HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:50 AM
Canada EH?!?
Joined Sep 2007
168 Posts
Discussion
Fiberglass reinforcement help

Hey guys,

I've been looking for the last 2 hours for an easy to follow tutorial on OSE, RRR, RCG, RCU....

And I can't find one!! LOL And yes I've tried Google, but corvettes and real boats keeps coming up in the search engine hahhaha

Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to laying fiberglass cloth to help me reinforce my BJ26 hull?

Thanks in advance!
syncronized is offline Find More Posts by syncronized
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:02 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
hey sync

i have some experience with FG, i start with the side's, cut all piece's you need (side, bottom and top) dab some resin on the hull side's first, place on the FG and then add some more resin, then lay the bottom and add more resin then do the same with the top, this way all the resin soaks into the FG and locks it altogether, you could add a 2nd layer if needed and do it while its wet

the key is to have all the FG cut 1st and lay some resin on the surface for the FG to hold (you could scratch the surface if you wish for a better key)
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:17 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,995 Posts
One more trick in the 3M spray adhesive. I spray it on the surface, lay the fiber, following all the curves without problems and then apply the resin. The adhesive will melt in the resin, so no problems here.
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:09 AM
Canada EH?!?
Joined Sep 2007
168 Posts
Thanks guys! Ok so in order....

1. scratch up hull
2. cut FG strips to appropriate length
3. apply resin/adhesive spray to hull
4. lay FG strips on sides/bottom/top
5. apply more resin

Do the FG strips have to overlap? Do you apply the resin with just a tiny paint brush? I think I saw a thread where someone used an old Credit Card.

Should the hull be done all in one shot? Or should I do it in sections?

Is there specific areas that need to be reinforced...or should I just try and cover as much area as possible? Not sure how I'm going to get into the sponsons! LOL

Also, can I just use epoxy? I've got some 12min epoxy lying around.

Sorry for all the questions...
syncronized is offline Find More Posts by syncronized
Last edited by syncronized; Dec 03, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:00 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,995 Posts
The 12min is categorized as adhesive, so it will not be very good for your application. Look for normal epoxy or poly resin, used for laminating. Usually the cure time for the epoxy is 12-24h and 1-2h for the poly, depending on the amount of hardener.
Main areas to reinforce: central tub, transom (including transom to hull edge) and maybe the sponsons. I would do the last steps (if there are any) and forget about the rest of it...
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:12 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
You definitely want to squeegee the excess resin away, it does nothing but add weight and makes it look sloppy.

Wax paper is your friend if you need to weight it down as well.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:45 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
I put my fiberglass on with finishing epoxy, which has a 1 hour working time.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops