New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 03:14 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieqc View Post
I have a new X4R receiver the standard 4 channel not using sbus or anything else and I hooked up to a crack yak with digital servos and the servos went nuts and now they don't work anymore. If I hook it up to a ds821 it will work. I know the other servos are probable fried. My question is 1. why did they fry and 2. I'm bought another set of digital servos for it is there anything special I have to do with reciever so I don't fry another set.
Strange, I would check that you have not got the s.bus version by mistake but even then I would only expect one CH to be effected.
Not heard anyone else have this happen,
Supply volts worth checking for polarity and volts.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by lexm
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2010
601 Posts
CPPM on X4R

From the FrSky forum here:-
http://www.frsky-rc.com/BBS/viewtopi...4fa07357cdcc13

X4R CPPM output
Postby Xu@Frsky 2015-03-09 3:41

Hi, All FrSky customers, we plan to make a firmware for cppm output of X4R, how to allocate physical channel and make full use of all channels? we are looking forward to your suggestions. Please post your thoughts here, Thanks!

Here's your chance to have a say.
lexm is offline Find More Posts by lexm
Old Mar 10, 2015, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by mpjf01
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,940 Posts
I looked at the thread linked to. What are S1, S2, S3, S4 referred to in several posts? My Rx don't have actual jumpers, S1 through S4 would normally refer to signal channels, but if so, how can these pins also be simultaneously used for outputs?

Is the proposal for a new receiver design with jumpers, or a firmware change for current receivers?
mpjf01 is online now Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by lexm
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2010
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
I looked at the thread linked to. What are S1, S2, S3, S4 referred to in several posts? My Rx don't have actual jumpers, S1 through S4 would normally refer to signal channels, but if so, how can these pins also be simultaneously used for outputs?
Jumper on channels when binding and then removed, like done when binding different modes on X8R. Not like a D4R where the jumper remains for CPPM mode.

Quote:
Is the proposal for a new receiver design with jumpers, or a firmware change for current receivers?
Don't know. Ask Frsky.
lexm is offline Find More Posts by lexm
Last edited by lexm; Mar 10, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by jlipscomb
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
33 Posts
Using X8R to run Strobon switch/LED's ?

Hello everyone.

Can the X8R handle a 5vdc output on one of it's free channels to run this device?
http://www.flytron.com/led-systems/3...ipes-pack.html

Specific information on the Strobon controller and power requirements are here:
http://www.flytron.com/led-systems/2...ontroller.html

I know the X8R can output 5vdc, but what worries me is the current consumption spec:
50mA - 1A depends pattern and power level

I've done some digging on top of reading the X8R PDF, but I'm still unclear if the Rx can handle a 1A current draw. Could someone please advise? Thanks!
jlipscomb is offline Find More Posts by jlipscomb
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by Tomkfly
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipscomb View Post
Hello everyone.

Can the X8R handle a 5vdc output on one of it's free channels to run this device?
http://www.flytron.com/led-systems/3...ipes-pack.html

Specific information on the Strobon controller and power requirements are here:
http://www.flytron.com/led-systems/2...ontroller.html

I know the X8R can output 5vdc, but what worries me is the current consumption spec:
50mA - 1A depends pattern and power level

I've done some digging on top of reading the X8R PDF, but I'm still unclear if the Rx can handle a 1A current draw. Could someone please advise? Thanks!
The Rx should be able to handle 1 amp depending on what the servos are pulling, but to make sure you could feed the 5volts directly to the + and - contacts on the unit from the Rx battery, so the Rx would only be handling the signal power. I do this with my Sbus as 16 servos would be too much for the RX power bus.

Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:02 PM
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly View Post
The Rx should be able to handle 1 amp depending on what the servos are pulling, but to make sure you could feed the 5volts directly to the + and - contacts on the unit from the Rx battery, so the Rx would only be handling the signal power. I do this with my Sbus as 16 servos would be too much for the RX power bus.
Tom
Hey Tom. Well the Rx in this case would be installed in a F550 hex, with Naza-M V2. hardware. So the Rx picks up it's power from the PMU which in this case warns that it's only happy with a continuous output of 3A@5V. Since the PMU is powering other components like the GPS system, I'm left feeling there may not be much headroom left over for the Rx should I pull full spec (ie, 1A).

I have considered adding a 5v, 3A BEC to supply the Strobon controller directly, and then running the signal wire to the Rx to control from my Taranis. Is that sorta what you meant?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by Tomkfly
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipscomb View Post
Hey Tom. Well the Rx in this case would be installed in a F550 hex, with Naza-M V2. hardware. So the Rx picks up it's power from the PMU which in this case warns that it's only happy with a continuous output of 3A@5V. Since the PMU is powering other components like the GPS system, I'm left feeling there may not be much headroom left over for the Rx should I pull full spec (ie, 1A).

I have considered adding a 5v, 3A BEC to supply the Strobon controller directly, and then running the signal wire to the Rx to control from my Taranis. Is that sorta what you meant?
You can do it that way, but you also have to connect the -ve wire to the Rx

Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Old Mar 13, 2015, 03:24 AM
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly View Post
You can do it that way, but you also have to connect the -ve wire to the Rx
Tom
Ah yes. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph
SirEdward
Philippines, NCR, Pateros
Joined Apr 2004
706 Posts
I don't usually cross post but this might be a safety concern.

Quote:
Just a heads up to everyone and a shout out to Frsky.

A fellow was having an issue with his X8R rx going on and off intermittently until he opened the case and found out that some pins were not soldered at all.

As with all other mass produced product no one knows when will you get a dud item. "Expensive" "High Quality" "Top brand" products have one way or the other suffered from QC issues and this brand is no exception.

I still very much like my Frsky goodies though.
blimppilot@ph is online now Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,555 Posts
Don't panic unnecessarily.

I may be wrong - but I if recall correctly that is not a fault. Those pins do nothing. They have just used 3 pin headers to make a single connection.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:13 AM
Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph
SirEdward
Philippines, NCR, Pateros
Joined Apr 2004
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Don't panic unnecessarily.

I may be wrong - but I if recall correctly that is not a fault. Those pins do nothing. They have just used 3 pin headers to make a single connection.
Well sorry to bust you out but you are wrong. One is SBUS port and the other is RSSI... and if you are using sbus you might be in for a big surprise while in flight
blimppilot@ph is online now Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,555 Posts
Ah, you are correct. I should have paid more attention to which pins they were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimppilot@ph View Post
Well sorry to bust you out but you are wrong. One is SBUS port and the other is RSSI... and if you are using sbus you might be in for a big surprise while in flight
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604