New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turbojoe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,572 Posts
Help!
Windows 7 BACK to XP

I could post this on a computer forum but just don't want to deal with all the jerk wads that have to berate you for not knowing every little thing about every operating system. I'm sure it'll be a little easier with someone here.

Here's my situation:

I just built a new Win7 computer and it's working just fine now. The old box still has Win7 on it and I want to format and install XP from a FULL PRODUCT XP CD that I bought years ago. Neither computer even reads the CD. I know I need a boot disc to use it. I no longer have a floppy drive or any floppy discs. Is there now a way to create a bootable CD to do the installation? I've been trying to Google a solution but my head started hurting from trying to wade through all the worthless crap that is out there on the subject.

The reason I want to go backwards is so I can use my CBAII battery analyzer again. It's not compatible with Win7 without an expensive factory upgrade.

I also have Windows 2000 full and Vista upgrade. Can I use one of them to get to XP? It's been years since I've messed with anything like this and have forgotten just about everything. I'm sure there's a simple solution that I'm overlooking........

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,025 Posts
Joe, have you considered running the program in Windows XP mode?

Here is a link if you want to check it out...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

I haven't used this before but remember seeing this earlier when I was reading up on Windows 7.

Good luck.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,572 Posts
Thanks. I ran across that as well. Problem is that I have the Home Premium version and XP mode isn't available unless I step up to the next version. I don't want to spend all that money.

Here's something weird: I tried the XP disc again in the new box with Win7 64 bit and it read the disc this time. I keep trying it in the old Win7 32 bit box and it won't read the XP disc. It keeps opening the drive saying insert a disc when I try to read it in explorer. No matter what I do the XP disc won't read in this box. Other discs read just fine.

Too bad the CBAII won't work with Linux as I plan to do a dual boot with Ubuntu once I get the hard drive formatted and all cleaned up.

Because it won't be used for anything but CBAII and my FMA 4S and 10S chargers I wonder if Win 2000 would be an easier installation. I'm too burned out with all of this to give it a try right now.

Joe
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by cwesh
I post, thread dies!
Georgetown, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2003
205 Posts
Hi Joe,

Lets see if I can throw out some ideas....

I would think a full install CD would boot... at least mine do.

You may have already done this, but...

Is you PC set to to boot from a CD? i.e. is there a boot order setting in the BIOS? On mine, I have it set to floppy, CD and then hard disk. If I restart with a cd in the drive, it asks: "Press any key to boot from CD", once I press the famous "Any Key" the XP setup boots up and away we go.

Later!
cwesh is offline Find More Posts by cwesh
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,025 Posts
One more thing Joe... I realize this is tiring but if your PC has enough horsepower try Oracle Virtualbox. This is a great product, and will run an OS inside of a virtual hypervisor running on Win7. Sometimes hardware can be a challenge, but they have a lot of issues resolved. Worth a try as it doesn't cost. XP plays very nice.

It is a free open source product for the taking... click HERE.

Good luck!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:01 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,572 Posts
My old machine is about 8 years old. 3 gb ram 2800 AMD processor. It chokes on just about everything so unfortunately I doubt it could handle being a VM.

Something I just thought about. I previously ran a dual boot with Ubuntu about 3 years ago. Removed Ubuntu but grub somehow affects the boot loader and my sata dvd would cause grub to hang the boot unless I unplugged it during boot then plugged it in after boot. It worked fine then. I now have an IDE dvd in it and although it will ask if I want to boot from cd no matter what key I push it still boots into Windows. I wonder if grub is still causing cd/dvd problems. I try the sata boot method later to see if I can finally read the disc in that box.

Joe
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:35 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,572 Posts
Well shoot! Looks like the dvd was flaky. I plugged in a brand new one that I had and it now reads the XP disc. Even tries to boot from cd but still boots to Windows7 no matter what I do. Tried to run XP setup from within Win 7 but it fails and says the existing Windows is newer..... I'm convinced the problem is with the MBR. I tried all the MBR tricks a few years ago and never got rid of grub. Looks like I need a standalone formatting program so I can sterilize the drive and get any corrupted stuff off it. Any good free format programs out there? Is that the path you think I should take?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. I know just enough about computers to get into deep trouble as you can clearly see.

Joe
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by Peacemakr40
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
you can get the files to create a bootable thumbdrive that will boot in win98, winCE, etc. that will give you hd tools such as Fdisk, Format, etc.
If you have a laptop, try to put in the CD and boot to it. that will tell you whether the issue is with the CD or with the box you're trying to install XP on.
if it is the box, you should have a boot selection in the bios. Select the CD as your first boot device and clear any HD listings and try to restart the computer.
Peacemakr40 is offline Find More Posts by Peacemakr40
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:52 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,572 Posts
Getting more bizarre by the minute! Hopefully I can type this out so it makes some sense.

First off, CD/DVD is set in bios for first boot and it does come up with "boot to cd" at startup but starts Windows 7 from the HD no matter what key I hit. I've tried all combinations of DVD and HD on IDE primary and secondary cables. HD is set as master and DVD is set as slave. I finally tried booting from DVD with the HD unplugged. It booted from the XP disc and went through the setup process until it tried to find a HD to install to. Obviously it gave up when it couldn't find one. Tried plugging in the HD after XP started booting but because it wasn't configured in bios of course that didn't work.

I forgot all about a really old box that I have that has an old 80gb HD in it that already has XP on it. I pulled it out and stuck it in the box I'm trying to install XP on and it won't start XP install from CD either. Same thing. It just tries to start XP in repair mode but won't progress. It completely pukes XP on startup because I think it's bewildered by hardware that didn't exist back when it was installed.

This box previously used all SATA drives but SATA has been disabled in bios. It now has all IDE. I don't see that being a problem but thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm open to any and all suggestions (that don't cost money) now. This HAS to be a simple config issue for the XP disc not wanting to play nice if a HD is plugged in. I'm thinking even if I did get the HD formatted I may still have issues trying to install XP until I figure out this crazy problem.

Here is an idea I'm wondering about:
Put the drive I want to use in the old box in the new box and format it there? Install XP while still in new box and hope it can reconfigure to the old hardware in the old box......

Can't believe how much hassle I'm going through just because that damned CBAII doesn't work with Windows 7.

Joe
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Try setting only the CD/DVD rom as a boot device and disable all other boot devices. Depending on the Bios, you'll have a listing for 1st boot device, 2nd boot device, etc and try other boot devices. make sure that last one is also disabled. save and exit and try to boot to the CD again.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:29 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
Try setting only the CD/DVD rom as a boot device and disable all other boot devices. Depending on the Bios, you'll have a listing for 1st boot device, 2nd boot device, etc and try other boot devices. make sure that last one is also disabled. save and exit and try to boot to the CD again.
Give that man a cigar! That finally did it. I did have to remove the HD from the drive table as well before it all came together. XP then booted from CD just fine into the install program. I've deleted the Win7 partition and it's in the process of formatting right now. Gonna take a while as it's a 500gb drive.

Thanks again for all the help guys. Looks like I'm well on my way to having a computer dedicated to R/C........

Joe
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Eh,
you'd do the same for me if I needed help.
Hope the install goes smoothly for ya.

Russ

P.S. I'm an IT manager for a large financial company so I deal with this stuff day in and day out. Who knew it would pay off with my hobbies?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,025 Posts
Me too, on the projects side of things... I'm not doing much of the help desk stuff...
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71