HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2003
22 Posts
been using HXT900's on mine for a while now, they seem to work well.
I did have a bad experience with Esky's on a Hummingbird! one blew up and caused a crash!
HXT900's are cheap as chips but surprisingly they seem to be fine so far!
simjen is offline Find More Posts by simjen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:17 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Spektrum is a brand name, and they don't make servos.

They might not actually make them , but they do sell them with their name on them.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Products/heliServos.aspx

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:20 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Looks like a huge waste of money for Chinese servos branded with Spektrum's brand name.

If I was going to pay $35 a servo I'm getting some Hyperion digital servos.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Last edited by Barak1001; Nov 07, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:43 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a huge waste of money for Chinese servos branded with Spektrum's brand name.

If I was going to pay $35 a servo I'm getting some Hyperion digital servos.
Well that may be true, but I have 10 flights on them, and they work flawless.

Much smoother than anything I have ever ran. I have around 6 helicopters from 450 to 550 size.

heres my running gear for my 450, I would reccomend it to anyone.

Spektrum DX7
3x Spektrum H3000 Sub-Micro Digital Heli Servo
GY-401 gyro
Futaba 9650 tail servo
Align brushless motor
Some cheesey 35amp esc thats going to be replaced by a 45amp e-flite esc.
Thunder Power 3s 11.1v 2600mah V2

I spend alot of money on my hardware, but it works. The more el' cheapo stuff I remove the better it works

I bought a HK500GT a while back, and it wasent anything to brag about. What plastic that was on it was brittle. Auto rotation gear didnt work...at all. Lots of scratches on the parts.
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:23 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I've got about 200 flights on my HS65-HB. I've got about 300 flights on an "el cheapo" EXI head and about 250 flights on an EXI tail. Spektrum and Horizon Hobby don't necessarily represent higher quality, though they do offer a warranty and are available on the phone stateside.

I'd say that a lot of the perceived increase in flight performance for different parts and electronics is a placebo effect. For instance I know quite a few people that will swear that Align motors are horrible, yet apparently your experience has not been the same. I've found that quite a few of the cheaper Chinese electronics are the exact same or better quality than name brand electronics.

I can tell you for a fact that there's no real difference in motor performance when using a HobbyKing SS ESC that costs $10.70 compared to a Castle Creations Phoenix 35a that costs $75 having owned both of them. Sure the Phoenix has more setup options and the ability to set a slower spool up rate, but in the end both of them push the motor exactly the same at 75% throttle.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:41 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,258 Posts
hey all!

ok went ta LHS 2day ta c if they had a brushed motor 4 my VNR,no joy

ok they had a trex 450 kit on the shelf, align trex 450sa, it has balstic main and tail. (havn't heard about this kit in all the forums I've read.

it was on sale at just under 220 bucks,I'm pretty shure it comes with everything but the reciever, and batt.

ok the Q is,sense its the plastic version,should I go with a clone,r get the trex with all the trex gear, 4 a few bucks more,and I assume with parts that will all work 2gether,without having ta guess!

thanks the KID!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:56 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,192 Posts
mishap yesterday

was doing some low inverted hovering and after that punched it straight up very high, an then let it rainbow forward like i use to do often, but at the top it suddenly went ape-sht, lost orientation and before i realized it was dug in the ground. it "landed" inverted right on the metal head. damage as far as i can see: broken servo horn on elevator (might be the cause), grip bearings, screw in grip snapped off, mainshaft, CF blade. turning on "brake"on the esc IS A GOOD IDEA!
This is the second time it saved me a maingear.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:54 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
turning on "brake"on the esc IS A GOOD IDEA!
This is the second time it saved me a maingear.
Hm. Interesting idea!

BTW Sorry about the mishap, but, I'm sure, it is all for the progress!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:49 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
hey all!

ok went ta LHS 2day ta c if they had a brushed motor 4 my VNR,no joy

ok they had a trex 450 kit on the shelf, align trex 450sa, it has balstic main and tail. (havn't heard about this kit in all the forums I've read.

it was on sale at just under 220 bucks,I'm pretty shure it comes with everything but the reciever, and batt.

ok the Q is,sense its the plastic version,should I go with a clone,r get the trex with all the trex gear, 4 a few bucks more,and I assume with parts that will all work 2gether,without having ta guess!

thanks the KID!
Dude!!! Forget the plastic version, go with the balsa wood framed 450!
It will take you a while to find one but its well worth it.. plz only report back after you fount it!

ps. Tell your big brother you need a whacking for abusing his RCgroups account
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:00 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,418 Posts
Maybe at least 1800 to go before getting concerned for wear ? If you could take the extra weight, I'll bet a set of HS-81's would last forever on the cyclic. They weigh about 16g each. So about 21g total over 9g servos.

Quote:
I've got about 200 flights on my HS65-HB. I've got about 300 flights on an "el cheapo" EXI head and about 250 flights on an EXI tail. Spektrum and Horizon Hobby don't necessarily represent higher quality, though they do offer a warranty and are available on the phone stateside.

I'd say that a lot of the perceived increase in flight performance for different parts and electronics is a placebo effect. For instance I know quite a few people that will swear that Align motors are horrible, yet apparently your experience has not been the same. I've found that quite a few of the cheaper Chinese electronics are the exact same or better quality than name brand electronics.

I can tell you for a fact that there's no real difference in motor performance when using a HobbyKing SS ESC that costs $10.70 compared to a Castle Creations Phoenix 35a that costs $75 having owned both of them. Sure the Phoenix has more setup options and the ability to set a slower spool up rate, but in the end both of them push the motor exactly the same at 75% throttle.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:54 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Dude!!! Forget the plastic version, go with the balsa wood framed 450!
It will take you a while to find one but its well worth it.. plz only report back after you fount it!

ps. Tell your big brother you need a whacking for abusing his RCgroups account
what is your prob! it was an honest Q
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:03 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Because grown ups generally don't use abbreviations constantly and tend to use better grammar.

I know of several forums where you'd have been banned simply for typing a sentence using "r" instead of "are" and "4" for "for".
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:17 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Quote:
Because grown ups generally don't use abbreviations constantly and tend to use better grammar.

I know of several forums where you'd have been banned simply for typing a sentence using "r" instead of "are" and "4" for "for".
I have to agree here, the post was really hard to read. If you expect people to spend energy on writing a response, I think its fair to expect you to expend the energy to write comprehensively.
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:36 AM
The art of airbrush
Österreich
Joined Jul 2010
83 Posts
Anybody seen this: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001040002 : 450 Kit for US$ 9.90
rcpaintworks is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintworks
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:27 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintworks View Post
Anybody seen this: http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001040002 : 450 Kit for US$ 9.90
its the plastic version without blades and canopy , same as HK but in green
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Closed Thread