i_am_mark_evans is online now Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by Cush
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
United Kingdom, England, Poole
Joined Mar 2001
700 Posts
Libelle is OK to learn on - but as Mark says doesn't launch very high - but thermals OK and is easy to fly. When you get to a" proper" DLG you will be amazed at how high it will launch. I'm no superstar but I've had many thermal flights launching in the park in the English drizzle. My best launches with the Libelle are only 75ft which means you have to perfect your thermal recognition skills - which can only be good thing.

For me the best use of the Libelle is to discus launch it into slope lift that I couldn't normally reach - for example from the bottom of small cliffs with no access to the top or chucking it up so that I can then soar the roof of of the Scout hut.

If you have problems getting your head around DLG launch modes there is plenty of stuff hereor on Youtube for the Googling. But all you need to fly successfully is just to have a trimmed glider without any camber changing at all.

I would avoid a Blaster 3 until you have already played with a full size. I've not had one but as they are hollow molded they are bit more delicate on the ground. A solid cored wing may be a better bet - and the latest generation may have a better performance than the old blaster I think.

Biggest problem (apart from price) for a decent DLG is availability. You will probably have to import one to get the best price and may have a long lead time.

Have a look at the last couple of pages of this thread. There is plenty of discussion around the availability of cheap 1.5m DLGs like the Longshot 4 and Topsky 3. They may be a bit dated but will get a good launcher to a good height.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2336910&page=9

Carry on with the Libelle - it can be very rewarding - and when you get a proper DLG you will be well placed to make the most of it. (They sell on 2nd hand market quickly as well).

Just my 0.02 Euros worth
Cush is online now Find More Posts by Cush
Old Today, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by Cloudriderurt
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
241 Posts
Deflation

By the time you posted that went down to 0.018 Euros btw
Cloudriderurt is online now Find More Posts by Cloudriderurt
Old Today, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
I have been told for even a experienced dlg flyer, the Libelle is quite hard to thermal easily, and doesn't launch high enough (but then it was never designed to fly like a proper 1.5 model)
I haven't ever flown a Libelle or seen a Libelle fly. That said 20 years ago RC hand launch was people javelin throwing 300-450 gram models with about the wing area of the Libelle and the best throwers were throwing to about 60 feet. I started out with a ~425 gram model and I could throw to about 30 feet. The Libelle won't throw as high as a 1.5 meter composite DLG and the flight envelope is a bit limited over such a model as well. But compared to state of the art 20 years ago the Libelle is actually quite good. Most folks here these days didn't experience that time of hand launch so compared to a Blaster or a Stobel or whatever the Libelle is weak. But for those of us that were around during the earlier days of RC hand launch if we compare it to what we had then it is probably pretty good.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Today, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
312 Posts
If vladimir made the 'strong' version a solid core wing I'd be placing a order for a B3 today and the poor Libelle would take place on the shelf already haha.

But it's a cool little model and I'm happy I bought mine, makes you want a nice 1.5 composite model quickly though (maybe Dream Flight should make one)
Old Today, 08:45 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,793 Posts
Quote:
If vladimir made the 'strong' version a solid core wing I'd be placing a order for a B3 today
Its always going to be something. If there was a solid core wing then you would think "well if only it had a more modern foil". Then if it had a more modern foil you would think "well if only it had a more modern fuselage". Then you would think "well if only it had a high aspect ratio wing and then I could launch it higher".

Ryan
Old Today, 08:50 AM
Joined Jun 2013
312 Posts
If it were only cheaper
Old Today, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by thenickdude
New Zealand, Otago, Dunedin
Joined Aug 2014
529 Posts
Hi Mark, thanks for the craft suggestions, I'll look into those!

I'm in New Zealand, which is probably a slightly sunnier version of the UK. Everything is an import here.

Hi Cush, thanks for the suggestions too, I'll check those out.
thenickdude is online now Find More Posts by thenickdude
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:04 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,793 Posts
My suggestion to you is to wait until mid July to buy another model. At that time the F3K worlds will have completed and you can find out whatever surprise new (or not) model was flown to win it. Then you can get that and then you won't have the constant "well for 20 pounds more this would be better but then for 30 pounds more this would be better".

Ryan
Old Today, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by thenickdude
New Zealand, Otago, Dunedin
Joined Aug 2014
529 Posts
Ryan, at the moment my decision process has been more focused on "well, this model looks fantastic but it has me drilling and cutting holes everywhere and fibreglassing using tools I don't own and wouldn't know how to use if I did", I miss the Libelle's idiot-proof construction . My current construction capability is "well, I've never used CA before but it seems straightforward. Wait, there are thin, medium and thick varieties, which do I use??".
thenickdude is online now Find More Posts by thenickdude
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:38 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,793 Posts
Nick,

That suggestion was for Mark Evans. Each person is different and each person's path is different.

My suggestion for you would be to find out how close you live to Joe Wurts and the other DLG folks in New Zealand. If you are in reasonable travel distance meet/fly with them and then see if they have anything used that they are interested in parting with.

My secondary suggestion is to build a simple/cheap kit of some sort. Maybe even download plans for a free flight DLG. Get some experience gluing, cutting, etc. AKA model building.

Ryan
Old Today, 10:35 AM
Joined Jun 2013
312 Posts
Nah I couldn't care any less what model win's what, and I don't have the money for a model of that class anyway.

I had my heart set on a B3 but don't think it's the right choice for me here in the UK so I may well likely just stick with my Libelle and just fly with what I have. I may never catch a thermal with it but I'm ok with that, happy just chucking it and hand catching.

Thanks for any advice anyone has given me, all appreciated

Mark
Old Today, 10:40 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,793 Posts
Quote:
Nah I couldn't care any less what model win's what, and I don't have the money for a model of that class anyway.
Sure, but then at least you could finally rid yourself of the "oh, X would be a little better than Y. Oh, but Z would be a little better than X" disease and just focus on the flying.

Quote:
I may well likely just stick with my Libelle and just fly with what I have.
That is probably one of the wisest things you could do at least for the near term.

Quote:
I may never catch a thermal with it but I'm ok with that, happy just chucking it and hand catching.
I bet you will work thermals with it.

Ryan
Old Today, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by balesse
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
814 Posts
I second that the Libelle will thermal just fine, it is just at a disadvantage with launch height. Keep in mind that it is at a huge advantage in terms of cost, fixability, and ease of assembly!

If you are looking to get your first 1.5m dlg I suggest hooking up with a group of local flyers (potentially by going to a contest) and ask if anyone has a used plane for $X. Depending on what your X is, you could get any number of options. If you are willing to do some repairs, let them know, and it is likely there that someone around can tell you what the repair will entail.

I got my first 1.5 for about $200. It was beat up, heavy, and already had a number of repairs. But it had all the servos in it and flew great!
balesse is online now Find More Posts by balesse