SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2002, 01:06 AM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Twin 180 Pusher

Hi All

Here are some photos of a Falcon, aka as the Sky Zap in the US. The original is steered by motor control, which means that when the battery is dead, you can't steer it.

It turned out to be a really good glider, so I decided to toss out the reciever and speed control and add a couple of Hitec 55s and a Feather reciever to it and now all I can say is WOW!!!

The only time I ever have to go to 3/4 throttle is on take off .
It flies on wing, but this teaches one how to really fly, it would make a great starter plane.

30 min is about I can take staring at a speck in the sky. My eyes are watering by then. After a break and I simpily toss it back in the air with the remaining charge!

I'm having fun now!

Alfred

Sob, I just sold it! 16 Nov 03!
Alfred is offline Find More Posts by Alfred
Last edited by Alfred; Nov 10, 2003 at 05:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2002, 01:07 AM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Here is another shot
Old May 22, 2002, 01:08 AM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
And one more. Will try to get some flight shots if I can get someone to follow me to the field!
Old May 22, 2002, 10:35 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Very cool Alfred! So did you hook up both motors to a single speed control when you reworked the equipment?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old May 22, 2002, 03:51 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Alfred, how tough are these wings? I think I can buy them at my LHS, so with that, a carbon boom and some meat trays, I could put a plane together quickly.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old May 22, 2002, 06:25 PM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Tres - both motors are hooked up to a 5 amp GWS esc.

Pierre - The wing are foam but it seens to have a hard skin on it. They are quite tough, let me explain. I bought the plane in China and did not realize that the factory had hooked up the controls bacwards! This thing had no control surfaces as it was orginally thrust controlled, so it's not that obvious! Left was Right and vise versa. I tossed it into the air flew great till I made a control input then CRASH!

Walk over and guess what, no damage!

I however, like an idot decide that I could still fly this - now knowing that this was reversed - simpily put in all the directional controls backwards!

Works fine for the few seconds only. I crashed it 3 more times that first day and it was in the last flight that the wing snapped clean near the right motor. this was taken care of with some epoxy and clear tape and it has been fine since.

It's a good wing and this little plane makes a good lightweight TD machine.

Alfred
Old May 22, 2002, 11:17 PM
santa ana ca usa
Joined Nov 2000
81 Posts
ALFRED
the wing is almost the same as the hobby people watt age wind cruser $8, but i have only seen one motor come in and it was $10, maybe 4 b2 motors in the back?
charles
charles packard is offline Find More Posts by charles packard
Old May 22, 2002, 11:43 PM
Resident Maniac
Beach, California
Joined Mar 2002
234 Posts
Alfred,
Where'd you buy this plane? Is it online? the 60 min flights with a 600 is great. How many amps are you pulling? I think liths would be great if it's under 3 amp current pull. Thanks.
Toasty
Toaster is offline Find More Posts by Toaster
Old May 23, 2002, 01:28 AM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Charles - the Wattage Cruiser is made by the same company, so I believe that the wing might be the same. The motors are chinese made 180s, read as cheap, and I don't expect them to last very long, but having said that, I have several hours thru them already.

I don't think that there are too many companies making model planes in China, just a few and they OEM for the different US companies.

Toaster - I bought this plane on a trip to China, but I believe that it is sold in the US as the Sky Zap.

Please note, I am not talking about 60 min of motor on time. This plane thermals well, but having said that I have not ended a flight with no charge left.

No idea on the amps, but I don't expect the 180s to take too much. Most low level cruising was with 60-75% throttle.

Alfred
Old May 23, 2002, 06:14 AM
Manassas, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2002
651 Posts
Here is the sky zap. It looks the same alright

And here it is at tower. I wonder if they sell the airframe seperatly.

EDIT: They do sell parts seperatly. Go to the tower hobbies link above and click on replacement parts.
Stregone is offline Find More Posts by Stregone
Old May 23, 2002, 10:41 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
I bought a Sky Zap for from Tower's scratch and dent sale a few months ago (for cheap). It needs wing and tail repair.

I haven't tried to fly it yet. I'm debating wheter to try it first with the standard differential thrust set up or go to 3 channel as Alfred did.

Alfred, how did it fly with just the standard motor control?

Larry
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old May 23, 2002, 12:13 PM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Hi Flyjoy

I must admit that it would fly with the standard setup. Even though the qc on mine was bad, see earlier post, I managed to fly it and that is when I realized that it was a good glider (actually it was more like when I didn't fly it, as everytime I put in a control input, it was all backwards and that is when it crashed!)

If you fly it in stock form, the flights will be short, coz even if you specked it out, when the battery dies you will have no directional control. I am glad I decided to put regular gear in I really enjoy flying it now!

Alfred
Old May 23, 2002, 04:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Annerley
Joined Mar 2002
315 Posts
Hiya Alfred,
Can we have some additional details, like servo location, CG, equipment used and stuff like that? Pics would be great too. Thanks.
shazi is offline Find More Posts by shazi
Old May 23, 2002, 11:43 PM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Photos as requested!

Hi Shazi

here are some photos as requested.

The servos are where the original receiver/esc were. Mounted them on simple balsa rails.

In the pink sponge is the new reciever. I use to wrap then from my slimer days. Is this necessary?

The white foam came with the kit and is where the 600nimh goes.

Hope all this helps

Alfred
Old May 23, 2002, 11:45 PM
Perth
Joined Apr 2002
1,122 Posts
Motor connection

Here is a shot of the motors. You can see that I soldered the leads together to made a Y harness that goes to the ESC.