New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by Framble
Joined Apr 2013
15 Posts
Question
My dad's new rc boat

My dad have been working on this new project. He is making a scale rc boat of the boat that my grandad used to work on. The boat itself is almost done, but he doesnt have the electronics yet. We need esc, radio controller (with sticks not wheel), servos. We have a 540 motor already placed in.

Here are some pictures

My question is, do you guys know any good radio systems that can work for this boat. Hopefully 3ch transmitter or more :P He wants alot of channels, i dont know why though :P
Framble is offline Find More Posts by Framble
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,073 Posts
Frambl- As for radio systems for your boat, you have a good number of 4 channel systems available to you from different sources here in the US. All the systems are 2.4 GHz, which means that they are all with the newest technology. All the systems come bare bones with only the transmitter, receiver and binding plug. You will have to buy, servos, electronic speed control for motor control.

By the way you must find out what voltage your motor runs on before buying your electronic speed control. Also you will need to buy batteries and charger to complete the running power for the boat. My suggestion would be to run with NI-MH batteries for ease of charging and powering the model safely.

Some suggestions for 4 channel radios are, Spectrum (DX5E), TACTIC (TTR410), Hobby King (HK-T6A-M2), all are available and in stock at the present time.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by mfr02
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,150 Posts
Not all 540 motors are created equal. The pictured one appears to have a fanciful pattern on it. This often indicates that it may have a high performance (i.e. very high revving and very high current at low revs) wind, which might not be appropriate for the boat shown. The good news is that stock 540/545 motors are cheap, and will be a drop-in fit. A prop the size shown would be better with a 545 because of the lower revving, but higher torque characteristics, but thats just my preference.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jul 02, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by cartix
Most anything RC
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Oct 2005
241 Posts
That motor looks like HPI's 27T Wheelie King motor.
cartix is offline Find More Posts by cartix
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by blkft1
Mesquite Tx
Joined Dec 2007
257 Posts
Nice boat! Just Google 12V 545 motors or check Vac-U-Boat.com (Phil). I sometime scavange old vacuum cleaners or hairdryers for motors cuz I'm cheap. Keep your prop no bigger than the diameter of the motor.
blkft1 is online now Find More Posts by blkft1
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by blkft1
Mesquite Tx
Joined Dec 2007
257 Posts
Also, check Craigslist for radio's.
blkft1 is online now Find More Posts by blkft1
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartix View Post
That motor looks like HPI's 27T Wheelie King motor.
That is true, was supposed to be in an rc car that i own but i sold it. So my dad wanted to use it in his boat.

Frankg said i could use this remote, 6 channels, cheap, but isnt it supposed to be used on a helicopter?http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by mfr02
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Framble View Post
That is true, was supposed to be in an rc car that i own but i sold it. So my dad wanted to use it in his boat.

Frankg said i could use this remote, 6 channels, cheap, but isnt it supposed to be used on a helicopter?http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html
In much the same way that your motor would not know whether it was in a car, boat, or blender, the radio cannot tell what it is being used for. The real differences happened a few years back, when AM/FM bands were used. Flight had its own dedicated bands in many places.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
4,073 Posts
Framble- Since all the radio systems have gone over to 2.4 Ghz, there are no more channels involved with the transmission of the signal. The only thing you would want to look for in a stick radio is that it is mode 2, which means that the left hand stick, up and down movement will be throttle.

Any 2.4 Ghz radio can be used for any function, land , sea and air. It will not work for subsurface or out of line of sight signal transmission.

To answer your question about the use of the motor you have, NO you cannot use it with that size prop unless you want to see magic smoke. You can use that prop with a marine motor made for extream torque like the M.A.C.K. Products Model Marine Motor #5045 for 12 to 16 volts or the Model #3600 Motor for use with 6 to 9.6 volts.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/mack_power.htm.

frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Today, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
Framble- Since all the radio systems have gone over to 2.4 Ghz, there are no more channels involved with the transmission of the signal. The only thing you would want to look for in a stick radio is that it is mode 2, which means that the left hand stick, up and down movement will be throttle.

Any 2.4 Ghz radio can be used for any function, land , sea and air. It will not work for subsurface or out of line of sight signal transmission.

To answer your question about the use of the motor you have, NO you cannot use it with that size prop unless you want to see magic smoke. You can use that prop with a marine motor made for extream torque like the M.A.C.K. Products Model Marine Motor #5045 for 12 to 16 volts or the Model #3600 Motor for use with 6 to 9.6 volts.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/mack_power.htm.

First off all, thank you for being so helpfull. My dad own a rather old radio controller/transmitter which uses a 27mhz crystal. Is there any recievers that will work for this? I can post a picture of the controller later if needed. It has two sticks one for forward/backward motion and the other left and right. Very basic controller with some trims. It is retro style looking and one of the first of its kind. So i would need reciever and servos that could work with it.

Picture: http://i.gyazo.com/6bd06aa6cc1060a1fecc09c6d1334d3a.png