SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by Profile Pilot
United States, AR, Alma
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
Discussion
Old Fuel

I have had a friend give me a couple of cases of Cool Power fuel. He thought it was a couple of years old. I did not notice any issues with it at all looking at it. It was stored in the original case in a cool, dry locker. I put it in a plane and I didn't have any issue with it for a few tanks. But now my OS.46 seems to be having some issues. Keeps wanting to dead stick. And now I am wondering if the fuel may be an issue.

I spun the engine over by hand and I think I have lost some compression. I was chatting with the buddy, and he said that he now thinks the fuel is about 7 years old. Would fuel that old lose its lubrication properties and still allow the engine to run? Or was my old OS .46 FX about to go out on me and the fuel switch was a coincidence?
Profile Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Profile Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by 1QwkSport2.5r
Sorely tempted.
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Dec 2014
644 Posts
The fuel should be fine after many years if kept sealed and out of sunlight. If it were my engine, I'd be pulling the head off and look at the inside of the cylinder and look for any abnormalities in the cylinder. Those engines sometimes do not fare well when run on fuel with synthetic oil only in the fuel such as cool power (green).
1QwkSport2.5r is online now Find More Posts by 1QwkSport2.5r
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Not smart ? Count on luck !
Joined Apr 2010
3,691 Posts
Like the guy says : "no fuel like an old fuel" .

Still using the last of my 30 plus year old Fox Missile Mist fuel . Works just fine , stored in clean , dry storage in metal cans , fully filled .
Partially filled containers may be a different story . Some oils may degrade with age at times .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,705 Posts
I still have some glow fuel that is at least 20 to 30 years old and it is still good.
As long as it is stored well, it will last indefinitely.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2015, 02:00 PM
United States, AR, Alma
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
Thanks for early replies. Makes me feel a lot better. I am tearing the engine down to get at the internals to see how it looks. I have run the Cool Power in my engines for awhile at the suggestion and caution of a friend, being very careful not to run lean.

I may be just paranoid about the compression when it started to act up too. I should know more once I get a look at the cylinder and piston.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by datsunguy
Joined Jun 2011
1,824 Posts
I bought 10 cases of Power Master when Sheldon's went out of business and before that 10 cases of Hobby Shack's White Lightning. That was over 15 years ago and both brands are still working fine. I have several cases of old Cox fuel that are at least 20 years old and it still works fine. Keep in cool dark place and it should last forever. The Hobby Shack fuel is in plastic jugs and still runs fine.

I have a lifetime of fuel in my basement.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:22 PM
United States, AR, Alma
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
Very re-assuring. The fuel I have looks like new the bottles were sealed. I am going to rule that out.

I got a good look at the internals and didn't see much to be alarmed about. I will head out to the field and try some more tuning, if it quits raining!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 05:48 AM
Joined Apr 2010
3,691 Posts
Very unusual for fuel in full containers , stored in a dry area with fairly constant temperature to go bad . Like I said before , the 35 year old Fox Missile Mist I am still using works just fine .

It is not at all unusual for a change in fuel to require different needle settings . A good chance you may need to tweek the needles a bit .
Last edited by Gary Cee; Jun 17, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 03:04 PM
United States, AR, Alma
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
I am not sure what is up with that engine. I had flown a few tanks of this fuel through it and a couple tanks in another plane. When this OS started acting up, I got nervous that it may be the fuel. After reading the replies here, I don't think it is. I went out this morning and was flying the plane with a TT Pro .46 and I have not had any issues. I don't think I have any issues with the fuel. I may have to do some more tuning to the OS. I just have to get it to the field and work with it to see if there is something wrong with it or I just need to tune it. Thanks to you guys for the relies.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 01:47 AM
Find More Posts by jeffie8696
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,656 Posts
OS46FX engines are known for peeling liners
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:37 AM
United States, AR, Alma
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
That is what I have... I tore the engine down and the liner is peeled on the exhaust port side. I guess I will have to get a new sleeve and piston.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by 1QwkSport2.5r
Sorely tempted.
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Dec 2014
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profile Pilot View Post
That is what I have... I tore the engine down and the liner is peeled on the exhaust port side. I guess I will have to get a new sleeve and piston.
That's the abnormality I was hinting at in my earlier posts. For some reason, those OS engines' liners tend to peel when run lean on synthetic oil only fuel. Bummer. Get a piston and liner for a Magnum .46 and slide it in. True ABC and fewer worries of the liner plating peeling. Plus the parts cost is over half of what new OS parts cost.
1QwkSport2.5r is online now Find More Posts by 1QwkSport2.5r
Old Jun 18, 2015, 02:57 PM
United States, AR, Alma
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
I see what you mean. I searched and read a couple threads about the Magnum parts fitting. For that kind of money, that is what I am going to do. Thanks for the tips.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by Focusyn
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Jun 2014
147 Posts
I was given some old Omega 10% by someone who dabbled in the hobby about ten years ago, and had been given someone else's old fuel from who knows when. I had this Tribute that was an old beater plane I got from someone throwing it away so I figured why not.

I used the fuel pictured in the attached photo in the video below. If you can't see it well enough in the picture that price tag is printed on one of those old hand held carbon mechanical pricing machines and is at $9.75 a gallon. It costs $20.49 at my LHS now, comes in a different bottle, and is a different color to boot!

Hangar 9 Tribute 36 - Tallahassee, FL (7 min 6 sec)
Focusyn is offline Find More Posts by Focusyn
Old Jun 19, 2015, 05:06 AM
Joined Apr 2010
3,691 Posts
It has a bar code so it is a lot newer than the Fox Missile Mist that I am using
But it is in a plastic jug .

Nice video .
Last edited by Gary Cee; Jun 19, 2015 at 07:40 AM.