HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2014, 07:40 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
The best us younger folks can do is build from plans since we were not old enough to build them when they were first kitted/in-print.

Here is my 1/2 size Smeed Courtesan.
Nicely built.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:06 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I've got a little stash of kits for old Electric planes. Currently have a Goldberg Mirage 550 that I'm about ready to cover. A Midwest Aerolectric with the fuselage built but haven't touched in a while. A Midwest Electric Hots. It's sitting around until someday I feel like it needs to fly. A couple miscelaneous kits. The marketing on the Goldberg Mirage regarding the power system is always interesting.

The Midwest Aerolectric was my first RC plane. It lasted for about a 2 second crash followed by a repair and second 2 second crash by my dad. I replaced it with a Goldberg Mirage and got help and it lived 7 or 8 years. I'm building the new Mirage right now to as close to the original color scheme as I can remember it being. My original was powered by the included motor, had 3 full size servos with one of them driving an on/off toggle switch for the motor and a 6 cell 1200mah Nicad and 4 cell 500mah RX battery. The new one will be an outrunner and lipos with 2 micros servos. It will weigh a ton a less. The original was a floater at it's heavy weight configuration already.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jan 04, 2014, 11:04 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,905 Posts
neat
is it a kit from Europe?
thanks for sharing
regards
Sam
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Jan 05, 2014, 04:54 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
guys bought a plan and cut balsa in pieces....
don't know how they glue it,should had no CA at the time???
. . .
Yes, I think there was much more scratch building then (pre-1970s ?); and lots of plans and construction articles in the popular magazines. Many of those are coming back on the internet and being rebuilt. Micro electric power and control allows the many great designs of earlier days fly like never before.

I think CA was available in the 1950s, but I'm not sure it was widely used in modeling. I used Ambroid on my first Guillows stick-and-tissue models.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:14 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,866 Posts
Built this Coverite Gee Bee around '84-'85, converted to electric about 5 years ago.
Knocked the firewall out in a crash (ail sevro horn malfunction ) about a year after that.
In the build queue for a complete rebuild as a "real" E-powered model.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:54 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
neat
is it a kit from Europe?
thanks for sharing
regards
Sam
No. They are all kits from USA companies. Nothing imported.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21