HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:06 PM
Hold my beer, watch this!
United States, MA, Westfield
Joined Oct 2014
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
its not the price of clones that killed this bird. Cheap clones were available LONG before this heli ever came out... When it came out it was still expensive compared to walkeras stuff, but was as good or better than all of it (the FP stuff). I bought one because it was compatable with my spektrum transmitter... I have no desire for a box full of transmitters....
The truth is, its flybarless helis that killed it, basically, technology marches on... when the 120sr came out, it was AWESOME compared to what else was available... Today, its pretty crappy compared to what else is available.... The 45 flybar is WAY past its heyday.... trying to keep it going is like trying to stick with a model T on todays freeway.... when it came out, it was revolutionary, but compared to the cars of today, tis crap....

I hope blade will come out with a flybarless version (but still FP and still the same size)... I would buy one.
I agree. This bird was phenomenal when it came out. Slowly it was outdated and surpassed.

The 200srx is only slightly bigger, FBL and FP. I'm thinking this is the SR's replacement. I love mine and fly both daily.
therick04pp is online now Find More Posts by therick04pp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:50 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therick04pp View Post
I agree. This bird was phenomenal when it came out. Slowly it was outdated and surpassed.

The 200srx is only slightly bigger, FBL and FP. I'm thinking this is the SR's replacement. I love mine and fly both daily.
How do you like your 200srx? It seems I've read a lot of tail boom and hot motor problems.

I've had my 120sr for almost a year, learned to fly on it, and still fly it every time I go flying. I like the fact that it is so relaxing to fly around the place. As long as I can get parts, I'll keep this one flying.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:22 AM
Joined Oct 2014
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
How do you like your 200srx? It seems I've read a lot of tail boom and hot motor problems.

I've had my 120sr for almost a year, learned to fly on it, and still fly it every time I go flying. I like the fact that it is so relaxing to fly around the place. As long as I can get parts, I'll keep this one flying.
The 200's issue with the motors is the ESC. When guys started to fly them in the upper 2 advanced modes, it started to work everything harder. Since the ESC is a dual brushless (does both main and tail motors),it was having problems with it's LVC. Then, it was discovered that the tail motor wires were rubbing in the tail boom and grounding out the tail motor causing another LVC problem.. Some guys have posted "work arounds" but I have not had any of these issues.

It flies so stable, it looks like a photo sometimes. When it is set up correctly, it literally is hands off hover. I love the 200. I am with ya with the 120 flying as long as there are parts. Still a great flying bird no matter how "outdated" it is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:37 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,366 Posts
IMO, the 200srx is just too much $$ for what it is... $219 for a BNF fixed pitch? I can get a 180cfx for $30 more.... I wouldn't mind having a flybarless 120sr to kick around, but it would have to be under $150 to get my money... I guess for the absolute heli newb its one way to go, but in my opinion, a better, and much cheaper way to go would be to get a nano QX to learn to fly, then to right to a CP. The nano qx will teach you everything a 200srx will, for less than 1/3 the price, and WAY cheaper to maintain through the learning process.......

I guess if you never want to go past fixed pitch, the 200srx is definitely the ultimate heli though...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Dec 17, 2014, 01:48 AM
Joined Oct 2014
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
IMO, the 200srx is just too much $$ for what it is... $219 for a BNF fixed pitch? I can get a 180cfx for $30 more.... I wouldn't mind having a flybarless 120sr to kick around, but it would have to be under $150 to get my money... I guess for the absolute heli newb its one way to go, but in my opinion, a better, and much cheaper way to go would be to get a nano QX to learn to fly, then to right to a CP. The nano qx will teach you everything a 200srx will, for less than 1/3 the price, and WAY cheaper to maintain through the learning process.......

I guess if you never want to go past fixed pitch, the 200srx is definitely the ultimate heli though...
It is too much $$ at the moment, but it's new. It will eventually come down even if only a little bit. I'd say about $180 BNF would be decent considering how well it performs (when the bugs are worked over haha) and the options (self level and SAFE). To be honest, it flies like my SR when it's in advanced mode. I mean like spot on only it is more stable and smaller. It is a good "training" heli. What I learned with the 200, I applied to my 450x and I am thankful I had it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:05 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therick04pp View Post
It is too much $$ at the moment, but it's new. It will eventually come down even if only a little bit. I'd say about $180 BNF would be decent considering how well it performs (when the bugs are worked over haha) and the options (self level and SAFE). To be honest, it flies like my SR when it's in advanced mode. I mean like spot on only it is more stable and smaller. It is a good "training" heli. What I learned with the 200, I applied to my 450x and I am thankful I had it.
Rick, I see you live in Westfield. I'm looking to sell my 120SR (BNF) with a bunch of parts. I could meet you half way in Worcester. Click on my user name for some of the mods I did.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:55 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Jul 2013
204 Posts
Picked up one of these during the black Friday deal - couldn't pass up $70 delivered. My first heli, but I've plenty of fixed wing experience and I spent quite a bit of time on the sim before taking it up.

The good news is, everything went perfectly - I found it very easy to fly. Zero crashes, not even a rough landing over several days. However, a couple days ago - I was in a stable hover about 20' up, had some twitchiness on the tail rotor followed immediately by some small part departing the heli. Complete loss of tail rotor control, death spin, I cut the throttle and let it drop to the grass. Don't know exactly how many packs I'd flown, but definitely less than 20.

The tail rotor blade was off, but I can't tell for certain whether that was caused by impact, or if it's what I saw depart mid-air. The tail motor shaft had what appeared to be bits of the tail rotor blade on it - a thin covering of white plastic. Since this first crash wasn't due to dumb thumbs, and there was other damage (cracked canopy, bent flybar at a minimum), I've sent it back to HH for warranty repair.

So, the noob question - any ideas on what this could have been? Any known weak spots in the 120 design that might have caused this, and if so - any mods to keep it from happening again?
syspig is offline Find More Posts by syspig
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:20 PM
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Jan 2014
64 Posts
Sounds to me like it shed the tail blades. Was the little black bearing still there? Maybe you cracked them in a previous crash. Or, was it cold when you were flying? I'm leery of plastics exposed to low temperatures.
Mr.Atkins is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:32 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Jul 2013
204 Posts
Yes, the black bearing was still on the shaft - and zero crashes or hard landings prior. I'm in the PNW, but temps weren't freezing - maybe high 40's/low 50's when it happened.

I couldn't really tell in looking, but what exactly holds the tail rotor blade on? Is it simply a friction fit?
syspig is offline Find More Posts by syspig
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:45 PM
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Jan 2014
64 Posts
Yes. Just a friction fit. If the rotor hub was still on the shaft, then it somehow shed the blades. A good idea for your pre-flight inspection, eh?
Mr.Atkins is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:06 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Yes, the black bearing was still on the shaft - and zero crashes or hard landings prior. I'm in the PNW, but temps weren't freezing - maybe high 40's/low 50's when it happened.

I couldn't really tell in looking, but what exactly holds the tail rotor blade on? Is it simply a friction fit?
I use a couple dabs of Sally Hansen Hard As Nails (clear) to help keep parts from coming apart when CA would be over kill.

Click on my user name. That will bring you to my blog. I have a section in there for "must do" mods for the 120SR. Pay no attention to the fishing line mod. IMHO, if you don't use the right type of fishing line and do it correctly, it will bind.

There is also a "blade balancing" tutorial. Very important to have balanced blades.

Happy Flying,
Mike.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:43 PM
Joined Oct 2014
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Rick, I see you live in Westfield. I'm looking to sell my 120SR (BNF) with a bunch of parts. I could meet you half way in Worcester. Click on my user name for some of the mods I did.

Mike.
Hey Mike,

I'll def. let you know if I decide to get another 120. Being Christmas, money is tight to say the least, lol.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:54 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
327 Posts
Flew my 120Sr today, and I must say, it is a pleasure to fly this nice and simple heli around the place. I know cp heli's really up the performance, but I still like flying my first heli, my 120SR. Fun to bank hard and hear the blades beating/flexing in the wind. Pirouettes are nice and simple. Scale type of flying is just fun to do. I get about 4 and half minutes on a battery with simple flying, but if I am horsing things around pretty hard, then probably more like 4.

I am starting to learn backwards flying with this heli, going back and forth and in circles a little, just fun to kick back and fly.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,623 Posts
I still fly some F/P helis mostly FBL. just toi slow it up a little. I have many blade helis but never got the 120 SR. cost was more than I wanted to pay. To late now as no need for one. I do have solo-pro 328 and both are very similar.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
Flew my 120Sr today, and I must say, it is a pleasure to fly this nice and simple heli around the place. I know cp heli's really up the performance, but I still like flying my first heli, my 120SR. Fun to bank hard and hear the blades beating/flexing in the wind. Pirouettes are nice and simple. Scale type of flying is just fun to do. I get about 4 and half minutes on a battery with simple flying, but if I am horsing things around pretty hard, then probably more like 4.

I am starting to learn backwards flying with this heli, going back and forth and in circles a little, just fun to kick back and fly.
When you start getting comfortable with her. Switch the links to the "longer" balls

Mike.