HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:44 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
301 Posts
Discussion
Been watching MANY planes go down...

... and I was wondering about this (I'm sure already thought of) idea.

In the last 3 weeks I've probably watched 7 to 8 thousand dollars of aircraft crash, and that's just with a few guys at the park.

My thought is this. Why not have under the rear of the plane a small explosive charge. Maybe about the size of a C battery with a parachute in it. It wouldn't have to weigh much, or really cost much. When you lose control or have a failure, flip a switch blowing the chute out the back.

Obviously you wouldn't put one on a foamy or a $200 plane, but these $500+ planes could be saved!!

Why hasn't this been done? Please don't make fun of me, I'm new and curious..
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:54 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
Honestly - most R/C I've seen go down is lack of judgement on the pilot side or failure to check out the craft before flight. - not sure how adding another switch would help as pilots I've seen think they are in control when they are not.

Pure comment - my thought is that this is revenge from video games and movies and a mentality of always flying on the boundries of your experiance.

(sorry my age is kicking in)
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:08 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
206 Posts
I have also heard it is due to certain crafts having their entire fuselage made out of Satellite receivers

Joking.

Such a system would be quite easy I believe.

Essentially you would be reading the LED from the Rx and when it goes red you would trigger a current completion at the ammonia charge.. Done
ZSimon is offline Find More Posts by ZSimon
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:12 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
301 Posts
The lack of judgement I totally agree... but yesterday this happened....

"Crap... Guys.... I have no control" ---- "No elevator!!!!"

we all watched as this plane flew on and slowly dipped only to crash (actually close to people) in a baseball diamond a few hundred yards away. Then in would have worked and saved a $1000 plane. But you're right many cases it wouldn't. I also think it'd give guys like me a LITTLE more confidence to fly the "next step" plane...
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:16 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
206 Posts
In this hobby, you have to remember 'You get what you pay for' & 'Value it!!'

As someone mentioned,
don't go putting a OrangeRx clone Futaba FASST in a 700$ plane.
read manufacturer specs, don't be scared to ask questions. Manufacturers WILL reply to you with very nice info and specs.
if a system is working for you, just stick with it!
ALWAYS check servo horns and peripherals for wear.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:29 PM
Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
Joined Mar 2000
829 Posts
"don't go putting a OrangeRx clone Futaba FASST in a 700$ plane."

Why not? Do they have a bad reputation?

Sure, you may feel better with the $100+ Futaba receiver, but I have not seen or heard of problems with the Orange ones.
Philipp is offline Find More Posts by Philipp
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:48 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Everybody crashes, no matter what color their receiver is.

Here is a FS parachute save...

Real Aircraft Loses Wing, Lands Safely (Under Canopy) (1 min 34 sec)
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp View Post
"don't go putting a OrangeRx clone Futaba FASST in a 700$ plane."

Why not? Do they have a bad reputation?

Sure, you may feel better with the $100+ Futaba receiver, but I have not seen or heard of problems with the Orange ones.
FrSky FASST compatible receiver vs Genuine Futaba receiver test #1 (1 min 16 sec)

OrangeRX/FrSky have some issue with multiple freq types in the same area.

edit: I should also put that OrangeRx maxes at 1.2kM ~ while original Futaba Rx is maxing at sometimes 3.8~4.3kM
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
It has been done on an RC quad copter before at least. Just so you know.

6 Foot Chute Test 11-1-2008 - Stacey Clark (0 min 53 sec)

For some aircraft it isn't a terrible idea, but the systems you have to build to do it are fairly complex. Failure in sport is normally too fast to react to, so I really only see it as functional for the FPV crowd or maybe some of the scale guys.

When I say complex ... what I mean is that you have to set up a charge, or a servo to release the chute. With model rockets it's a little different because the charge that sets off the chute is included in the engine and it just goes off when the fuel runs out.
Darker4308 is offline Find More Posts by Darker4308
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker4308 View Post
When I say complex ... what I mean is that you have to set up a charge, or a servo to release the chute. With model rockets it's a little different because the charge that sets off the chute is included in the engine and it just goes off when the fuel runs out.
I wonder if you can marry the function to some kind of RSSI?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:15 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
I have 30 some odd planes and I fly a lot. I have only ever had one crash that wasn't due to pilot error. What you want do do is possible but it's the loose nut behind the sticks that is at fault most of the time.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
Hi,

I think the problem would be that most crashes happen too fast to have enough time to react and flip the switch, push the button, etc. Usually you have just enough time to say, "Oh ^%$#!!!! before it's too late........

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:11 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCzsEEEnGA

OrangeRX/FrSky have some issue with multiple freq types in the same area.

edit: I should also put that OrangeRx maxes at 1.2kM ~ while original Futaba Rx is maxing at sometimes 3.8~4.3kM
So how many people fly with 2 transmitters in their plane and continually reboot their Tx until the system fails?

I noted this problem when the Orange FAAST receivers fist came out, but I have never had a problem with them in normal use. On a busy day at my club there can be several 2.4 GHz in use, in close proximity to my planes when I power up and I have never had an issue.

RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Last edited by RobC(UK); Sep 10, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:32 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinfred View Post
The lack of judgement I totally agree... but yesterday this happened....

"Crap... Guys.... I have no control" ---- "No elevator!!!!"

we all watched as this plane flew on and slowly dipped only to crash (actually close to people) in a baseball diamond a few hundred yards away. Then in would have worked and saved a $1000 plane. But you're right many cases it wouldn't. I also think it'd give guys like me a LITTLE more confidence to fly the "next step" plane...
But, would it have worked in that situation? He didn't have control, so presumably his radio wasn't working and he wouldn't have been able to trigger the chute.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
The times I would have needed this is when headed down 20' off the ground after an elevator horn pulled. Or when my aileron failed full up 20' off the ground. AR6100 brownout a few times.

With helis, you have the throttle hold, but on planes it's like WT waggle stick, don't remember about the channel 11 toggle because it never happens.

I agree there is a market for it, but there is the weight & unknown aspect if it will work anyway. It seems that it would be just for fly-aways flying level on larger aircraft that may fail next week or 5 years from now.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777