New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2014, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by gcarmich
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
Discussion
ESC control on GEAR with digital switch

I have a Talon 90 ESC that I need to control using the 3-position "G" switch on my new DX6 transmitter mapped to the GEAR port on the AR610 receiver. I need the Talon ESC to operate at 0%, 33%, 66% for each of the three switch positions. I want to use a separate ESC/Battery/Motor for THROTTLE. Can I use two ESC/Battery/Motor setups on a single AR610 receiver at the same time?
gcarmich is offline Find More Posts by gcarmich
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,831 Posts
You can easily setup the radio for it but the problem is Failsafe on that channel, it would only HOLD LAST COMMAND so depending on what you're doing with your scone esc setup this may be an issues.

Assign your switch in the second screen of the channel assignment menu and then access the digital switch setup and set the position value you want for each of he switch positions.

Just be warm of the Failsafe condition of that channel when using esc on another channel than throttle channel.

A Preset Failsafe receiver would be recommended when using a dual esc setup when the scone esc is on its own channel.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 07, 2014, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,227 Posts
From the point of view of the receiver signals an ESC just looks like another servo. So that's no problem.

However you don't want 2 BECs trying to provide power at the same time so if both ESCs have a BEC it would be as well to disconnect one of them.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 07, 2014, 11:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,831 Posts
It's a problem if signal is lost and the throttle channel goes to Low Throttle position set during binding but the other channel the other esc would be connected in would simply hold last command if that was anything above low throttle position this could be a "problem"
Old Sep 08, 2014, 06:21 AM
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
When I plug the Talon 90 into the GEAR port on the receiver and connect the battery with the transmitter on, the Talon's LED flashes red indicating a "Low Voltage Cutoff" . When I do the same while the Talon is plugged into the THROTTLE port, everything works as expected and the LED is not illuminated. Do I need to reprogram the "Low Voltage Cutoff" level or setting? Does the ESC interact with the THROTTLE differently than it does with the GEAR port?
Old Sep 08, 2014, 06:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,831 Posts
Is the Gear Channel setup the same as Throttle Channel ?

It shouldn't matter normally.....
Old Sep 08, 2014, 07:07 AM
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
Are there any particular settings I should look at? I went thought the settings and from what I can tell they are the same except that the Throttle's lowest setting is -99% and the GEAR's lowest setting is 0%.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 08:09 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,831 Posts
You should have it setup so it's lowest setting is -100% like the throttle channel...

What are you using the second ESC on the gear channel for? If you provide details the answers you will get will have better info/details.

If it's not seeing -100% it's most likely why it's not arming.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
Ahhh. I was thinking the less than 0 would put the motor in reverse but that doesn't make sense. I'll make the adjustment. The second ESC (Talon connected to GEAR) is for the lift fan on a large scale hovercraft. The lift fan will not require in-flight adjustment and therefore I can use the 3 position switch (basically off, low, high). The Throttle will operate the propulsion and needs to be variable in-flight.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:01 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,831 Posts
Ok and yes since this is an AIR ESC the Off channel position should be -100%
Old Sep 09, 2014, 07:02 AM
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
Success! Thank you. Reducing the GEAR off position to -100% worked. The 33% and 66% seemed to run the motor at full speed so I ended up reducing them to -75% and -60%. Everything is working as I had hoped it would. Since I'm not operating an aircraft, is the two BEC concern irrelevant?
Old Sep 09, 2014, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarmich View Post
Since I'm not operating an aircraft, is the two BEC concern irrelevant?
Since I assume you're operating a single receiver, no it isn't. The problem is two BECs trying to feed power to a single device...nothing to do with whether it's in an aircraft or not .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:54 AM
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
I was thinking the BECs played a role in low voltage throttle cutout so that a pilot didn't lose control of the aircraft in-flight if the battery started to degrade. I have two ESCs - one powered by an 8.4v battery and the other by a 22.2v battery. Don't the ESCs feed power to the receiver in parallel, equivalent voltage? What is the potential impact of using two BECs to feed a single reciever?
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:58 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
25,831 Posts
In the case of a Switching Bec, the rapid On/Off switching from one Bec will be fighting with the other. (Not Good)

Some exceptions exists BUT best not to mess around with it. Remove one of the ESC's red wire from the servo lead.

Here's what my Castle Creation manufacturer has to say about it.
Quote:
Can the CC BECs be run in parallel for very high current applications? - No, switching regulators like the CC BEC will fight each other if used in parallel. A separate component is needed to isolate them from each other.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2013
12 Posts
Good. Thanks. I will remove one of the red wires.