HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by CyberJay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:49 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,010 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 69.5" Toledo Special

I love my Taylorcraft, but I wanted something a little larger. I love my Monocoupe, but it will not fit in my truck without taking the wings off, which means I can't make a "quick" run to the field. Hopefully the Toledo Special is the solution. It's about the biggest wingspan I can put in the bed in one piece.

Modifications from the instructions include: Oak standoffs(that replace the stock metal ones) to move the motor away from the firewall an additional 15mm since the Turnigy is shorter than the Power 46. I cut a hole in the underside of the cowl for an air inlet. I left the port rear window out for air exhaust. I added 1/2oz of lead to the tail to get it to balance with the huge battery. I also put regular socket head cap screws on the wing instead of the nylon bolts.

I recently picked up the Hangar 9 40 size floats, this is my first float plane. I really like flying from water.

AUW Land: 6lbs 10oz.
AUW Water: 8lbs 5oz.

Static test:
1200 watts with a 14x8 prop
900 watts with a 13x8 prop (what I use)

Hangar 9:
Toledo Special
40 size wood floats

Turnigy:
AerodriveXp SK 42-50 650Kv outrunner
Plush 80A ESC
13x8 beechwood light electric prop

Zippy:
Flightmax 5s1p 5000mah 35c lipo

Futaba:
T12FGA transmitter
R617FS receiver
(3) S3151 standard servos (ailerons and elevator)
(1) S3003 standard servo (water rudder)

HiTech:
(1) HS-645MG servo (rudder)

Morgan Mill RC:
12" Grasslander main skis on spare landing gear
6" Grasslander tail ski
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Last edited by CyberJay; Feb 04, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 09:11 AM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Sure is a great looking bird...it is on my wishlist. I receently bought one if the older H9 Taylorcraft, 85.5 inches....one piece wing. Not easy to transport, but a beauty in the air. It was already outfitted with the Zenoah, so I dont feel like going through the trouble of electrifying it.

So what would fill that big plane electric void better than the Toledo Special??? Well as far as I am concerned....nothing. Warbirds are cool, but with our group out here, they are a dime a dozen. Why the oak over the metal mount? Why the hi-tourque servo, ONLY on the rudder? How much flight time are you getting on the 5000 MaH batts? Any other lessons learned that you can pass on? I hate lots of modification though.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:35 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91 View Post
Sure is a great looking bird...it is on my wishlist. I receently bought one if the older H9 Taylorcraft, 85.5 inches....one piece wing. Not easy to transport, but a beauty in the air. It was already outfitted with the Zenoah, so I dont feel like going through the trouble of electrifying it.

So what would fill that big plane electric void better than the Toledo Special??? Well as far as I am concerned....nothing. Warbirds are cool, but with our group out here, they are a dime a dozen. Why the oak over the metal mount? Why the hi-tourque servo, ONLY on the rudder? How much flight time are you getting on the 5000 MaH batts? Any other lessons learned that you can pass on? I hate lots of modification though.
Let's see...

1st, I love that big TC.. I love my little TC and I really want the new big one. But I don't take my Monocoupe out much because it's hard to transport and the big TC would be the same deal. This Toledo is great because it fits in the bed in one piece. Plane, transmitter box, and bag of lipos and I can run to the field real quick after work for a couple flights. Love it.

Now the answers...

Oak motor mounts because that is what I can fabricate on my own. The cowl is pre-drilled so you have to move the motor into position for the spinner to line up. The stock metal mounts would have put the motor like 13mm too far back. So rather than add a bunch of washers I just made new mounts. They're pretty easy once you get a plan on how to run the drill press.

As for the servos.. I had three of the 3151s left over from my T7CHP that I bought in 2005.. never used them for anything. I also had a spare 645MG from an old rock crawler project. I figured the metal gears on the rudder would make sense in case I snagged the tail wheel on some tall grass or something. Just trying to make the best use of what I had laying around.

Flight time is somewhat unknown at this point. I've only had it up about 6 times so far due to poor weather. I have my timer set at 10 minutes and I'm putting around 2800mah back in my 5000mah pack. That's with fairly aggressive flying. Geez, I'd hate to speculate but I bet I could do 30 minutes of 40% throttle putting around. But honestly, 10-12 minutes is about as long as I want to fly. By that time I've done every maneuver I can think of and probably a dozen touch and goes so I'm ready to land and go back to the conversation with the guys in the pits.

This plane is an easy build, no mods are necessary if you're going to stick with the recommended gear. Although I do think you should make an air intake in the cowl, regardless of what Horizon says your electronics will do better with some airflow over them.

-Jay
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
How are the oak dowels attached to the fire wall? Were you able to get in there with screws? Sorry, just havent seen one in persson yet, so I have no clue what to expect as far as room on the inside.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:50 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,010 Posts
The dowels have a hole drilled through them with a drill press. They have 3" long machine screws running all the way through them and into blind nuts in the firewall exactly like the stock metal motor standoffs would mount. They're basically just big spacers.

I popped all of the blind nuts out of the firewall except for one(which has structure behind it). I reused 4 of them in my new holes that I had to drill.

-Jay
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
AAAAAh, I understand. Thanks Jay, Aaron