HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Not on the maiden but they do have about 500' of a nice cut runway (as good as a golf fairway).

Can't say at this point as the biggest problem in Ridge is the limited airspace.
Been flying my 8lb Habu 32 at Ridge this year. Airspace is not a problem for landing or takeoff. The limited airspace does limit the speeds though!

Even at 10lbs your Rafale will have a lower wing load.

Nice work so far, look fwd to video also.
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 172AMD View Post
Been flying my 8lb Habu 32 at Ridge this year. Airspace is not a problem for landing or takeoff. The limited airspace does limit the speeds though!

Even at 10lbs your Rafale will have a lower wing load.

Nice work so far, look fwd to video also.
I guess that may fit the bill as I'm a bit concern whether the airframe would handle a full throttle flight.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:10 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,215 Posts
this is one of those cicumstances where a g load meter would be nice to play with
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
this is one of those cicumstances where a g load meter would be nice to play with
LOL, no time to look at a meter while flying.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
902 Posts
Quote:
I guess that may fit the bill as I'm a bit concern whether the airframe would handle a full throttle flight.
sk

You should send an email to Aeronaut and see if the air frame can handle your power setup.
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
sk

You should send an email to Aeronaut and see if the air frame can handle your power setup.
I think I'm just going to take it easy at first and not push it too hard.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:32 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
902 Posts
They made have a couple of suggestions on areas to reinforce. I really like what you have done so far.
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
They made have a couple of suggestions on areas to reinforce. I really like what you have done so far.
So far the only reinforcement I have done to the actual shell is laying some 1k carbon cloth on the bottom of the fuse as most people have done (just under the
ducting, that stiffened the fuse), still need to figure out the wings as there is no wing spare that goes through the fuse, the wings have balsa reinforced glass spares, the wings get glued to the side of the fuse like most het jets and then there's two layers of glass cloth and resin to reinforce the joint.
Last edited by super kupfer; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Pictures to reference post #127 (should give you some idea).
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:19 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
882 Posts
Be sure to drill some small holes through the carbon So your epoxy can flow into them and create a stronger bond when cured. It lets the epoxy act like a rivet.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:47 PM
USA, NC, Hope Mills
Joined Jan 2010
256 Posts
You can install a wing tube. It will be tricky but its possible. You can cut a small hole thru the carbon fiber. Then get an aluminum tube and cut notches in one of the ends to use it as a drill. Set the wing equally spaced to allow to the tube to be centered. You can build support wedges out of balsa or foam (just like a shuck). The only part you might not like is the removing of a little slice of the wing to allow the cutting of the inner part of the foam inside the wing.
Gamalier is offline Find More Posts by Gamalier
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:26 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Be sure to drill some small holes through the carbon So your epoxy can flow into them and create a stronger bond when cured. It lets the epoxy act like a rivet.
Hi, that's a good idea, Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamalier View Post
You can install a wing tube. It will be tricky but its possible. You can cut a small hole thru the carbon fiber. Then get an aluminum tube and cut notches in one of the ends to use it as a drill. Set the wing equally spaced to allow to the tube to be centered. You can build support wedges out of balsa or foam (just like a shuck). The only part you might not like is the removing of a little slice of the wing to allow the cutting of the inner part of the foam inside the wing.
I was thinking about it but each of the wing panels are only 12.5" long (stubby little wings).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:10 AM
USA, NC, Hope Mills
Joined Jan 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking about it but each of the wing panels are only 12.5" long (stubby little wings).
Either use a shorter tube or you can use 1/2 or 3/8 (13 or 10mm) carbon rods and install them as anti rotation pins. 4" in the front 8" in the back. They will give you extra strength and you can use regular drills to make the holes.
Gamalier is offline Find More Posts by Gamalier