mine. Kind of a bummer, but I'm anxious to get the cub in the air after reading so much about it.
Anybody have any radio problems with the SC? Or just my bad luck? Is this plane jinxed? Thanks for any replies.
flyinfrog is offline Find More Posts by flyinfrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
418 Posts
Hi flyinfrog,

The new SC has not even been out more than a month yet, so there are bound to be a few issues as they come into the light with the plane. If possible, could you post a picture of the Receiver/ESC and a pic of the damage as well. If you still have it that is. Just go to Manage Attachments below when typing a new post, and you caqn upload photo files from your computer by clicking browse next to one of the empty file name boxes.

The crappy Rx/ESC that comes with the SC has been known for various problems, but mainly for glitching in the air. They redesigned it for the new SC, so I'm not sure what to tell you yet. But is should be pretty similar to the original. I've never heard of something melting down though.

Good luck,
Skyhawk 172 is offline Find More Posts by Skyhawk 172
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
SC LP radio woes

Thanks for your reply, Skyhawk- "Meltdown" is just a term. It (Rx) didn't "melt down" But upon inspection, one of the solder bridges on the circuit board did burn away (melt). The only warning before the Rx went dead was a burning odor and unexplained activation while the plane was on the bench getting ready.
Let's hope that this is a bad luck-QC issue and not a common event for the new LP Cub. HZ is replacing the Rx and I'll try again (to fly). I realize that you get what you pay for, cheap electronics, but even if it flies around more than ten times, it's worth the purchase price. The photo shows lower center where the burned solder was.
Last edited by flyinfrog; Jun 18, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:41 AM
Rob Lambert
Waterloo, IL (St. Louis)
Joined Oct 2007
4 Posts
Not The Only One

My SC LP also experienced the same type of problem. Just after its maiden flight landing with the motor throttled off as I approched the plane the engine kicked on at full throttle. Had to disconnect the planes battery to kill the motor. Reconnecting the battery would send it into full throttle. HZ replaced the electronics (also ch3). It flies fine now. I hope that this is not a trend..
stlouiscx2 is offline Find More Posts by stlouiscx2
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:55 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk 172
The crappy Rx/ESC that comes with the SC has been known for various problems, but mainly for glitching in the air. They redesigned it for the new SC, so I'm not sure what to tell you yet. But is should be pretty similar to the original. I've never heard of something melting down though.
Do you know for SURE the RX/ESC is redesigned (new)?
The new stock prop is a 9x6 I am told by a new owner. He also indicated the float version uses a 10x8. That would be a pretty heavy load on the old ESC, near 20A if they use the old 10x8 prop. My guesstimate is the old ESC was good for about 13A.

I've personally seen less issues with 'glitches' on 27MHz than newbies that have other electronic problem, can't figure them out, so just go Spectrum.
"Spectrum cures Everything".
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
9 Posts
Put in the replacement rx sent by HZ.(CH3) Everything's working OK for now. The LP can fly at half throttle for dam near twenty minutes.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:05 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Ugh, I don't get WHY hobbyzone would put in the same crappy electronics!! It would cost $10 per plane more to put in 3 wire servos, separate esc and rx. When are they going to learn? Just because it is a beginner plane doesn't mean that they need to skimp on the electronics.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:25 AM
crestwood ky
Joined May 2009
69 Posts
my reciever failed as well

I had the same problem on my second flight. The night before I adjusted the servos and tested it. It worked fine. The next day I went to fly and nothing, notta, zip. Went back to where I bought it and they HZ sent them a new receiver and I was back to flying.. except on the 4 flight (after having nosed it over a couple of times the motor quit working. I took off the prop and cowling and this is what i found.

The cowling pressed against the sharp edge of the motor and cut the wires almost in half. This is my very first RC airplane and I am teaching myself to fly. I think this is a bad design they should have some type of guard to prevent this or reroute the wires along the side so that if you have a nose over/crash then this wouldn't happen. (which is probably inevitable for beginners such as myself)

Has anyone else had this problem??
amacron is offline Find More Posts by amacron
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:23 AM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Put a couple layers of electrical tape around the wires where they meet the can of the motor.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:20 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1 Posts
Burned out receiver on SC LP

Hello out there in cyberland.
I purchased the SC LP a week ago and on the 1st flight which was incidently going quite well, the motor would cut in and out. When it finally quit for good and crash landed, I noticed a burning smell from the receiver. Opened it up and noticed the same burned trace on the cct board as previously noted in the discussions. I also broke the landing gear, wing strut and a clevis on the push rod. I am not to confident in this product so far. I am attempting to contact Horizon but they are slow in getting back to you and forget about waiting on the phone for tech support. I fell asleep. When I woke, I was still on hold. Also of note was that the LIPO battery was swelled up when removing it from the fuselage. Apparently this is not good thing to happen with that type of battery so I have disposed of it and hopefully get it replaced under warranty. I sure hope I get good service after spending $200.00 without even getting a full flight in.
new2flying is offline Find More Posts by new2flying
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:26 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,187 Posts
Hm, if they did redesign the RX/ESC they maybe did not do such a good job of it. Seems to be somewhat excessive failures for a new product.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver