HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
233 Posts
Brynmr...Met a couple pretty serious slope hounds at Joe Nall this year. They both lived in Greenville SC which is pretty much next door if you are in Liberty SC. Remember they mentioned flying a lot at Jocassee Gorges Management Area
by Sunset, SC. You really don't need much of a gradient/slope to get airborne.
I had little to no difficulty flying my AH Odyssey 2.7 M off the sea wall in the pic and the Skua 1.5 was a joy. I find their email address I'll forward it.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:52 AM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
319 Posts
Awesome! I'll look up Jocassee Gorges. I'm new to the area. Yeah, pass along the email addy if you find it. Thanks CG.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
Old Yesterday, 02:32 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Capt Gary... DLG that is funny Actually, I was seriously wanting one until my ticker put me in the hospital less than a year ago. That small hill in the pic just in front of the road seems to be perfect with a westerly wind to keep our larger sailplanes from landing sometimes. But even though I'm doing much better these days, but I'm afraid if I tried swinging around a DLG now, the next pic would include my chalk outline with a Tx setting next to it. I'm even thinking about going back to motorized gliders cause they are so much easier to launch. Sometimes my flying site can be awesome to fly from. I've had other gliders get sucked into thermals that made me think I would never see it again. The other day was just my first time of getting a non-motorized Thermic over 10 minutes with a HS. I think I could do better but time will tell.

Last year my flying buddy got a $10 foam throw glider and put servos on it and then we towed it up with my T-28. We got long flight times with it and giggled our butts off just trying out towing for the first time. Towing allowed us to release higher up too. He doesn't get out here as often as he would like so we haven't done any towing lately but the subject came up again the other day cause we had so much fun.

We were having so much fun my wife had to remind me to breath during the flight! lol
glider tow m1 (1 min 0 sec)
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
233 Posts
RCBlackSheep...Any heart condition issue totally bites. Been there and done that. Grounded my butt for about a year. Absolutely nothing positive to say about the experience except I'm still here. Do stay away from the chalk outline scenario.
It takes time to heal... give yourself that time.
I've purposelessly stayed away from DLG , though a malicious intending friend just sent me a Dream Flight Libelle DLG kit, since there is such a small window to fly them here.
I'd bet using a "Tug" or tow plane, wild vid, may be the hot setup there if you want to stay away from E powered planes. Only hassle ya need another person to fly.
Here, coastal SC, powered sailplanes make total sense just from a survivability standpoint, I lost 2 non-powered planes till I wised up, and weight isn't a issue.
Maybe a AH Odyssey-EC 2.7M or something a bit smaller/lighter might be the ticket, and make it a bit easier, to get where the action is?
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
920 Posts
I'll admit that I've cross-posted this same request in the DX9 thread, and should I get a reply either here or there I'll make that clear. But here it is: I have a Sky EV 2m just about ready to fly. Have the radio almost sorted out, but if anybody can point me in the right direction for getting the spoileron function to work on a DX9, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

EDIT: Got it, sorta. Switch to an "Airplane" type rather than a "Sailplane" type and then you get the Flap menu back. Select a two-servo-two-aileron wing type, go the the flap menu, and away you go. Still like to find a way to do it with a Sailplane type, though . . .
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Last edited by Xeric; Yesterday at 10:47 PM.
Old Today, 12:28 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Thanks for the advise Capt Gary. I have been taking it easy. Little by little more each day. When I've had enough, I take a break. (sometimes a nap) The Tug/tow dance does take 2...
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep