Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Build Log
Falcon 56 Scratch Build

Ok, I'm starting to build my Falcon 56. I had one in 1968 and it had a Min-X galloping ghost with a LR-3 actuator. The engine was a Cox .15 Sportsman. Probably didn't have any throttle on it, don't remember.

I couldn't get a kit from Early RC Models so I decided to make my own. I use a CAD program called DeltaCAD. I converted the pdf plans I found here on RCGroups, to jpg. I then imported the jpg into my CAD and traced the outlines to create my own set of drawings. My drawings are very, very close but not exact.

I then used my CAD to create some laser files which were sent to the local cutter. I'll be supplying all my own wood. Most of it is 6 to 8 pound stock. It'll be about 10 days till the cutter can get to my files so in the meantime I'll bend up the LG, shape the LE and TE and such.

I also have to find somebody who can make me a set of decals. I've seen some pictures and scans of the decals here on RCGroups perhaps in the coming week or so I can get those nailed down too.

I got a canopy from somebody who built one but didn't use the canopy. So that hurdle is behind me.

Tonight I bent the LG. The nose strut will be bolted to the firewall just like the plans show and like the one I had.

I plan on using an OS 19 RC steel fin engine and use dyed silk and clear dope for the finish.

This will be 3 channels with the narrow nose. I can always build another wing with ailerons if I want to go with 4 channels.

I included some pictures that John Wisniewski (holding the plane in the first photo) had posted on RC Universe concerning the Falcon 56 thread. John test flew the original Falcon 56. His name in on the plans.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Last edited by Crist Rigotti; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added old photos of John and Carl.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Saturday evening I tapered the wing TE and the elevator. I'll add the notches for the ribs on Sunday and when they are finished, I take a couple of pictures. Then on to the wing LE.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
pd1
Find More Posts by pd1
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,165 Posts
Hi Christ, I just started helping a club member repair a Falcon III. I went and looked in an old box and found about 90 % of an early Falcon kit. I started building mine last week.
The decal set is still in the box and I'll see if I can make a copy.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by piperjoe
United States, MI, Interlochen
Joined Dec 2009
2,331 Posts
I'll be following along, Crist. I do like to see a Falcon 56 build and the three channel setup sounds like nice, relaxing, fun. Enjoy the build!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Hi Christ, I just started helping a club member repair a Falcon III. I went and looked in an old box and found about 90 % of an early Falcon kit. I started building mine last week.
The decal set is still in the box and I'll see if I can make a copy.

Paul
That's great news on the decals! Thanks. If you can take a high resolution scan or picture of them so they be easier to make.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
I'll be following along, Crist. I do like to see a Falcon 56 build and the three channel setup sounds like nice, relaxing, fun. Enjoy the build!

Soft landings,

Joe
Thanks Joe. I'm looking forward to using the laser pieces for a good build. Sure beats the inaccuracy and crushing from the die-cutting that the original kits had.
Last edited by Crist Rigotti; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by n00b-E
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
699 Posts
Subscribed. Crist, do you have a link to the plans, or do you think perhaps I could get a copy of the PDF file from you?
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
Subscribed. Crist, do you have a link to the plans, or do you think perhaps I could get a copy of the PDF file from you?
I added the pdf of the plans in post #1.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by n00b-E
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I added the pdf of the plans in post #1.
I thank you, Sir! My wife, however, does not. Looking forward to your build.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by czirh
Use your imagination....
Greece, Dafni
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Nice project, Crist.

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
2,287 Posts
Crist: There's a scan of most of the decal (minor problem on one side) in the decals thread, post 203.

My first digital propo trainer was a Falcon 56, with an OS 19 engine, but my instructor refused to even try to fly it with that engine and insisted I put in a bigger engine, so I used a McCoy .35. Not much more powerful an engine, though!

Loved that plane!

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,473 Posts
Wonderful photos of Messrs. Goldberg and Wisnieski with the original Falcon. I suppose they go back to 1961? Are more pictures available? I also built a Falcon 56 in 1967 but, believe it or not, FREE FLIGHT. At that time I had no cash for RC equipment. It flew so stable and beautiful it was unbelievable!!! It had a Cox Medallion .15.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post
Crist: There's a scan of most of the decal (minor problem on one side) in the decals thread, post 203.

My first digital propo trainer was a Falcon 56, with an OS 19 engine, but my instructor refused to even try to fly it with that engine and insisted I put in a bigger engine, so I used a McCoy .35. Not much more powerful an engine, though!

Loved that plane!

CD
CD,
I have an OS 20 R/C vintage 1972 if the steel fin isn't enough. Though I suspect it will be enough. I plan on building light...we'll see.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Wonderful photos of Messrs. Goldberg and Wisnieski with the original Falcon. I suppose they go back to 1961? Are more pictures available? I also built a Falcon 56 in 1967 but, believe it or not, FREE FLIGHT. At that time I had no cash for RC equipment. It flew so stable and beautiful it was unbelievable!!! It had a Cox Medallion .15.
Here is a link to the thread on the photos:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6664729/tm.htm

Free Flight? Hey it works and you had a good time.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,499 Posts
Here are some pictures of the wing TE, the elevator, and the stab LE. The stab LE was from Sig and I ran it through the table saw to create the 1/8 square groove. I used the "rod" method to sand in the tapers. First a razor plane the some 80 grit, 120 grit, then 220 grit.