New Products Flash Sale

Durafly HyperBipe

EPO Foamy is great for F3A Pattern or Sport Flying.

Splash

Believe the Hype!

Durafly recently released their newest bi-plane design, the HyperBipe. This model is built with EPO foam making it very durable, but it's also constructed in a way to keep it light. It's colorful and the lines look good, but it's not just about the looks that make a great model. It has to fly well too. The HyperBipe is capable of precision aerobatics and is great for practising your F3A routine. It will feel like it's on rails. It's also equally at home sport flying. The power system provides unlimited vertical and great speed as well.

HyperBipe is offered in Plug and Fly and ARF versions. The PNF version comes with everything except a radio system and battery and the ARF version comes with only the motor. Hobby King sent us a review kit that we are working on right now so look for our full review on RCGroups.com soon. [HobbyKing]

Specs

• Wingspan: 900mm
  • Length: 900mm
  • Flying Weight: 610~640g including battery
  • Motor: 2212 1400kv brushless outrunner
  • ESC: 30A w/BEC
  • Servos: 4 x 9g micro servos
  • Prop Size: 9 x 3.8

Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Bajora
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,958 Posts
Got an ARF inbound!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by stevespana
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
575 Posts
Well.........

..............I have one of these on my wish list but that's probably the worst product video I've seen in a while!

Too many quick cuts and awful music.

Sorry, but for me, doesn't cut it.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Dec 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by sirpercy
United States, IN, Noblesville
Joined Sep 2013
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
Well.........

..............I have one of these on my wish list but that's probably the worst product video I've seen in a while!

Too many quick cuts and awful music.

Sorry, but for me, doesn't cut it.

Steve.
agreed
sirpercy is offline Find More Posts by sirpercy
Old Dec 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by RCAV8R13
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
White Salmon, Wa
Joined Oct 2003
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpercy View Post
agreed
Me too. That pilot sucked, they can do better then that.
RCAV8R13 is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8R13
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by imodel
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
946 Posts
Totally agree about the video - just awful! Cool plane though!

R
imodel is online now Find More Posts by imodel
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by porcia83
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel View Post
Totally agree about the video - just awful! Cool plane though!

R
bi-plane bash worthy !!!!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:14 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,958 Posts

I was excited to grab one of these new DuraFly bipes ...am I wrong or is this the first non warbird themed DuraFly airplane? My ARF arrived yesterday. Poor thing spent the night out on the front porch, as Brown forgot to ring the doorbell or knock?

In any event, I was excited to get into the box and banged out a few studio shots to share with the groups. The colors are vibrant! Even the box features the same eye-popping graphics! Every color in every rainbow ever seen or imagined! Ever! DuraFly used a "tray" style packing method ... all components were nestled in slots cut into a foam tray.

But right off the bat, I had two words pop into my brain: Minwax Polycrylic. DuraFly commendably went to every effort to protect the graphics from getting marred while in transit, using pieces of waxy feeling stock to protect the edges, corners and colored portions of all components. For the most part, mine came out of the box in fine shape. However, there were a few places were the strips of masking tape used to help secure the components in the tray managed to contact the paint and pull a little off. I think the best course of action, to preserve the cool graphics and prevent hangar rash and routine handling from further marring them, will be to airbrush a few coats of WBPU over them. I wonder why manufacturers cannot just do something similar as a final step of the graphics application process? DuraFly?

Another observation is that the control horns are very reminiscent of the ones used in Multiplex kits. And I like them! Other items also remind me of Multiplex kits ... the foam spinner being one thing. I also really like the foam aileron servo fairings. Nice!

The ARF version includes a brushless "black beauty" outrunner but does not include the ESC or servos. I plan to use a Castle Creations Thunderbird 36 and four Hextronik HXT900 servos. Or, perhaps this cool looking bipe is worthy of an upgrade to some Hitec HS65MG servos?

Another thumbs up is in order for the assembly manual. I have built more than a few DuraFly kits and the assembly manuals for the most part have been just plain bad (fortunately, assembly of most of the models can be done sans instructions). This one is a quantum leap forward for DuraFly! It feautures color graphics and illustrations that use CAD-esque looking images of the airframe and components.

I look forward to getting this looker assembled and in the air ASAP! Here are a few more studio shots showing the DuraFly HyperBipe out of the box:

Last edited by Bajora; Dec 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by Mikbaci
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
157 Posts
I just ordered one today and it will be here in 2 days...
Dod you fly yours yet?
Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Dec 14, 2013, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,146 Posts
Bajora, it's like dazzle camoflage. Spectacular !

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:21 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikbaci View Post
I just ordered one today and it will be here in 2 days...
Dod you fly yours yet?
Mik
Tomorrow. Assembly manual suggests it should take an hour to assemble? Not sure if that applies to the RTF and the ARF? In any event, took me closer to three. But then that is just me I think! That includes soldering bullets and a Deans on the ESC, hot gluing the wing servos in, mounting the rudder and elevator servos in the fuselage. I had the airframe done in about an hour but the radio, power system and programming took the balance of the time.

I like the access hatch on the bottom of the lower wing, which gets you into the radio/servo compartment. Another hatch up front is for the battery. With a 3S 1000mAh pack, this plane is really light! Will run it across the scales tomorrow, as well as check power output.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by stevespana
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
575 Posts
Nice report and great photo's Bajora.

Now, we all await the flight report with baited breath.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Dec 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,462 Posts
Bajora - thanks for the photos. You have a way with the camera, for sure.

I am impressed with the control horns. Why didn't I think of that design? If those are commercially available anywhere, I want to know.

Birthday is coming
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 15, 2013, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by flybaby747
The original Flybaby
Australia, TAS, Quoiba
Joined Mar 2004
44 Posts
I'm keen to get one of these myself in the next couple of days , looks like a real winner in my books , has anyone though about throwing a little more power under the hood to see how she goes , or is the stock motor got enough power?

cheers
Fbaby
flybaby747 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby747
Old Dec 15, 2013, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by frankisawombat
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Sep 2013
102 Posts
Subbiedubbiewubbie
frankisawombat is offline Find More Posts by frankisawombat