SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2006, 11:50 PM
Joined Apr 2006
26 Posts
Discussion
Blimp envelope ready!

Hello everyone....here's our blimp envelope ready! inflated with air to check geometry, syringe valve (guga's trademark!!) ....soon we will make the first test flight....comments welcome!

Dujo
Dujo is offline Find More Posts by Dujo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2006, 01:26 AM
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Beautiful ! It looks great. How did you make it? What material did you use and how did you get that shape to it?

It looks to be about 2 metres long.
Nixie is offline Find More Posts by Nixie
Old May 07, 2006, 08:08 AM
Marcus Franco
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Jul 2004
2,887 Posts
Hei Dujo...
Looks good... Yes tell us how long and what material...and let us know how myou going to attach the gondola to the envelope... post some photos...
Guga is offline Find More Posts by Guga
Old May 07, 2006, 11:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
26 Posts
At least finished!! photos

Thanks nixie and guga for your comments...the material is PVC film, (donīt remember the thicknes...), hand glued, 2.5 meters long...the shape: we first design it in Rhino, a 3D software, then extract the gores, 6 of them...the gondola, as u can see in teh picture, itīs attached to the envelope with "chupas" (donīt know the english word)...and some rope, and most important with the help of velcro...the tail is also attached with velcro...seems nice, only rest the test flight...wish us luck!! some advice to take before getting to the air???

Dujo
Old May 08, 2006, 07:30 AM
Marcus Franco
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Jul 2004
2,887 Posts
I Think is going to Fly fine Dujo, and the gondola atachment seems to be fine and secure...
Good and happy flying...
Guga is offline Find More Posts by Guga
Old May 08, 2006, 07:30 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,792 Posts
Tape your antenae wires down so they don't get hit/sucked into the propellers.

Great Job guys!
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old May 09, 2006, 03:40 AM
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
What was the glue you used? And does Rhino give you the volume (I know it can change according to pressure) ?

After using Rhino, how did you make a template to cut the PVC film shapes?
Old May 09, 2006, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2006
26 Posts
hi nixie...it's a PVC based glue, here in colombia is known as "pegaucho", similar to that used to glue shoe soles and leather...rhino give us the geometric volume, but it doesnīt take in account the compression and pressure...te template to the gores was ploted, then traced into hard card.. (again donīt know the english word, the material used in boxes)...then trace it in the PVC film.... bye

Dujo
Old May 09, 2006, 11:40 PM
Lebanon Oregon
Joined Mar 2004
15 Posts
material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dujo
Hello everyone....here's our blimp envelope ready! inflated with air to check geometry, syringe valve (guga's trademark!!) ....soon we will make the first test flight....comments welcome!

Dujo

Where did you get your PVC material?
papajohn is offline Find More Posts by papajohn
Old May 10, 2006, 07:16 AM
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Dujo, why don't you put a nice pvc 'DUJO' sign on each side? It would look really cool.

Anyway, how many litres is it?
Old May 10, 2006, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2006
26 Posts
hi guys....our PVC is locally availabe, here in medellin, colombia...called plastextil, they specialize in all kinf of plastic-based fabrics...and,Nixie..check out a previos post called 3d digital render of our blimp...bye
Old May 10, 2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Optimist
Brighton, UK
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Dujo, what did you use to get the air in it? I've just made a very similar envelope, a little bigger, and now I want to blow it up with air and check it's all sealed and stuff, but I haven't got anything to do it with... I thought I'd use a big bike pump I've got but on testing, it'd be far too slow!

I did the same as you, modelled it in Rhino and then extracted the flat shapes - handy knowing the volume like that, isn't it?
shermarama is offline Find More Posts by shermarama
Old May 10, 2006, 04:49 PM
Registered Optimist
Brighton, UK
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie
What was the glue you used? And does Rhino give you the volume (I know it can change according to pressure) ?

After using Rhino, how did you make a template to cut the PVC film shapes?
Incidentally, if this helps, I did my original model in Rhino and then to to get the template pieces, I used a data projector (borrowed one where I work) to project them on to a wall. Big piece of paper (wallpaper sort of size) blu-tacked to the wall, then drew round the lines...

I originally tried using an OHP with the images printed onto acetate transparencies, but I was using a reference square of a known size to get the scale right, and using an OHP the square was rather distorted and elongated. The data projected square was undistorted, though.
Old May 10, 2006, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2005
607 Posts
shermama and Dujo,

I think u guys are doing great. It would be lovely to have a few pics showing the different stages of your building, especially the process of sticking pieces together.

I think you would emulate lots of new builders, then we could all help each other to build god and cheap blimps. What do you think ?

Phil
philgib is online now Find More Posts by philgib
Old May 10, 2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Optimist
Brighton, UK
Joined Apr 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgib
shermama and Dujo,

I think u guys are doing great. It would be lovely to have a few pics showing the different stages of your building, especially the process of sticking pieces together.

I think you would emulate lots of new builders, then we could all help each other to build god and cheap blimps. What do you think ?

Phil
I'm not sure how well photos of the construction process would work. I'm heat-sealing the mylar together with an iron and it just looks like a big heap of stuff... Mind you, this is for a university project and perhaps I ought to be keeping more record of what I'm doing.