Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by ydaddyk
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
Discussion
AR500 not working?

Hi all.

I just bought a new parkzone radian blank fuselage and have transferred all the components from my original radian.

So I turn on the DX5E radio, plug in the new parkzone lipo (charged) and get the first beep followed by the three beeps. However I don't get the following connection beeps.

On the AR500 rx I get a super quick flash of light when I first connect the battery but there are no more lights at all..

Have the battery plugged into the ESC which then plugs into the throttle port on the AR500. Have the rudder and elevators plugged into their named ports. .

Any ideas what could be wrong? Everything was working in the old radian so I shouldn't have to rebind. Note, I don't have the bind plug anymore.

Also the throttle and trim are set all the way down. (Mode 1)

Thanks
ydaddyk is offline Find More Posts by ydaddyk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,038 Posts
Check the orientation of the plugs into the rx. You could have it backwards, or you might not have the bind plug in the right one. A photo would help.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:29 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
Thanks. I have attached a few photos. Have the esc and rx out of the plane to take a closer look. No servos attached at the moment.

Plugs are in the right way round with the green earth on the inside and he brown negative on the outside.

As soon as I connect the battery I get a really quick red light flash in the AR500. Then the first beep followed by the next three.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:30 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
P.s. I don't have a bind plug. Lost it years ago. Presume the Tx is already bound to the rx as I only just need them from one fuselage to the other.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,038 Posts
Bad assumption. The transmitter has a different bind code for each model ("Model Match"). You have to bind it to the new model.

A bind plug simply shorts the negative (brown) to the signal (yellow).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,127 Posts
Did a crash cause the need for a new fuselage? if so its possible that either your motor or ESC is bad..... or even the receiver.... time to do some testing to find out which is your problem.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:12 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
Thanks Andy.

But every single part is exactly the same. All I did was take the AR500, ESC, motor, battery and servos out of one fuselage and put them into another.

How could I lose binding doing that?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:20 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Did a crash cause the need for a new fuselage? if so its possible that either your motor or ESC is bad..... or even the receiver.... time to do some testing to find out which is your problem.

Bit of a crash but everything still ran afterwards. Got a new fuse because the old one had warped.

Any suggestions on the testing to be done? And how?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:51 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydaddyk View Post
Thanks Andy.

But every single part is exactly the same. All I did was take the AR500, ESC, motor, battery and servos out of one fuselage and put them into another.

How could I lose binding doing that?
So you didn't select a different model? Nothing then.

But it could have been damage to the AR500 internally.

I suggest you contact Product Service, tell them your AR500 isn't working, and let them take care of you. Probably won't cost you more than $5 to send it in.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,993 Posts
Andy,

He has a DX5e so no model memories involved.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydaddyk View Post
Bit of a crash but everything still ran afterwards. Got a new fuse because the old one had warped.

Any suggestions on the testing to be done? And how?
is this the plane you crashed back in 2011? (I clicked your "recent posts" button) IF so, how has it been stored all this time..... if its been in an attic or garage for 3-4 years, the temperature cycles could have wreaked havoc on any part of it...

Anyway, for testing, you will need a known good motor, ESC, and and receiver, so you can replaced them one at a time to see which one makes the difference....

Alternatively, you can use a receiver pack to test the receiver....

However, I just had a thought... how sure are you that the transmitter is good? IF you power a spektrum receiver with the transmitter off, you will get exactly what you described, one quick flash of the orange LED, and beeping from the ESC, and then nothing from the receiver, until it connects to the transmitter, at which point it will go solid orange...

Could be as simple as just needing new batteries in the transmitter....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:05 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
Yep its the same plane that crashed oh so long ago.

Used it a couple of weeks ago and it ran just fine. But due to the warped fuse I thought I would spruce it up.

I have put new batteries in the transmitter and it shows full bars. I did open it to have a look for the mode switch but didn't get very far so closed it up again. Perhaps I have made something loose in there.. Will reopen and have a look.

Unfortunately I don't have spare parts to do tests. If nothing else I guess I will send it back to the store for a replacement RX.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:21 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2009
42 Posts
SOLVED: The TX and RX needed rebinding for some reason.

Thanks for all your help. I really should have tried this first but I didn't have a bind plug.

I got a paperclip and jammed two ends into the RX. Worked like a charm.

Now to crash my new fuselage. Thanks again for replying.