Joined May 2011
532 Posts
My newest tilt rotor has the rough cost
2x 24g motors $8.50
2x 939 $4.37
1300mAh battery $5.50
2x ESC $6.50
2x Tilt mech, $7.00

All together, those equate to $58.24. Not bad. I have a super cheap FC that I made (~$20), and add in some other stuff, and I'd say that total I'm safely under $100 all in.

Extra motors and ESCs would add considerable cost.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Show me photos !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwleveck View Post
One small motor for forward and one larger motor for hover. Don't use the larger for very long, then the smaller is ultra efficient. No additional drag from hover props because they are buried in the wing. They don't create drag in forward flight.
Sounds kewl and interesting. Can we see some photos ???
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Jun 14, 2013, 06:55 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
24 Posts
My newer, cooler, updated so I could show off airframe looks awesome but turned out to be a HUGE step backward. Something about the aerodynamics changed BIGTIME when I tried to close things up. All is well as long as I keep things moving or accelerating, its when I try to slow down that everything goes nucking futs.
I had at one point published some pics on another site and drew the ire of so many guys and their "constructive critisisms" that I literally left the site w my vtail between my booms. Ill post up a couple of evolutionary pics and maybe a quick video from the salad days of flying the middle version that worked and let me spend months just flying for fun. Would be interested in some fresh, opinions. I have been working on this design for something like 20 years and technology, materials, time, and even money have finally come together to finish it. Maybe.
cwleveck is offline Find More Posts by cwleveck
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Any updates?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:06 AM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
My work has me swamped for the next month. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to pick it up again. I'm ready to test out my new quaternion based attitude estimation, but just don't have the time right now. It's killing me!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilektron View Post
My work has me swamped for the next month. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be able to pick it up again. I'm ready to test out my new quaternion based attitude estimation, but just don't have the time right now. It's killing me!
May I ask what is a "quaternion based attitude estimation"?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,728 Posts
Hmm, I presume it's a method to estimate attitude by integrating inertial platform data via accumulation of quaternion transforms, if the quaternions mentioned are the same used in animation data in 3D software. Essentially a quaternion is a way to represent a rotation around an axis by defining the axis ( I think as a vector with origin 0 pointing pointing towards a set of x, y and z coordinates, like a normal, but its length is not important in this application) and a rotation from the original position (I believe the most used standards define the rotation as an amount in radians, positive if clockwise when seen from the origin of the rotation vector, negative otherwise). The advantage of a quaternion when compared to a simple matrix transform is that it allows for accumulating rotations greater than 360 without ambiguity as to the rotation direction, and makes it possible to interpolate intermediate steps between animation keyframes. The disadvantage is that it only stores rotation data, no translation data or scale data.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Interesting and Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
Hmm, I presume it's a method to estimate attitude by integrating inertial platform data via accumulation of quaternion transforms, if the quaternions mentioned are the same used in animation data in 3D software. Essentially a quaternion is a way to represent a rotation around an axis by defining the axis ( I think as a vector with origin 0 pointing pointing towards a set of x, y and z coordinates, like a normal, but its length is not important in this application) and a rotation from the original position (I believe the most used standards define the rotation as an amount in radians, positive if clockwise when seen from the origin of the rotation vector, negative otherwise). The advantage of a quaternion when compared to a simple matrix transform is that it allows for accumulating rotations greater than 360 without ambiguity as to the rotation direction, and makes it possible to interpolate intermediate steps between animation keyframes. The disadvantage is that it only stores rotation data, no translation data or scale data.
Well put. In the terms of attitude estimation, it actually can require less computational power than DCM (direct cosine matrix). And that ambiguity in a DCM can cause gimbal lock, which can render an aircraft uncontrollable.