SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by nhp651
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
Discussion
Mv jupiter, a caledonian macbrayne ferry

Well, I suppose that I had better start my new project now that the lifeboats have been finished and sailed ( well, one at least, as the other has found a new home and I don't want it to sink before the new owner has taken delivery of it, lol)
My choice of new project ( or my daughter's to be honest) is one of Caledonian MacBraynes ( Calmac for short) inter Island roll on roll off car/passenger ferries that plied their way between Wemyss Bay and Rothesay on the Isle of Bute for a good 30+ years before being taken out of service a few short years ago to go for scrap.
There were three vessels in the class whish were called "The Streakers", and they were called Jupiter, Juno and Saturn. Sadly the Jupiter and Juno went for scrap some time ago but the Saturn remains tied up at a marina in Roseneath on Gareloch off the Clyde, opposite Greenock.
Below are some photos of the three ships whilst still in service, and I think that they have a particularly nice "dashing" look about them with a good flair at the bow and a lovely sheer to the hull.
I have sailed on them numerous times over the years with my family and always thought that they would make a good project, especially with twin Voith Schnieder propulsion units powering them.
So here it is, a joint project between myself and a friend called Andrew Petre' who lives close to Glasgow.
My daughter chose, out of the three vessels, the MV Jupiter for me to model for her in her last guise before being taken out of service, but below are some shots of all three boats, to give you a flavour of what they all looked like in their hayday, and happier times.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
And so to the model.
The hard work has been done, and all by my friend Andrew Petre'.
Andrew is a senior Camera Operater with the BBC Scotland Television service, and saw my request for anyone with plans of the Jupiter to contact me. That was some time ago and we have become friends over the airwaves over the past 8 - 10 months, and finally met up in Glasgow at BBC Pacific Warf last Saturday, when Andrew gave us a guided tour of the BBC studios, which, to be honest, blew our minds..........I have never been to a more fascinating place in my life, and Andrew showed us things that we would never see again in a lifetime.....A BIG THANKYOU , Andrew.
and so back to the build.

Well, Andrew has done the hard job, and that is to produce the plug for a fibre glass mould, and it is made to a scale of around 1:45 so 1.48 scale fittings if available for anything will not feel out of place.
But the first job will be to ready the plug for taking a GRP mould in order to take a few mouldings from.

This will be a direct copy from the plug, as the rubbing strakes and beltings on all three boats were different........they will be added to the moulding of boat choice once the relative owner chooses which boat he/she wants to model. The hull comes out at 59" or for the euro price....... 1.5 mts length over all.
This first part is a little ad hock as I can't describe how Andrew made the plug excepting to say that it was built conventionally from centre keel, frames and plank on frame with polyester filler to give shape.............my normal choice of build method for the plug.

All fittings I shall be making and moulding before casting, in multiples, using methods I have used before on my lifeboats but will for those who don't read lifeboat postings, re iterate when and where I go through a new process..............and, apart from the first pics of the plug that Andrew produced, and it is excellent, I'll now get down to it, and it may be a week or so before I post again and start the process of producing a split mould for the hull.

Just one more thing before I go away and get busy..........I will also be producing a set of moulds for the superstructure of the ship, and any other large part that will help the possible builder of future boats to a quicker easier build.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Crackin' Claws
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Oct 2012
1,145 Posts
STONECRAB is offline Find More Posts by STONECRAB
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
Joined Aug 2009
10,007 Posts
This will be a Really Big Model !!!

Double
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,851 Posts

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:47 AM
Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,494 Posts

Don is watching.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
59 inches long with ramps folded up.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,565 Posts
Looks good!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by init6
Joined Sep 2011
44 Posts
My oh my that takes me back. Can't wait to see the build of this one.
init6 is offline Find More Posts by init6
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
today I started by making the small plinths which will be moulded into and as part of the hull, and these were made from 6mm ply in the first instance.

They are actually not a scale part of the hull of the real ship but when moulded in, will give a flat base on which to put the flange ring of the Graupner VSPU , which in turn takes the actual unit.

also by lowering the position of the VSPU by giving it the extra depth it may alleviate the need to make a dummy piece of load where the motor part of the Vspu could protrude through the deck.

But then again a modification from brushed to brushless motor purely for size might have to be thought of later, before the deck goes on............either that or a longer belt for belt drive.

I have also faired down the two skegs as shown on the plans for better water flow to the Vspu's, and thus aiding better water flow.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
Glued the boss's onto the hull today, using polyester filler, did a little filling of a few small uneven bits to the plug, and sanded all down................and then I couldn't resist it..

Why build only one Calmac ferry when you can build two.

I bought this little landing craft look alike ay a car boot earlier this year for a fiver, and although it's a little twisted it's nothing that can't be straightened out in the build, and it is the same scale as the Jupiter..........so am going to build it as a little inter island ferry called Eigg
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
Well, after much personal upset in my life these past couple of months which has left me drained, and with little enthusiasm for anything much except moaning and groaning, I sat down today and thought, "what the hell, get a grip and sort something out............so decided to make a little headway on the smaller of my daughter's two Calmac ferries, the M V Eigg.

so I have chopped and changed the stern and the deck on the little hull I bought from the car boot, straightened it up a little as it had a twist in the stern and blocked it in somewhat to give a more square stern that the Eigg and sisters have..............a wee bit of filler is now needed and will be added tomorrow.

The larger Jupiter will have to wait a couple of months more until the hassles of separation have subsided and I can devote more time to modelling
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
Joined Aug 2009
10,007 Posts
Too Cool !

I like This one.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,483 Posts
cheers Tim,

neil.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,565 Posts
Good to see you can spend some time on the model.
She really is a cool ferry.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris