SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:19 AM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Discussion
Has this ever been modelled?

For quite a while, I've been wondering whether or not this aircraft has ever been modelled. The Heinkel HE 119. While it was a twin engine aircraft, both engine fed into one drive shaft, which turned the prop, making it theoretically a very clean flying machine.

It is also quite attractive.

About the only problem I could see in modelling it is the fact that the nose of the aircraft is also the canopy. Here is a link to a three view:

http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/germany/he-119.gif

Hopefully, this will be accessible.

As you might be able to see, this also had a float version.

If this has never been modelled before, I'm wondering if this'd be a doable project, as I think there has to be ventilation for an electric motor. Anyone have any helpful suggestions?
maxmwill is offline Find More Posts by maxmwill
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,168 Posts
It would be a really interesting project, I think I would be tempted to shaft drive the prop in the same way, place the motor behind the cockpit, although it says surface radiators where used for cooling there is a large belly scoop which you could use to cool the motor.

Never seen it modelled myself
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,038 Posts
Yes, it is interesting. However, if you want the clear cockpit area then the motor is pretty much at the wing leading edge and even with the batteries right behind it, the effective nose moment is awfully short. Certainly the weight of any cockpit detail would work in your favour!

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine