HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:45 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,256 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it long after my next 5 reincarnations:
Aeromodelling as a hobby is 80% building and 20% flying. To prove this, how much time you spend building in the nice surroundings of your home? How much time you spend flying on a Sunday afternoon? I think you spend building 80% of your free time building and 20% of it flying. SO the hobby is mainly building which incidentally brings the most satisfaction. Foams and ARFs (dog's bark) have a place in our hobby, naturally, BUT there's nothing like building one's own model being from kit or plan and watch it flying!!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:40 PM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
I have said it before and I will say it long after my next 5 reincarnations:
Aeromodelling as a hobby is 80% building and 20% flying. To prove this, how much time you spend building in the nice surroundings of your home? How much time you spend flying on a Sunday afternoon? I think you spend building 80% of your free time building and 20% of it flying. SO the hobby is mainly building which incidentally brings the most satisfaction. Foams and ARFs (dog's bark) have a place in our hobby, naturally, BUT there's nothing like building one's own model being from kit or plan and watch it flying!!!
I agree with you absolutely.

Elijah.
hlsat is online now Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Oh, goody, just what the hobby needs, purists coming out and making the world safe for the 'real' modelers...

Some get more joy from piloting and holding the control stick than from holding an x-acto knife.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,936 Posts
Well this is a plans thread, meaning it's most likely for builders....

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding about the thread's name. You state Pre 1977 plans only. The other thread states Pre 1960 only. In Pre 1977. all models previous to 1977 and passing back 1960 can also be included because you did not say on what year to stop.
No, you did not misunderstand. My intent was anything prior to 1977 but I also did not want to destroy the pre 1960 thread. I did expect more duplication in both threads.

Since I mostly prefer modern general aviation planes I started this thread. I do not own this thread and I do not moderate it. Moderation, if any, is done by RCG admins/moderators but I have not seen any moderation or any need so far.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:45 AM
Superbobik
Joined Jun 2012
49 Posts
Edubarca wrote: Aeromodelling as a hobby is 80% building and 20% flying.
I think:
Any modelling is a passion.
Passion - in order to realize their dreams, but not in order to be better than others.
SUPERBOBIK is offline Find More Posts by SUPERBOBIK
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Andy Lenon's Swan

Hello everyone,

I have a particular request.

Andy Lenon's Swan canard design featured on October 1989 Model Builder.
Should this plan not be posted here, would you, please, send me a PM?

All the best.

Ar.
argat1 is offline Find More Posts by argat1
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:10 AM
North Island of New Zealand
Joined Jan 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argat1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a particular request.

Andy Lenon's Swan canard design featured on October 1989 Model Builder.
Should this plan not be posted here, would you, please, send me a PM?

All the best.

Ar.
Id like to second that
AirspeedNZ is offline Find More Posts by AirspeedNZ
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,613 Posts
Here's one. I tried to salvage the whole issue but it was crumbling in my hands and I didn't want any crumbs or dust on my scanner. I managed to save one full sized plan.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
That was a very real problem for me also. Litteraly had to sweep the remains of several pages off my scanner after saving the info. Somehow, a couple mags from a given year, like say 1946 are still in good condition, but one just a month later or earlier fall apart if you breath too heavy on a page. Just wish I had the scanner about 5 years ago when I first had to start purging my collection. I had to throw out about 3 times as many mags as I got to scan. Had the better part of almost 60 years of model plane and train mags, but age and pests like mice and silverfish got into some of them. I especially regret losing a couple from the late 30's, and an old Air Trails from Dec 1941 that had a bicture of a B-17C and a caption that said "With Planes like these, no one would dare attack us!" I almost cried when I went to the box in my garage rafters, saw the hole in it, and opened the box to find a recently abandoned mouse nest. The little monsters also invaded a Top Flite red box F4-U I had, wrecking and contaminating most of the balsa and plans.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Last edited by thechannelmast; Nov 18, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,559 Posts
Just thought I'd bump this to see if this thread it hasn't completely died. I like seeing the plans. Especially the scale plans. Better than goin thru a stack of old magazines.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
It is a shame this thread is not more active, there have been some very good designs from the 1970s. I think it would also be nice to see designs that other people have done and never had published, not just foam but the real thing (wood). be it FF, RC, or CL.
helmsman is offline Find More Posts by helmsman
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:52 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
It is a shame this thread is not more active, there have been some very good designs from the 1970s. I think it would also be nice to see designs that other people have done and never had published, not just foam but the real thing (wood). be it FF, RC, or CL.
This thread was partly scuppered before it got going by the dreaded CP. Pre 1960 thread had lots of 70`s designs before the pre 1960 tag was added, that thread has also slowed to a trickle. The FF and CL threads are still fairly vibrant but the majority of pans posted are from the UK magazines with a few contributions non english magazines and the very occasional one from an american magazine. For plans from the Americian magazines you have to either go to hippocket or to outerzone were lot of plans from american magazine are direct submissions to the site. Although widly used Vintage only applies to wine , so what constitutes an old timer is an open ended question. Perhaps the thread need renaming without the 77 only tag.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
81 Posts
Lets hope this thread does not become last of the summer wine. This was an interesting time for R/C model flying. It started with single channel and ended up with cheap`ish two channel propo prompting some good designs. PS. Thank you Aeromeddeler for your input to these threads.
helmsman is offline Find More Posts by helmsman