SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2015, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2014
358 Posts
Discussion
OrangeRx giving sporadic data in PPM_SUM mode but fine as standard rx

Hello folks, I've got a bit of an issue today. I recently finished up my DIY tricopter and was flying it but started having motor issues when I changed some parts around (to long of mounting screws shorted to the stator) which grounded me for a bit while I was busy with other stuff. While I was getting it figured out I changed the OrangeRx R615X from standard wiring (one wire per channel) to PPM_SUM data on the throttle input only. Note I did change the motor / ESC but everything's the same other than that, same Arduino, same R615x, same everything else, the only difference is the wiring of the receiver (it's even still powered from the same 1A BEC)

See the short (~25Sec) video attached to see what it's doing but in short, the data coming in will randomly go crazy making the tri react violently. The higher the throttle I give it the more often it has a "tick" and at low throttle (just enough to lift off and hover) it hardly does it at all, when I go full throttle it's so bad it nearly crashes its self.

I'm a very competent soldered and have verified the connection is physically intact, I'm using 22AWG silicone 60 strand wire for everything non-power related and 18AWG silicone 120 strand power leads, the Rx is powered from a ESC's built-in 1A BEC and is the only thing running off that BEC. Battery voltage does not have any effect, it does it on a 12.56V battery all the way down to 9.5V. If you watch the screen you can see the biggest offender is the yaw channel (which is also noticeable just watching the tri in the air), the data seems to be most jumpy on it (ch4), AUX1 and AUX2 (Ch 5 and Ch6), Ch1 - 3 are all pretty stable and dont seem to be as effected.

Is there a fix for this? Is it a known issue with the orange and I should just go back to standard Rx wiring? This is the first time I've tried to run one of these in PPM_SUM mode. Should I try running in DSM2 mode and/or setting a dead band on the left stick? This appears to me like it's a FW issue, not a physical HW issue, especially considering it didnt do this in standard mode.

In this video I am not touching the sticks at all, I give it some throttle(but NO yaw) then take hands off, I also do not switch either of the AUX 3-position switches at all and it's 6 channels only so the AUX3 and AUX4 sliders shouldnt be moving at all.
Multiwii w/ orangeRx erratic RC data on PPM (0 min 24 sec)
Cereal_Killer is online now Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2015, 10:33 PM
Joined Dec 2014
358 Posts
I believe I have the problem solved- it's went away with during the prop-off testing I've done tonight but I'm not comfy calling it solved till I do more prop on testing tomorrow.

WRONG!!

The issue I found was a tiny little solder short between D12 and D11 on the arduino, seems simple I know but so far it's shown rock steady RC data coming in the GUI. I initially took it apart to swap back to standard RX wiring but I noticed the bridge right at first and tested and it seems like it's working.

Edit: I have now went back to standard wiring...
Last edited by Cereal_Killer; May 22, 2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 01:18 PM
Joined Dec 2014
358 Posts
So as it turns out it's not solved, nor is it any better at all! Without props it's perfect, I can shake it all around and test the heck out of it but in soon as I put props on it starts right back up.

The strange thing is, it definitely gets worse the higher the throttle you give it. It's crazy! I've just finished wiring it back up as a standard receiver, gotta take a short break (stupid work) but I'll be back to it with some prop on testing in just a few... I have my doubts, I think I need to switch to LemonRx from now on, we'll see tho
Old May 22, 2015, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2014
358 Posts
solved for sure now. I changed it over to standard one wire per channel setup and it's running fine. My question now is whether it's the Rx or the arduino that was causing it. Seems like it'd be the Rx, I'm giving up on orange and switching to Lemon for my next build...

Multiwii & OrangeRx working perfect in standard output mode (1 min 9 sec)